My city (Amersfoort) in early spring

Crocuses everywhere

Crocuses in various colors

Enjoying the sun

The city gate

There is nothing more exciting than the coming of spring that I look forward to every year. The long drag of winter especially after the snow or ice is gone simply gets too much that everyone here can hardly wait for the herald of the new season. Spring to me starts when the crocuses wake up from their slumber, sprouting through the ground and blanketing open spaces in yellows, whites, purples and lilacs. The Dutch with their passion for flowers and organization, ensures that spring follows a synchronized order with the daffodils following the crocuses in the blooming game. Tulips cap the spring beauty pageant.

My little girl wasn't able to resist the flowers

My advice to would be visitors to Holland is to come in spring. This country is simply awesome and experiencing this season here is the dream of a lifetime come true. Everywhere is abloom and going out is just a pleasure. If you are a photography enthusiast, you’ll never run out of subjects.

Running around enjoying spring

One early springtime almost 2 years ago, we went to the city center for a little stroll. Although temperature-wise it was still very chilly, the sun was shining and the sky was blue…just the perfect spring day for a little stroll. We had a great time just sitting on the bench enjoying the sun rays and admiring the beauty around us. And like any typical Dutch, we brought our lunch with us which we ate at the city square.

Centuries-old buildings

Centuries-old buildings in the city centre

Lunch at the city square

One of the city canals

We live in Amersfoort, a municipality and the second largest city in the province of Utrecht. It is a city with a long history having celebrated its 750th birthday in 2009. This city is known too by a few names such as the “City with a heart” and “Boulder City”. The former is attributed to the heart-shape formation of the city centre which is visible from the air.

Old map of Amersfoort (taken from Wikipedia)

Amersfoort is not part of the usual tourist route but below is a list of places to see when in the city:

1. The Tower of Our Lady (Onze Lieve Vrouwentoren) – one of the tallest medieval church towers in the Netherlands at 98 meters. The construction of the tower was started in 1444. The church was destroyed by an explosion in 1787, but the tower survived.

The Tower of Our Lady (summer picture)

2. The inner city of Amersfoort has been preserved well since the Middle Ages. Apart from the Onze Lieve Vrouwentoren, the Koppelpoort and the Muurhuizen (Wall Houses), there is also the Sint Joris Church, the canal system with its bridges as well as medieval and other old buildings, many designed as national monuments.

A canal close to the home of Piet Mondriaan

If you want to see more of the Netherlands and want to get away from touristy Amsterdam, hop into an intercity train to Amersfoort. The train ride takes just a good half an hour and you are already in this lovely city. It is also very much possible to make a side trip to Spakenburg to see those women in traditional costume (see my earlier blog about them). That is just a bus ride away from the train station.

More pictures of Amersfoort:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

290 Responses to My city (Amersfoort) in early spring

1. It looks as though you are wishing the winter away!

• You’re spot on. This winter has been the mildest that I’ve experienced in this country since coming here 13 years ago. Not a single snow has fallen and there were days that the temperature were above double-digit Celsius. We’ve only had storm and rain so far. We were out today for a little walk and guess what I saw — crocuses already out and about to bloom. That’s 2 months too early considering that it is only early January.

2. Stunning photographs. What a beautiful city to live in!

3. ichbinhungry says:

We’ve hardly had a winter to wish away – it didn’t snow a single time, and it’s been in the sixties this whole month. As nice as it feels, it scares me when there’s no winter..

4. What a beautiful place to live. When I was young, the spring bulbs were my favorite. Mom had crocuses scattered all over the lawn because they came and went before the grass. Soon after there were daffodils, tulips, and hyacinth in beds around the yard and in bowls and vases in the house. You make me jealous and also excited for spring.

• That’s what is beautiful about this country, the spring blooms that come in an organized way — crocuses, daffodils and tulips. Every open space are exploding with these blooms so it is always a pleasure to stroll, cycle or roam around.

5. Joliluja says:

So beautiful! I absolutely love the city gate! Jealous!

• Thanks! There are several of these city gates here and the biggest is actually not in the picture. I love this particular city gate especially in spring because of those crocuses. It also looks spectacular in autumn when the leaves of the trees in this park are changing colors.

6. Great photos of a lovely city!

7. Hello! I am so glad that your blog exists! My family is Dutch turned American, and many of our ancestors lived in Utrecht, and a few in Amersfoort! Your blog is fantastic- I myself have wondered what it would be like to move to the Netherlands and pursue my education further and stay there.

