Early spring

The 1st of March is already considered here as the start of spring in meteorological terms although the real start of the season as we know will only be 3 more weeks farther. My daughter can hardly wait for the new season to begin as she looks forward to picking flowers and assemble them into lovely bouquets.

I share my little girl’s fascination with this season as I simply love how Holland blossoms after a long hibernation in winter. I love the sight of early morning just when the sun is breaking though the mist as backdrop to the trees and shrubs which explode in blooms just as soon as the temperature warms up sustainably for a couple of days.

With the exception of when there is snow or ice, my camera also goes into winter hibernation mode so when the first signs of spring become visible, I am out of the door in an instant to go around and start clicking to capture the beauty of the season.

These are pictures I took last year and I am looking forward to a repeat of this lovely phase in the season this year.

Lady bug

Dandelion

Snail

Lady bug

125 Responses to Early spring

1. Beautiful and inspiring shots.

2. scrivenspost says:

Beautiful Photographs! It is a lovely spring morning here in Denmark too.

3. Lyndell says:

Stunning – I love the little lady bug shots – the shot of red is so striking :)

4. Beautiful once again! In the very first picture the “flower” with the purple buds on it is considered a weed here, but you made it look like a sought-after posey. I remember, as a kid, pulling out those little purple blooms and sucking in the sweet insides.

It’s funny how weeds can look so wonderful in pictures. Even the snails which is the least of my favorite is a sought after subject when I am out with my camera. ;-)

My husband also sucks the sweet nectar inside those little purple blooms.

5. niasunset says:

They are all so beautiful photographs… Fascinated me. Thank you, have a nice weekend, with my love, nia

6. Jona Bering | Backpacking with a Book says:

Envious! Don’t have these flowers around!

7. kiwidutch says:

LOVE the snail and the ladybird photos!… do you have a macro lens? or just a very steady hand :)

8. Nate says:

Those are very beautiful pictures. I hope we get the same chance to view an array of colors. Thanks for the post.

9. You have mentioned several times in the last few weeks how much your daughter is looking forward to spring…..I think you are too! LOL MY crocuses have been blooming for a while and my small early winter irises are up now also. We have had such a mild winter I keep waiting for a huge dump of snow to show us who is boss.

I know even way back in January I was already longing for spring especially as the winter this time was very mild save for the 2 weeks in early February when we finally have the winter freeze with snow and ice.

Though I love snow and ice, I’m not looking anymore for them. Spring is in the air now. My daughter and I have just been out and had fun with the crocuses in bloom (me with taking pictures and her with picking a few).

I hope that you still get your wished for snow. ;-)

10. mumchic says:

Absolutely gorgeous !

11. Amazing colorful flower photographs. Please add some more photographs. I like you photography.

Lovely photos – thanks for bringing the spring to us – love apple bloom, where I live we have apple farms (or what ever they are called) millions of trees. Do cider – and in the end of September they make a massive picture out of 35.000 apples – a weight of 3 tons. http://www.applemarknaden.se/ – it’s in Swedish, but have a look at the fantastic art. You would love that. Ladybirds .. the cutest thing on earth beside penguins

Can’t wait for full scale spring, Viveka. The crocuses are now out so if the weather is nice this weekend, I’ll be definitely out.

Thanks for the link! This is a pretty unique art with apples. Something very Swedish I think ;-)

• viveka says:

Know the feeling about spring – can’t wait. Yes – I don’t know anywhere else they do art with apples – Kivik is the name of the place where all the apple trees bloom and where they do the cider. Beautiful spot.

13. Great photos! I love the one with the ladybug on the flower the most.

14. Jasmine Pahl says:

Great shots! I think those are apple blossoms and I can almost smell them!

15. Letizia says:

Just curious…are the photo’s taking in these past days? Or during spring another year??
    Anyway….beautiful!!! :)

These pictures were from spring last year. Still have to wait a while but I’m sure that the moment the temperature warms up, the blooms will explode in a heartbeat. ;-)

16. Dugutigui says:

Flowers everywhere… :)

17. otownmommy says:

I loved looking at these pictures this morning- outside our window is a very different story. I share your enthusiasm for when the first blossoms start to bloom. I love how you captured the feeling (and a few ladybugs) so perfectly!

There’s so much beauty out there that we tend to overlook. These lady bugs for instance were such a pleasure to use as subject of my early morning photo session.

18. Yes! you can feel the Spring!!

Thank you for sharing those lovely photo’s

19. The Skeptical Woman says:

Great photos, the ladybug is my favorite.

20. salomeperez says:

WOW! These are amazing!!

We too are in for an early Spring in California.

We’re now into summer with the heat over 30 degrees these past couple of days. Big change from the almost wintery temperature of the week before. ;-)

22. Love the ladybugs! And you’re way ahead of us in Ohio!

23. Vic Rana says:

Beautiful pics..as always..:-)

Thanks,

Vic

24. sheila7697 says:

Beautiful photos, I love the close up shots! Springtime is glorious, and I’m ready for it too! ~ Sheila

25. The snail pic was beautiful!

26. Stunningly beautiful photos as always! Used to spend a lot of time in Holland and go to the Keukenhof and loved seeing the fields of colour – different brightly coloured huge stripes – as the plane came into Schiphol. One of the nicest places to be in the springtime!

