Fun in the snow starts

There’s nothing more fun for children in winter than to be able to play in the snow. After almost giving up that winter will ever put in a real appearance this year, the cold snap from the high pressures emanating from Russia and the Atlantic finally brought us the much awaited winter wonderland. Snow fell generously last Friday that finally there was enough coating to be able to enjoy real winter fun.

We live along the dike or actually more of a sound wall that acts as barrier to the noise coming from the A1 highway. This unique location means that we have this little inclined area which from spring to summer is a patch of green dotted with wild blooms and now in winter is one fun area for downhill sleighing.

We were out to enjoy the much awaited snowfall. Francesca got both the old-fashioned wooded sled and a plastic one. Of course, fun in the snow is not complete without friends to play with so we checked on her friends (Luuk and Job) if they were around and luckily they were. What a lot of fun it was as they glided downhill on Francesca’s plastic sled over and over again till they were cold, wet and hungry. I made some sausage rolls which they devoured in no time.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

58 Responses to Fun in the snow starts

1. Radhika says:

I am not a snow person..but always love to watch kids or anyone play in it!

While the snow is lots of fun for kids, I’d like to visit the Netherlands when the weather is warm and the flowers are blooming. What time of year do you suggest?

3. Fun! I want to play in the snow!

4. niasunset says:

I can see what a great fun for children…. and you really carried me into these moments… I imagine myself there too! Actually to be a child is so nice… Reminded me my memories… And these clothes and boots, made me smile… but the most beautiful part should be eating time after all these snow fun! Thank you you made a wonderful set. Blessing and Happiness for you all, with my love, nia

I’m really glad to know that this post brought back happy moments for you, Nia. It is nice to be reminded of childhood fun from time to time as we live in a very busy world that’s full of stress and worries. Looking at these kids and their world that’s free from worries remind me that life used to be like that for me as well. ;-)

5. Jane says:

Awesome! I love the snow! It is so fresh and white and peaceful :) I’m always a little sad when it melts (even though I love the spring), because it dirt is so wet and muddy underneath :)

I know that feeling of sadness associated with melting snow and you are right about the dirt and mud. We still have some snow left and there is ice as well so everyone here is out with their skating shoes on frozen canals. ;-)

6. wow! looks like a lot of fun!

7. It looks like you are having a wonderfully white winter! And I think that after a day of snow play, sausage rolls are a must! Yum.

Yes, a really nice winter treat at the moment. Both snow and ice are wonderful sources of fun here. Actually, there are a lot of outdoor skating matches going on except for the “Elfstedentoch” or the Eleven Cities’ Tour that cannot materialize.

8. AK - Nomad says:

Looks like so much fun! Love sliding…yet, I haven’t done it in years due to lack of snow or being in warmer environments. Glad it finally snowed for you and your kids. Enjoy.

It was a lot of fun and it isn’t over yet. Other than snow, there’s also the ice. Canals are frozen here too and they are wonderful outdoor skating rinks.

9. Malou! What a great series of photographs! I loved the red and pink snow suits (green with envy!) and the yummy sausage rolls, along with their rosy cheeks and expressions! Super cute!! Let’s not forget the teamwork! Keep warm! Theadora (I also love the radiator shot)

Thanks a lot, Theadora! Glad to know that you like the series of photographs of these hyper active kids in the snow. They had so much fun and though cold and wet afterwards, they didn’t complain and were just happy to have their drinks and warm sausage rolls.

10. Tracey says:

You missed out the pics of you having a go on the sleigh.

11. I nominated your blog for the versatile blogger award because you rock! http://wp.me/p1t6mc-xF

12. intrepidtraveller says:

Its snowing where I am too and everyone has now started ice skating down the canals…such fun! I am jealous of the fun your kids are having on their sled…Ahhh to be young again! :D

13. Dor says:

As always Malou, your photographs speak volumes. I could feel myself shivering and then warm from all the play and remembering when I first saw snow. I was 21 years old! And then coming in for warmth and good things to eat and lots of love. Your zest for life shows through in your writing and in your eye for beauty and joy.