Also, your post about stroopwafels made me very envious. They looked delicious. I will definitely be stopping by your blog very often! Thank you for sharing your life with us via your blog!

Bedankt!

• Wow, I’m glad that you like my posts here. In case you are interested about studying here, check this link for international courses: http://www.nuffic.nl In case you have further question, just drop me a line.

Well, why not come over for a holiday and get re-acquainted with your relatives here. Spring is always a great time.

8. serio13 says:

I spent a few glorious days in Holland in Spring, 2004. I did leave Amsterdam for a few of those days, as my cousin and I took a train out of the city and ended up in Haarlem. There we enjoyed a street fair, where I purchased some stroopwafels, among some other treats. I look forward to returning to The Netherlands, and I hope to at some point within the next few months, as I’ll be living in Europe.

Excellent blog, and beautiful photos!

• Haarlem is a very nice old city that’s also excellent for sightseeing. I’ve only been there once. I also saw it another time from the air while on my way to London and it was amazing because that was also spring so the view from the top was that of tapestry of flowers.

9. Bonnie says:

Breathtaking pictures – you live in a very beautiful city indeed! :)

10. JudyinFrance says:

I loved your comments. Thank you. One of these years, I am going to make it to your area to see all the tulips in bloom. I remember being in Paris in about 1970 and seeing one of the huge parks planted – acres of tulips and daffodils. It was amazing.
    Judy

11. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I’m glad to find yours – . I love the Netherlands, especially Amsterdam. I always thought that area would be an amazing place to live. I couldn’t get enough of the bikes and canals, and sense of family you see out and about. I look forward to experiencing it again through your posts and lovely pictures….

• I’m happy to stumble upon your blog and to see those places in the Mediterranean through the eyes of a fellow traveler, a foreigner in a new country. I’m glad to know that you love this country and indeed, it is an amazing place to live in. More posts to come…

12. Malou, I am dying to visit Holland someday. It’s been on my list for a while now. I love finding out-of-the-way places that are not standard tourist haunts. Your city is lovely.

• I’ll be posting more on other great places to see here in Holland, Andra. There are simply quite a lot of them which unfortunately are overlooked in favor of the big drawers like Amsterdam.

13. I absolutely enjoyed your article….it reminds me of Belgium and my summer months there in 2001 – great memories!

14. derdo says:

Hi Malou. Would you believe these waffles are made here in the Philippines now? The mom of a boy I used to tutor is into that business. She bought the recipe from a Dutch!

15. derdo says:

Oops, posted the comment on waffles here instead of in your next entry. Sorry. But you’re so lucky to be living in the municipality where you are. It looks so lovely. And Francesca here still looked like a baby!

• No worries. Yes, we love living here in Amersfoort because it is a lovely city that’s pretty central to everything. These pictures are from almost 2 years ago and Francesca has of course, changed a lot.

16. Beautiful pictures and your daughter is so pretty.

17. Hi there, just enjoying your lovely pix and recipes. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

• Thanks a lot, Delia. I also enjoyed your cooking blogs. Those cookies of yours reminded me of my baking session with my daughter because she enjoyed shaping the cookies which are these shapes you have.

18. Your canal photo was GORGEOUS! You are so lucky to have so much beauty around you.

19. Lu says:

It must be so beautiful to see the fields of tulips – I’ve seen them from the air, when travelling in and out of Schiphol Airport – but never on the ground. One day! Amersfoort looks like a lovely place to live, quite idyllic :)

20. jellevr says:

Those pictures sure are lovely. I have never been in Amersfoort, though my father works there. Very interesting to read about it all. Thanks for reading my blog by the way!

• Hartstikke bedankt, Jelle! Come and visit Amersfoort and even do a side trip to Amsterdam which is already a short distance away.

I like your blog so keep posting. I’ll try your appelflappen this weekend. I love it so much. You can also post more stuffs about Holland especially about Friesland.

21. annab81 says:

Thanks for the like! Great photos. Amersfoort looks beautiful. I will have to come check it out on my next European adventure!

22. Kristy says:

Oh your pictures are just lovely! I know if we ever get a chance to visit Holland we’re going to stop in Amersfoort. The pictures of your daughter with the flowers are just priceless. The kinds of memories that will be cherished I’m sure. :)

23. contadina says:

I’m utterly enchanted by your photography, it’s the perfect tonic for a chilly January day. Once I’ve finished feasting on your photographs I shall attempt to make some almond brittle using your peanut brittle recipe.

