A visit to Holland’s spring garden in 2010

We’re not even halfway through with winter yet I feel that this season is already going on forever. It is because this is the weirdest winter that I’ve ever had in this country since over a decade — warm, wet and gray. Not a single speck of snow has fallen and there seems to be none in the horizon when I look at the long term weather forecast either.

I’m trying to beat the winter blues by thinking of spring already…though that’s still a good two months away. Spring is the season where I won’t be found complaining. On the contrary, spring is the best time to be in this country. Holland opens the spring season with a bang and like a lady in full bloom, she’s at her prettiest.

One place that I never miss going to is Holland’s world-famous spring garden — Keukenhof. It is a garden that’s one of its kind as it displays the creativity of the best gardeners in the world. A step inside this park and you’ll know what I mean with the way this park is transformed into a spring wonderland.

Every year, the park takes on a theme and oftentimes, royalties and/or heads of states are in attendance to open it for the season. Two years ago, the theme was “From Russia with love” and the park was opened by Crown Princess Maxima and Mrs. Svetlana Medvedeva (wife of the Russian president).

We were lucky with the weather on our visit to the park then. The sun was shining and the sky was blue without a tinge of cloud at all. Our little girl initially enjoyed her foray into the flower garden but later we discovered that she was having chicken pox that’s why she was not her usual bubbly self anymore.

Anyway, here are the pictures I took on that day.

85 Responses to A visit to Holland’s spring garden in 2010

1. Niki says:

Very pretty. I look forward to checking it out at some point… thanks for the pictures!

I’m sure that you’ll love this place, Niki. It’s not so far from Den Haag. You can also rent bikes to cycle through the flower fields in the area or take a boat to see the flower fields from the water.

2. These photos are amazing! I love going to visit gardens….nature is so calming and beautiful :)

3. Malou says:

Thanks a lot. This place is really beautiful in spring so it is impossible not to make good pictures ;-)

4. redeyefamily says:

Wonderful pictures! I love the close-up shots.

5. Lyndell says:

The colours! wow – though my favourite is with trees and shadows on the grass

6. Holy beautiful! What gorgeous shots. I love every single photo on here. And what a darling little one you have:) glad to have you following Commander in Chic. I love your blog. xoxo

7. Wow, I absolutely love these gardens. Thanks to your post, I’ve decided that is one place I have to go now!

8. Thanks for sharing, beautiful pics!! I am in Michigan, USA, and we received our first true blanket of snow last night, it is currently 23 degrees. I was hit with a burst of color and sunshine when I opened your bog today, you made my evening and reminded me that spring is just around the corner even if the road is a little long.

I’m jealous of your blanket of snow but the prospect of spring is what keeps me out of my winter blues. I’m happy that my spring blog made your evening ;-)

9. bhamgirl says:

I hope your winter days get better soon! I have a hot toddy posted on my blog that might help. Beautiful pictures, I can see why you long for spring. Donna

10. Dor says:

Breathtaking photos, breathtaking country! Please keep them coming. Yours is truly a wonderful blog.

11. Amber says:

Fantastic photos!

12. That means if I ever visit Holland (and someday I surely will) that must be in springtime! If heaven doesn’t look like this, what does?

13. frenchfry36 says:

Some beautiful photos here – love the colours – may I use as my desktop background?

14. I went lat year when I was helping clean my dad’s house.
    I borrowed a camera and took over 600 pictures.
    So pretty!

Can you believe as a Dutchie I had never gone but after 20 years in the US I did!

Love the close-up pictures.

I know the feeling. You can even be here year after year and never get enough of the place. It is not impossible to take over 600 pictures as simply there’s just so much beauty that you want to capture with your camera.

15. Pingback: Amsterdam (Or: A bridge to another world) « Life in the Hague

16. francesz says:

Gorgeous, tulips are my favorite flower so this looks like heaven!