Thanks a lot, Dor. It was fun to capture these moments in their lives. Kids grow up so quickly so I have to be quick in recording these moments which I’m sure in the years to come, will be quickly replaced by new ones.

14. Momma E. says:

Send some of that white stuff our way! It looks like you had so much fun! Me-Jealous much- yep! Have a great day!

Don’t you have snow out there? I almost thought we wouldn’t have real winter this year but thanks to the cold snap which is gripping Europe at the moment, we got our fair share. ;-)

15. Java Girl says:

Aww, these pictures are precious! Nothing warms the heart of a mother then to hear their child laugh and see them have so much fun! Sounds like it was a great day for all! :)

I am re-living my childhood through these kids (though in the Philippines we didn’t have snow, we sure went downhill tobogganing on earth/soil/dust. ;-)

16. Reggie says:

Aww, that looks like such fun! I’ve never played in the snow before – we don’t get snow in Cape Town. They look so warm and cosy in all their many layers – and I can imagine that they devoured the sausage rolls in no time at all! :-)

Oh, I’d love to visit Cape Town someday which I heard is such a lovely place. I thought that from time to time you also get snow there in South Africa, only that it doesn’t stay too long.

17. This makes me want to jump in a sled again! I love how kids can be outside all day and run home absolutely ravenous (wish I could eat like that without consequences now ;) ).

The kids are just endlessly busy so they burn all the calories in no time. Going up and down the hill over and over again made them ravenous after a while. ;-)

18. J M Naszady says:

Sausage rolls…yum!

19. Michael Zoll says:

I like the photos…

CU, Michael

20. Seems like a fun day! I’m a wee bit envious….haven’t seen snow in like 20 years! Thanks for the like on my post;-)

21. They certainly look like they were having a blast! I remember those days of playing outside until I was frozen.

22. joyskitchen says:

we have yet to get out on the toboggan here – only had snow on a handful of days – but we have a great hill around us that is at the back of a school so there are stairs to walk up the hill! Half the time there are just as many adults tobogganing as the kids! Your pics make me want it to snow lots! Looks like you all had a great time!

Holland is too flat so any artificially inclined area becomes a venue for downhill tobogganing here. We also have ice here at the moment. The frozen canals are perfect outdoor skating rinks.

23. The pictures are very fun-filled. :)

24. Your daughter must love winter time, she looks like she is having sooooo much fun!

25. I envy you your snow! Looks like lots of fun.

We also thought that we will never see snow this year. Better late than never…kids are really having lots of fun. With the ice too, all canals are transformed into outdoor skating rinks at the moment.

26. This just fills me with joy! I am fascinated by snow and all things cold – my life is about sunshine and beaches and lush green hills. But hey, we have sausage rolls in common. Snap! Your blog is beautiful. ♥

Glad to know that this post filled you with joy. Simple fun and simple pleasures…what more do we need in life? I grew up in the tropics so snow and ice always fascinate me.

27. Looks like such fun. All my daughter talked about before Christmas was snow. But this year we went to Rio de Janeiro for the holidays – no snow there. She was so disappointed (because even though I warned her there wouldn’t be snow, she didn’t believe me – I mean, it was Christmas!) I’ll have to take her “home” to Chicago next year!

To children, Christmas is associated with snow. I can imagine the disappointment of your daughter but there is still snow there now, or not?

28. Love the photos – and then all the clothes drying on the radiator! That captures it all perfectly!

I wonder, will there be the famous skating-down-the-rivers event this year?

Thanks a lot, Michael! If you are referring to the almost mythical “Elfstedentoch” or the Eleven Cities’ Tour, unfortunately that’s not going to happen. There was a press conference yesterday where the decision of the Eleven Cities Tour Association was made known. The ice is just at this moment does not meet the minimum 15cm requirement in some areas so with 16,000 participants plus the spectators who are difficult to keep off the ice, the risk is just too much.

There are, however, many local ice skating races going on like the Keizersrace in Amsterdam and many more. They don’t need the required 15cm minimum because with less participants, 8cm thickness of the ice is OK.

29. Purely.. Kay says:

Aww… these are absolutely wonderful photos :). They just looked like they had an amazing time. This definitely reminds me of my childhood Thanks for the memories :)