24. morporc says:

cool blog . i loved amsterdam , i only had a week there , i would have liked to have stayed longer and seen more of the country….

25. Looks like a lovely place to live. I’ll definitely keep it mind when I’m planning my next Europe trip: Holland in spring. Your daughter is gorgeous, too.

• Yes, it is a lovely place to live and we are petty close to many nice places to see. We have a few castles and palaces nearby and forests as well for those weekend walks that we like to do.

26. What a gorgeous place you live – imagine living inside a heart, how romantic! And those crocuses…almost as beautiful as your daughter :)

• It is amazing to see this city in the shape of the heart and it is 753 years old already. Regardless of the season, we always enjoy going to the city for a stroll. My daughter loves flowers so spring is really her favorite time of the year too.

27. S Joe says:

I am going to make it to Netherland someday. What a beautiful place. I’d heard its beautiful but only now I really understand what people mean by that. :)

• Keep that dream and it will come true someday. It is no exaggeration when they say that this is a beautiful country — the springtime scenery will just take your breath away.

28. Vic Rana says:

Hi Malou,

Your post reminded me of how much I would look forward to the spring when was in the US.

Somehow the winter seems sooooooo long. I just couldn’t wait for the warmer season to roll down the windows of my car and feel the breeze, you just can’t do that in winter.

Vic

• The winter was too mild this time, Vic. No snow at all and that’s the first time for me in the 13 years that I’ve been here. Thus, with rain and overcast sky, I can hardly wait for spring to arrive.

29. krushworth says:

Hello, thank you for liking my post and following my blog across Europe.
    Amersfoort looks brilliant and thank you for posting pictures of your city. Don’t hesitate to come back to my blog, as I’ll keep following yours.

• It is nice to follow your blogs across Europe. I love your posts on Bath where I’ve never been to (yet) and though I’ve been to London a couple of times, they were mostly for work.

I’m glad that you like this post on my city, Amersfoort.

30. wow, will certainly being showing this to my husband. i married into a family of dutch descent (do the wind mill magnets saying “if you ain’t dutch, you ain’t much sound familiar?) :) The city gate… beautiful.

31. Pingback: The travel bug – it’s a disease « RUBYSONGBIRD

32. Malou – OMG!!! Congratulations on getting Freshing Pressed!!! I’m so excited for you! :-) You deserve the honor! Enjoy! :-)

33. Absolutely beautiful, but where is everybody? Thanks for sharing

34. The Hook says:

What a beautiful place to live! Thanks for sharing!

35. Dounia says:

Amazing photos – the town and castle are beautiful and all those crocuses are absolutely lovely. It must be a wonderful live to place! Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on being freshly pressed!

36. Kiera says:

Your hometown is lovely. The buildings look like they’re from a movie! Its not so pretty here in Scotland unfortunately. I look forward to your next post :)

kiera
    justkiera.wordpress.com

• Thanks a lot, Kiera. I also love it there in Scotland. My husband and I visited your part of the world many years ago. We flew to Edinburgh and rented a car, drove up north and back. We visited places like Falkirk, Stirling, Oban, Skye…amazing!

37. Constance V. Walden says:

What a beautiful place to live. I just love the canals and the city gate. Looks like a beautiful place to live. Thank you for sharing the sights. Connie

38. Mary says:

I love your pictures! What a beautiful city.

39. restlessjo says:

You sound very happy with your life and where you are in the world. It’s a pleasure to read.

40. midnitechef says:

I’ve travelled to Brielle in The Netherlands and these pictures take me back! Tulips were blooming while I was there. Ate at the “Black Sheep”, a very cozy French style place, just look for the picture of the Mouton Noir near the college STC. Saw Rotterdam in the evening for dinner, the sea keeps it quite cool in summertime!

Thanks for the memories & congrats on FP!

• I’ve been to Brielle once, long time ago when we still live in Papendrecht. Did you know that April Fool’s day originated in Brielle?

The place is a lovely, a very cozy village.

41. antarabesque says:

Beautiful. I can’t wait to go back…

42. I love the pictures of you and your little girl. I lost my ex step-daughter about six years ago. She was the apple of my eye. She was about the age of your daughter when I married her Mother (my now ex-wife of about 25 years now) about 40 years ago. She was a professor at a college when she was killed by a drunk driver, high also on drugs. She was walking on campus with a walk light in the evening after teaching a late class. He ran thru a red light and killed her after cutting of both her legs before crashing into a tree, crushing her body. She was in her forties, a week away from getting married. Sir, you are so blessed.