17. Deano says:

Such vivid colours

18. Definately a wierd Winter – yesterday I saw a daffodil in bloom!

19. This garden is absolutely stunning. I just love all the colors of the flowers and how they pop off the photo. Just beautiful

This is a must-see garden if ever you find yourself in Holland in spring, Kay. The flowers will just entice you to take pictures after pictures ;-)

20. meanderlight says:

What a wonderful collection of images, somewhere I’d love to visit

21. Gilly Gee says:

Fantastic photos, it must be dazzling to see!

22. Oh my, the pictures look unreal!

23. pictfamily says:

beautiful Spring pictures on a grey day – thanks for dropping by my blog 8o)

24. I adore tulips, how wonderful that you were able to take these shots in Hollands Garden :)

25. Chef Pamela says:

Spectacular! How lucky you are!

26. All so so beautiful…amazing colours that nature so kindly gives us!

27. A solutely stunning, I’m a total sucker for flowers!

28. I remember well my visit to Keukenhof in 1982 and want so much to return. Up to that time I had only seen the typical uninformed in a straight line planting of tulips and the mass grouping blew my mind!

It’s amazing how they make all kinds of combinations of flowers and make them bloom at the same time. I hope you’ll able to return here one of these days ;-)

29. I love the way the gardeners have used colours – in chunks, to create lines, place highlights. Cannot wait to see this. Thanks for the link.

You’ll always find inspiration for gardening at Keukenhof. You should come in spring for I’m sure that you’ll have a great time there.

30. Those are beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing! The Netherlands certainly have some purty flowers.

31. Alicia says:

Just beautiful! I was already yearning for spring and some color, but now you have me wanting it more!

32. KindFoodFarm says:

My visit to Keukenkof is one of my favorite memories of my trip to the Netherlands. Such a beautiful place.

33. Joelle Foong says:

Love your photos! They make me feel like going to Holland again but in the right season this time ;)

34. Gorgeous photos! One of the things I didn’t get to do when I was there, hoping there is a next time just for that. Thanks for sharing!

35. Hi Malou :-) Just beautiful! These photos remind me a lot of a large park I go to each year. They plant a lot of tulips and it is breathtaking. Spring is my favorite season along with summer – such a wonderful time of year! I’m ready for spring too! Have a great day :-)

Thanks a lot Cheryl. It’s nice to know that you have a similar place over there with lots of tulips. I can hardly wait for spring and looking forward to summer as well. Have a great day too ;-)

36. MiMi Atkins says:

Such beauty. Thanks for sharing. My first book is about a sunflower so this marvels me.

I love sunflowers too! I really enjoyed the view of those sunflower fields in Tuscany. Holland has its tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and crocuses.

37. Lu says:

Malou, this is simply stunning! Thanks for sharing :)

38. Pingback: Amsterdam (Or: A bridge to another world) « Life in the Hague

39. adventuresofaladyexplorer says:

The flowers are indeed beautiful, your photos are great :)

40. Oh, my gosh – I needed this reminder that warm weather does exist! Thank you!!

41. Jennifer says:

Gorgeous photos! The flash on my camera just went out and I’m looking forward to a better model. Thank you for sharing all of your photos they are truly beautiful.

42. cmbanerjee says:

Beautiful pictures and your daughter is the cutest! The vibrant colors are just divine. :)

43. zigzagmags says:

I visited Keukenhof when I lived in Holland a few years ago. It was one of my favorite things we did! Great pics.

I’m glad to know that you’ve been to Keukenhof already. One lovely place that I’m sure if given the chance again to visit, will be on your itinerary. ;-)

44. petrel41 says:

Dear Malou, I really like your blog and your photos.

Unfortunately, I have a computer with not much memory, and you usually have lots of big photos per blog post. So, then my computer goes tilt. Maybe you can divide long blog posts with many photos into smaller posts to prevent this problem for people with little computer memory?

45. ericamryan says:

The Pictlets and I are off to Holland this Easter and planning to visit Keukenhof and cycle round the bulb fields, at least partly inspired by this! Thanks 8o)