Glad to know that you’ve seen the flower fields from the air. I experienced that too one time while flying to London one very nice spring day. The tulips are grown most along the coast as they favor the sandy soil. ;-)

27. Lynne Ayers says:

A nice taste of spring, which, by the looks of it out the window we are not going to see for awhile yet. No snow all winter and then March comes and …. dumped on.

28. I hope this fine weather stays around long enough for my visit to Amsterdam in mid March!

Oh, so your visit is very soon. I hope that the weather is good at that time, Andrew. Tomorrow’s weather forecast is not so good anymore so I was glad to be out with my daughter earlier today when the sun was shining.

29. cross(stitch)yourheart says:

Love these pictures!

30. Andrea says:

Absolutely beautiful flowers!

31. You made that dandelion look beautiful! Great pictures.

32. Omninoms says:

Beautiful! That is the most ethereal snail I have ever seen :).

33. Thank you for a breath of relief! We won’t see blossoms like this ’til May here. Got another couple of centimeters of snow this morning. I don’t mind winter – especially one as mild as this one has been – but it sure is wonderful to see a hint of colour!

34. wheelerwrite says:

Hi, when I was there, working at a crazy job on the North Sea, I must admit I was more interested in Amsterdam for other reasons but since I’ve been home and got old, I’ve seen lots of pics and tv about the beauty of Holland. I regret not appreciating it then. Maybe someday.
    Always enjoy pics of Spring.
    Steve

I can’t blame you that Amsterdam was the only place of interest then. That is the case with many people but this country has more to offer. ;-)

35. Absolutely lovely! It is impossible for me to look at a ‘lady bug’ without smiling :D

36. Purely.. Kay says:

Malou.. don’t get me all excited posting spring is coming early LOL. I want spring to come now lol. But these photos are absolutely beautiful. I love flowers when they bloom

37. Great photos. Very intimidating for us new bloggers :)

38. Beautiful photos! I am drawn to apple, cherry and related tree blossoms especially. When my son was little, we used to plant sunflowers. One year, they grew to our second story windows!

39. Kristin says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the two pictures with the lady bugs!

40. Fergiemoto says:

Love the ladybugs!

41. Nice! I’m so jealous..haven’t had a chance to get outside to take any nature shots yet this year.

42. Sweet Princess Style says:

WOW! That’s the only thing I was able to think when I saw your pictures. I love taking nature shots. It’s so much fun and you look at things differently. I’m competely in love with that ladybug! So cute!

43. JR says:

Hey Malou! Thanks for following Zhartvystan. I’m glad you liked the kubideh post. I love all of your photos–gorgeous! :)

44. chaconrafa says:

WOW!

45. GREAT SHOTS..’ you know a flower, you know life’..from roots to wings

46. All shots are so awesome; love the bugs. Great job on the snail since the little guy is practically colorless.

47. Beautiful capture of spring – love the ladybug shots!

48. Michi says:

I love that it’s finally Spring!! And I love your photos, especially the one of the ladybug and snail. :) *sigh* Spring is here, Spring is finally here!

49. Reblogged this on DiabeticallyYours and commented:
    Aww I’m glad we found each other as well! I can’t wait to go back home to read your recent posts and comment without using my iPhone LOL soon enough!! Thanks for sticking around!

Weird how you can’t comment using the app… Have to repost! Odd! They need to fix this, or maybe I’m just confused… Maybe I’m low? Hah!

50. Duc Nguyen says:

WOW! The photos are stunning! Whenever I think of Netherlands, I always think of beautiful flowers and your post really says it! Spring over there must be extremely gorgeous.

51. Fabulous photos, I particularly like the photos of blossom

52. roamingtheworld says:

Ah, Spring! I’m currently living in a sea side town in Southern Spain, where I see more Palm trees than any other type. I’m missing seeing all the flowers bloom like I would in California!
    Great photos!

53. Suzanne says:

Gorgeous photos! And I’m more than a little jealous that spring has come already for you. Here in Michigan I’m in the middle of flurries this morning!

By the way, very interesting blog! West Michigan (where I live) has a large dutch community so when I first saw your blog I mistakenly assumed you live around here! Joke’s on me. :)

These pictures were from another springtime but I can hardly wait for spring to really go full blast.

I heard of the Dutch community which migrated to the US some centuries ago when there was religious persecution here in Holland. ;-)

54. What beautiful pictures! You can almost smell the Spring air.

55. creditcardchurning says:

beautiful pics

56. Terrific photos! Those 2 shots with the ladybug are especially gorgeous! The spring colors are just gorgeous!

57. thelegaltart says:

One of the beautiful things about Europe, you actually get seasons. Beautiful photos

58. Hi, Malou!
    Thank you for visiting The Curly Haired Chica’s http://curlyhairedchica.wordpress.com/about/ blog!
    Your pictures are so beautiful!! I’m very excited to be following you and seeing your work. What an exciting life you lead! :-)
    Blessings!
    The Curly Haired Chica (Michelle)
    I’m also on FB if you want to check out my page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Curly-Haired-Chicas-Health-Quest/209005235857350

59. What lovely pics,simple awesome……Truly,nature at it’s best!!!love the ladybird one for sure…and btw thanks for your interest in our natural beauty remedies as well :)It makes so much sense to get back to nature,doesn’t it :)