• I am so sorry to hear about your ex step-daughter. The circumstance in which she was taken away from you is really so tragic. She will be in my prayers. I showed my husband your comment and he was so touched by your reminder that he is so blessed with our little girl. Thank you for your kind words.

43. Rae says:

Wow, the city gate looks like it’s come straight out of a fairy tale. I’m definitely adding Holland on my places to visit after I win the lottery.

44. rmv says:

some of those pictures look almost as real as disneyworld! (see: sarcasm)

45. Great post and beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing!

… following your blog.

46. thorsaurus says:

One good thing to come from global warming, early blooms. :)

• This was already in mid-March 2 years ago but the crocuses are even earlier this year. I saw some buds out already and it is just early January. Winter this year is too mild…we didn’t have snow or ice as the temperature did not drop to freezing.

47. valentinedee says:

Just love the city. Looks so bright and clean and so uncluttered. Am I right? Simply beautiful. Thank you for posting this.

val

48. MichaelEdits says:

Awesome photography

49. mikebehere says:

Wow amazing photos, truely beautiful. I’ve been to Holland twice and never seen Amersfoort. Now I have an excuse to go back, not that I really needed one! Best wishes.

50. What wonderful pictures! Beautiful city and lovely wee daughter! Thanks for finding my blog – I look forward to browsing more of your posts!

51. LadyT says:

great pics… almost unreal and the sky is beautiful!

52. obefromars says:

Enjoyed this post. I am living in Amsterdam at the moment and writing for a paper in the United States. MY time here has caused me to really start getting serious about photography.

53. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed! Only saw this morning when I logged on that you had been.

Well done . . . you’ve got beautiful photographs of your lovely city and your little daughter is adorable!

• Thanks a lot, Lisa. This came as a big surprise and I’m really flattered that writing about the city where we live will awake some interest. I hope one day that you will also visit Amersfoort and see this place for real.

54. Dor says:

I love your photographs and this introduction to your beautiful homeland. My grandfather grew up in Delft and his brother was a professor at the University in Utrecht. From America, I came to Amsterdam in 1970 with my mother and we connected with some of her cousins then. I will eagerly follow your blog since it has already brought me closer to my heritage. Thanks you. Dor

• I’m glad that this blog brought you closer to your heritage. Holland is my adoptive homeland as I am originally from the Philippines. Delft is a beautiful city and actually my husband studied there. One of these days, I’ll blog about Delft. Have you seen the movie “Girl with the pearl earring”? That was filmed in Delft because the movie was about Johannes Vermeer.

• Dor says:

Yes, I did see “Girl with the Pearl Earring” but had no idea it was filmed in Delft. I must watch it again and thank you very much for pointing this out. As I read further into your other blog posts I realized you are from the Philippines and I am now anxious to learn more there too. Your photographs are lovely and better than any touring brochure. I am following you now and have given you the Candle Lighters award. If you have not discovered it yet, you can read about it on my post called “A Blogger’s First Award via Candlelight” at http://notesfromtheblogusfear.wordpress.com . It is my first award for blogging and I am very proud of it and passing it on to a few who I believe also light the way. Dor

55. Hi Malou, congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

56. shitautomo says:

I love Holland! it is my favorite European destination. It’s so mellow and everyone is super friendly, and the landscape is picturesque-so I loved the images that you showed in your blog. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed :)

57. ruth says:

This is awesome – my hometown is Nijkerk and I used to go to school in Amersfoort. I never appreciated its beauty at that time though….thanks for these pictures!

• We’re neighbors, Ruth. Nijkerk is also beautiful but I need to one day really do some sightseeing there. I guess we often overlook what is right before our eyes till other people show us what we are taking for granted. I’ve been like that with the many places in the Philippines till I came here and I cannot see anymore the places and things that used to be so common.

58. Yatin says:

I have always loved your choice for colorful pictures and detailed description of the sites. Congratulations on being freshly pressed!

59. Lovely. I could use a little touch of Spring about now. Have always wanted to come to Holland in the Spring to see the flowers. I want to take one of those river cruises — do you think that would be a good way to see Holland and the flowers? Amersfoort looks charming. Now I’ll have to add it to my list of things to see if/when I ever get to Holland!

• Thanks a lot, Julee. Spring is indeed a lovely time to visit Holland. I haven’t done those river cruises but you can take the train to places like Alkmaar, Lisse, Den Helder to see the flower fields. Hope to see you here in Holland one of these days.

60. Michael Zoll says:

Auf sehr sympatische Art habe ich so etwas über Amersfoort erfahren, gefällt mir sehr!

Gruß aus Berlin,

Michael

61. Pamanner says:

I want to visit! Beautiful pics!

62. Great pix – you’ve completely captured the feel of the place which I last saw myself in springtime. I have particular recollections of devouring frites from a street vendor. The Dutch half of my family live in a village about 5km from it and often go there, it’s their ‘local’ for anything they can’t get in their own town, without having to wade through Utrecht. Don’t get me started about the Dutch mania for organising things!

Thanks for posting!

Matthew Wright

• Thanks a lot, Matthew! It’s nice to know that you have experienced this very kind of springtime here and that you have a connection with this place. Do you visit your Dutch part of the family often?

By the way, I love your blogs…I have to learn more about writing tips from you. Thanks a lot for being generous with your writing tips through your blogs.

• Thanks, glad you like my blog. I don’t get to visit them as often as I’d like, but we are in touch most days via Twitter or skype, it really brings the world down to size.

63. Stumbled upon your blog while browsing through Freshly Pressed. Now missing the Netherlands…wonderful photography, thank you!

64. cpmondello says:

“clean” comes to mind. no trash anywhere. i like that. i clicked because the picture of the first set of building caught my attenion. i am from Boston, Massachusetts, USA, right where “it all began” yet seeing dates on some of the buildings, they are fairly knew compared to the rest of the world. 1895 for instance, down the street, seems “old” but, comparing this to the rest of the world, hardly at all. your pictures are beautiful. a friend from hightschool relocated to the Netherlands. many bikes, less cars, better for the environment. :)

65. It has been my dream for a long time to go to Holland! Those canals just look so beautiful and romantic to me…

66. Beautiful pictures but more beautiful and timeless is that you are making wonderful memories with your little girl. I have a six year old and when we go out together to explore the world….magic happens. Wishing you and your family an amazing 2012…

67. Ook voor een Nederlander leuke foto’s om te bekijken! :-)

68. magnifylife says:

Even though I live in Belgium, which is right next to the Netherlands, I’ve only seen Amsterdam and Sluis… I guess I should really see more of it! Lovely pictures!!

69. Ryan says:

Just put the city on my bucket list to visit! Great photographs!

70. Your city is beautiful — I would love to visit there! There’s something about cities with canals that is so attractive to me, I don’t know why. And the city gate is lovely — what a joy it must be to see in person.

• Thanks a lot. Amersfoort is beautiful and as you love the canals, you can also explore the city on a boat. The city is small and more intimate and exploring it on foot or by boat through the canals are wonderful experiences.

71. Chaks says:

very lovely photos, i liked all of them. The canal photo is superb.

72. Een tante van me woont in Amersfoort, heerlijke stad, maar helaas kom ik er te weinig.. Mooie foto’s ;)

73. barcncpt44 says:

Great photos of Holland. I would like to visit some day.

74. Thank you for posting photos of your hometown. I visited Amsterdam in the fall once and now I realize I must go back in the Spring…so beautiful!

75. danielle876 says:

It’s my dream to travel all around the world someday, and now I’ve put the Netherlands on the list of places to visit. I especially love buildings with a history.

76. amberwrites says:

I visited Amsterdam at the end of last March, I guess a bit too early for the flower blooms. When does the blooming usually start in The Netherlands?

• Mid-April is the best time but it depends if the winter is harsh or mild. Last year, we still had snow in early March so that’s the reason why you did not see that many flowers yet. Winter this year is very mild, the warmest that I’ve experienced since coming here over a decade ago. I already saw crocuses coming out and at this time of the year, that’s 2 months’ early. Thus, spring will be early this year, I guess.

77. I lived in Amsterdam for three summers in the 80′s and learned to really love Holland. Never been to you city but it looks wonderful. I would dearly love to go back to Holland. Every time I see these kinds of photos it takes me back. We also just found out that we are of Dutch descent. Didn’t know that until this year which may explain why I was drawn there years ago. Since I live in Arizona it’s rather unlikely I’ll get back anytime soon – so thanks so much for the pictures. I really did enjoy them.

• I hope you come back one day soon and get re-acquainted with your Dutch family here. As I said, spring is a great time to be here. Your part of the world is also lovely. We’ve been to Arizona some years ago and really enjoyed our time there.

78. unknownhanna says:

what a lovely pictures! someday, i will come to Netherland. love your country so much :))

79. Java Girl says:

Beautiful pictures, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful world with us! Congrats on being Freshly Pressed! Have a wonderful day! :)

80. Imperio says:

How beautiful is your city, Malou! I absolutely loved that you are able to enjoy the city center with its century old buildings. As I was reading your post I was reminded of Mexico City, the square, the old buildings, the worn out facades and stone steps, the myriad of little stone churches and its big Cathedral. I miss it! Walking in it, window shopping, watching the dancers in the square doing their Aztec dances and the lines of artisans selling their crafts on the floor. There was never a place to sit to eat our lunch brought from home, but there were many cafes surrounding the square. I miss the meandering streets with all the old stores. There is one street that only allows jewelry stores, another only allows textiles. There was a candy store that had been there for almost a hundred years! Oh, you made me miss Mexico so much. Thank you for this lovely post.

myhappyhats.wordpress.com

• I’m glad that you found my city beautiful, Imperio. The way you describe your city makes me want to book a ticket now and fly to Mexico ;-). I can imagine how beautiful your city must be with the Spanish influence still very much present.

81. What a lovely city! I plan to travel the world as soon as I find a way. I’m going to HAVE to add your city to my list of places to go!

Your pictures are stunning! I love flowers and will remember to come in the spring! :)

Thanks so much for your inspiring post and pictures.

Have a lovely rest of your day,
    Darling

82. Gerard says:

Great post! Wonderful pictures! I felt like I was on a tour.

If you would like a virtual tour of New York you can check out my blog at http://germch55.wordpress.com.

83. Thanks a lot, Gerard! I hope to also get to visit New York someday…

84. andriayanie says:

What a wonderful place
    I hope one day, i also get to visit the Netherland.

85. tita buds says:

Wahaaaa!!! Here I am backlog-reading and I find you got Freshly-Pressed! Congratulations, Malou. I’m sure you’re pretty busy right now, hehe. Sarap, no? ;)

86. I love her little red coat! My husband is half dutch and I’ve really grown to love the Netherlands.

87. Very pretty. I’ve been to a lot of places in the Netherlands but not this city. I’ll make sure I go next time :)

88. Wow! I can’t believe I have never heard of this city before. Stunning pics.

• This city like other nice Dutch cities tend to be overshadowed by the big ones like Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht. There are many beautiful cities like Amersfoort which are known to the locals only.

89. sillisoup says:

Malou, thanks for visiting my blog. Your interests are so similar to mine – photography, especially. Your city is so beautiful and your post makes me long for travel. It also inspires me to post some of my travel photos to my blog, so come back to visit. I’ll be back to visit your blog again – and maybe your city one day. You’re a great ambassador for it! Jeanne

Indeed we share the same interest especially in photography and travel. I hope one day you also get to visit Holland (and remember that spring is the best time).

90. Love your insights about Holland. So true! I have visited Holland many times and I have many Dutch friends and this particular post brought me back to when I visited Amersfoort. Thank you!

91. Stulang Laut says:

beautiful like in the story

92. You have a unique and beautiful blog. Thanks for the many pictures that tell a story themselves.

93. Septina says:

Beautifull photos and family :) Thanks for sharing this!

94. Lissa Rabon says:

Wow! Your canal photo is amazing! What a beautiful place to live. Thank you for following my blog: When I Ride.

95. musings says:

Wow! How beautiful! I’ve never seen so many crocuses. We’ve been to the Netherlands and absolutely loved it, especially Keukenhof!

• The crocuses are the first to sprout out of the ground in spring and they are a sight to behold. I’m glad to know that you’ve been to Keukenhof. It’s a lovely place which I try not to miss visiting each year.

96. unodos73 says:

What a beautiful city! And I like your photos. I recently started a blog on wordpress.com. It is full of interesting blogs including yours. Thanks.

97. trialsinfood says:

what a beautiful place! reminds me of our recent short layover in Amsterdam.

98. Your photos make me want to visit! My husband has been thee for a business trip. Maybe someday my son and I will be able to go too! It looks like a beautiful place to live. :-)

99. Hi, I’m from Indonesia, your photos make me want to visit, beautifuuuuuul

100. Dena Rabadi says:

This is great article

101. Great post! I agree – the best way to see a place is by using public transportation, walking through neighborhoods… :)

102. mexcelia says:

Brought spring to my doorstep, thank you. Lovely photos too!

103. bmj2k says:

The Tower of Our Lady or the canal, which is my favorite picture? Heck, let’s call it a tie!

104. I have enjoyed looking at all the lovely pictures, a nice overview of Amersfoort’s picturesque canals and buildings. I know someone by the name of Van Anholt who lives in Amersfoort.

Glad that you like the pictures of Amersfoort. It is a small but cozy city which is pleasant to explore. Good to know that you have a connection to the city ;-)

105. bloodanfire says:

amazing photos…makes me want to visit! good stuff!

106. barrycyrus says:

Looks serene! I wish I could go visit :)

107. priyankakher says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog and liking my post-’O’Hare or O’Harrow’. Gave me a chance to visit yours. What a pleasure :) Beautiful pictures that have inspired me to visit Holland (in spring).

108. I hope some day I can go there. It looks absolutely beautiful! Lovely photos too!

109. graceyb says:

Gorgeous photos!!!

110. glynkc says:

Beautiful photos. We don’t have anything like that in Australia. Our country is very young in comparison. that’s why I love travelling to the United Kingdom, where my father was born.

Thanks a lot. Australia has its own charms especially in its space and wilderness which is lacking here. UK is lovely, I also love the good old English charm.

111. Amalia says:

So amazingly beautiful and charming! I want to visit! Thank you for sharing your inspiring and lovely world.

112. Shirley says:

Years ago we were in Amsterdam, and recently a short trip to The Hague. Beautiful cities and memories.

Both cities are beautiful but I love The Hague (Den Haag) more. That was the first city where I lived so it made the most impression. I used to live not so far from Palais Noordeinde which is the working palace of the queen.

113. the Jilb says:

Beautiful photos! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

114. jou stad is lieflik…ek praat nie nederlands nie maar ek kan so bietjie afrikaans praat …..dis baie naby aan nederlandse……….ek is eintlik engels spreekend….so i guess i should just stick to english…..

115. Nice blog! Your writing is very engaging. I look forward for more. Thanks for stopping by.

116. Derek says:

“A canal close to the home of Piet Mondriaan” looks very pretty.

117. Cathryn Hein says:

How beautiful! What a gorgeous place you live in.

I only ever visited Amsterdam in my travels but would have loved to have explore more. One of the things I adored about our time living in Europe was the distinctive change of seasons. We don’t experience that as much here in Australia, especially northwards. It happens in a few of the cooler climate areas, in the south and on tablelands, but not as dramatically as where you are.

Sigh. Must get back there soon. Although perhaps not now. I hear you’re having a horrid cold snap and I’m quite enjoying our summer!

Thanks a lot, Cathryn! You must come and visit again. If Holland is in your itinerary, spring is a great time. There are lots of interesting places here other than Amsterdam. ;-)

118. Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Thanks a lot. I am still navigating my way through Word Press and I love it. I am using the free platform at this point but I resize my pictures because the space is limited.

119. Kenton Lewis says:

Wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I’ve never been to The Netherlands, but now I can say I have.
    Thanks for subscribing. I look forward to reading your post, especially the foods and recipes.
    Kenton

Thanks a lot, Kenton. I hope one day that you will also get to visit this lovely country. I try to bring east and west in my cooking. I do love your recipes too. ;-)

120. Never been to Holland in spring only in summer. Would love to come back and see the flowers bloom. Beautiful photos, a very picturesque and inspiring place to live!

You should come in spring as I can tell you that that’s the best time to be here especially if you love spring flowers like tulips, hyacinths, daffodils and crocuses. ;-)

121. Lovely pictures of your home town, Malou. Thank you for liking my blog : http://eastofelveden.wordpress.com.

122. The Ladyboy Mirror says:

hi there.. thanks for following my my blog and liking one of my log entry. I have been in Amersfort a couple of time I love the old city.. the onlly old cultural authentic city in the netherlands. Are you also from the Philippines? I am from the Philippines myself ;)

123. The Ladyboy Mirror says:

Reblogged this on The Ladyboy's Mirror and commented:
    One of my favorite Cities in the world.. Amersfoort. Lovely medieval city and it remained authentic..

124. Technospunky says:

What a beautiful place, thank you for posting. Amazing – @lesliecarter I think you should visit that place too :-)

125. Pingback: My city (Amersfoort) in early spring « The Ladyboy's Mirror

126. Hello Malou,
    thanks for subscribing to my website. I knew chocolate would get some out there hungry!
    Love you sites and the great photos from The Netherlands. One of my favourite places to visit.
    Was in Amsterdam/Utrecht in November 2011 for the Gastronomie 2011 in Jaarburg.
    All the best wishes. Lars Willum

Hi Lars -
      I’m glad to know that you like my site and the pictures I’ve posted. Next time that you are in Holland, let me know. Would love to sample your cooking which must be a fantastic experience.

127. Wonderful Picture! What a beauty around you.
    Thank you sharing them.

128. angulam says:

Malou, this was a treat to read. Everyday tourism is sometimes so much more enjoyable than mass tourism – and your article brought Amersfoort to life – thx!

Totally agree with you there, Angulam. Mass tourism also leaves you feeling like you’ve been ripped off because of the tourist traps from the over-priced restaurants along the way to the souvenir shops.

129. Lauren says:

On this dreary winter day, how I long to travel. My bucket list includes tulips in bloom. What’s the best time to see them?

130. jonesxxx says:

Love Dutch architecture!

131. Beautiful city. I have traveled all over the Netherlands by public transport. I love the little country. My Mom’s family came to the US from Gronengen and Zeeland in the nineteen century. Dianne

Glad to know of your Dutch connection, Dianne. Groningen is a lovely city up north which I used to visit (did some shopping there) when my parents-in-law still lived in one of the villages nearby (30-minutes drive). I’ve been to Zeeland a few times especially to see the impressive waterworks there (my husband is an engineering geologist) who loves these amazing engineering constructions.

132. scroungelady says:

Gorgeous photos of you city. You have a beautiful family. Thanks for checking my blog. I’ll look forward to reading posts from your home.

133. Assia says:

Absolutely lovely pictures and town!

134. Fiona Cox says:

Love the crocuses. Thanks for showing such lovely photos!

135. Loved the post. My husband, 4 kids and Iived in Spain (from Calif.) for 12 years and vacationed in the Netherlands a few times. We have some of the same photos you posted, including one of the kids in front of the old city gate. We loved the open air museum there! Thanks for the reminder of a beautiful place.

Glad to know that you loved this post and got reminded of lovely memories, Rhonda. I’m looking forward to spring so that we can start going out again. ;-)

136. Maeve Maguire says:

Thank you for following my blog!

What a gorgeous place you live. I love the gorgeous photos you add to your posts. (Mental note: Remember to take your camera Maguire!)

Maeve

Glad to stumble on your blog, Maeve. There are many nice places here in Holland which I hope you can also visit some day. I enjoy taking pictures, fun to do!

137. chaconrafa says:

You are blessed to live in such a beautiful place and family

Thank you for sharing and thank you for visiting my blog.

Rafa

138. Debby says:

Stunning beauty. Love the old buildings and reflections in the canal. Just gorgeous!
    And thanks for stopping by graceland, my blog.

139. Thanks for sharing your photos. I like visiting places that are not the usual tourists spots and also have much history to contemplate.

There are many nice places here which are off the beaten track. Amersfoort is a lovely medieval city and around it are many nice villages worth exploring too. I mentioned Spakenburg because it is a lovely fishing village where women for instance, go about their daily lives still in traditional clothing.

140. 166kilómetros says:

Looking forward to the spring! Wanna come to Holland at that time after reading this post! AWESOME BLOG! Saludos desde Alicante, España

141. JoDee Luna says:

I love your blog. I used to live in the Netherlands for almost 8 years. What a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Thanks a lot, JoDee! I’m glad to know that you are connected to this country. 8 years is a good time to really know the country that well and have stack of cherished memories. ;-)

142. Malou,
    What beautiful photographs. Are you the photographer? I’d love to visit your city some day. Does your city have any food specialities?

Thanks a lot, Nancy. Yes, these are my pictures. I am an amateur photographer and I delight at taking pictures of almost everything. It is difficult for me to say as to what are typical food from Amersfoort. I would rather say that the food we have here are typically Dutch. I hope that you would be able to spare Amersfoort a visit someday. ;-)

143. Kenton Lewis says:

I just saw your photos from Urk so I took a Google vacation there. Wow! The people were warm and friendly, but looked at me strangely. I suppose it was because I was still in my pajamas. It’s 6:30 in the morning here.

144. Olivia Mair says:

I’d love to visit the NL in the spring!!! I once transited through Amersfoort on the way to Groningen and after reading your post I wish I’d stopped now!

145. ShimonZ says:

This is a truly beautiful set of pictures, and I’m sure it’s a great pleasure to live in your city.

146. Thanks for the lovely tour. Beautiful.

147. Donna Amis Davis says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely, Malou! You make me want to visit there so bad! Is it really that cute and quaint? I never knew.