The beauty of rain

Geraniums in the rain

We can plan our lives in careful details, at times down to every bend and turn. We want that perfect holiday with sunshine and blue sky but what if we get the exact opposite?

On a holiday to Austria way back in early June 2009, that was exactly what happened to us. Instead of the beautiful alps where Maria from the Sound of Music is singing “Doe a deer” with the Von Trapp children, we arrived to a gloomy Salzburg and the mountains were hardly visible from the mist. The weather forecast was very discouraging too, cold and wet in the many days to come.

Instead of staying in our tent as we have booked an already assembled tent and we just needed to step in, we had to stay in the camp apartment for a week in our 2-week holiday because of the sheer cold and dampness inside the tent. Going around was in most cases, dampened by the not so cooperative summer weather of rain and more rain.

This holiday…not turning out the way I envisioned actually gave me an altogether different perspective. I learned to appreciate the rain and its nurturing role in the environment. I learned to appreciate that in life, our plans may not always work out the way we wanted but we can always make the most out of it.

An inspiration for jewellers

A rain-soaked daisy

A moth caught in the rain

Edelweiss

Rain-soaked flowers

Butterfly

Edelweiss

216 Responses to The beauty of rain

1. Cee Neuner says:

I’m not sure which one I like best. So I’ll say all of them are my favorites. Wonderful!

2. Ateneit says:

Extraordinary snaps :))

3. Absolutely beautiful !!!!

4. You do exquisite closeup photography!

Thanks a lot, Beth. I love doing macro shots because I discover a lot of things which we normally perceive as ordinary and under the lens, they reveal so much beauty. ;-)

5. elfinwild says:

Life baptized in water. Love love love these pictures, Malou. Extraordinary mundane ~ there is not one average thing out there.

6. niasunset says:

Yes, this is beauty of rain BUT also beauty of your photography. They are all so beautiful, fascinated me. Thank you, have a nice week, with my love, nia

7. madeinminch says:

What an inspiring post :) its hard to deal with a holiday not turning out the way you have planned. Especially if you put pressure on yourself for the perfect holiday-which we all do.
    You have captured such beauty and the fresh colours are beautiful!
    Jen@madeinminch

Thanks a lot, Jen! There are no perfect circumstances in life or else each day will be boring. Embracing imperfections and being more accepting of what comes our way and finding the beauty that lies beneath are actually more fulfilling. ;-)

8. simplicitymaven says:

Absolutely beautiful, Malou! I remember Saltzburg well… what a story! What lens were you using? Pics are works of photographic art. Great job!

Thanks a lot, Nandi. In many ways, the movie, “The Sound of Music” gave us the idealized version of Salzburg and the Alps. In reality, it is not all sunshine and great weather there. Summer can be cold and wet as what we experienced. Anyway, we had our own version of fun and the we still look back to those wet summer days there with fondness. ;-)

I am using an old Nikon D60 and its 18-55mm kit lens. Nothing fancy.

Magic …. how beautiful a rainy holiday … can turn out through your eyes and lenses.
    Stunning photo’s again … The photo with the little blue flower is my favorite. You show make a book about natures small creatures and their world.

Thanks a lot, Viveka. In time when I got a clearer idea of the direction I want to pursue with my photography and other stuffs, I’ll think about putting them in a book. For now, I enjoy sharing the beauty I find with ordinary things around. ;-)

So beautiful! Your raindrops look like jewels!

11. Some very beautiful photographs here! Especially like the one titled: An inspiration for jewellers.

Thanks a lot. I was so amazed myself that the rain can be a good inspiration for jewelers if they will just look closely to what nature has to offer. ;-)

12. Moriah LaChapell Schalock says:

Excellent work.

13. One of the best photography set!!!!
    Great project!!!!!!!!!!!I love drops :)

14. Sheila Hurst says:

These are incredibly beautiful. With an attitude like yours, you’re sure to find beauty wherever you go.

15. Your beautiful photographs take my breath away. I also loved your inspiring words about finding delight in what might have been a very unpleasant vacation. Wonderful!

16. denlyn3 says:

I am inspired by your work.

17. sojourner says:

Wow, Plenty of beautiful droplets!

18. I particularly love the shot of the lone rain soaked daisy. Gorgeous! And off course you are so right. Life doesn’t always happen as we want but one needs to roll with it and enjoy/learn what you can. thanks for sharing!

Glad to know that you like that lone rain-soaked daisy. Flowers will look wonderful in the sun but rain provides a different perspective which we can also apply by analogy to certain phases or circumstances in our lives. ;-)

19. BigSkyKen says:

Beautiful images, Malou. You did a wonderful job of finding beauty in the drab weather.

20. sheila7697 says:

Beautiful photos! Love the closeups of all the flowers. As someone who lives with rain almost on a daily basis, except when we’re out of town (we live in a rainforest, you know!) I can appreciate your thoughts. You do have to reframe the weather much of the time, and if you wait for the weather to be perfect, well, in SE Alaska, you would miss a lot! Good for you for seeing the positive! ~ Sheila

Thanks a lot, Sheila. What you said about missing a lot if we wait for the perfect weather is so true also in real life. There are people who postpones happiness till they have all the perfect conditions for that instead of appreciating the beauty that each day brings, rain or shine. ;-)

21. cross(stitch)yourheart says:

These pictures are just fantastic. I love how the rain really brings out the beauty in the plants, something I know I take for granted when it’s raining and I have to be outside.

You’re inspiring!

22. Nature does not always deliver what we want but always what we need – we just have to see the beauty in it.

23. I need you to take photos for my blog. :-) These are amazing.

24. defeatgarden says:

I love the lessons you take from life and how beautifully you put them. I also love the simplicity in your pictures – they are breathtaking! Thank you for sharing :)

Thanks a lot. I just find it a waste of energy to fret about the rain and be miserable while on holiday. The bright side of it was that we were able to have quality time to bond together as a family. ;-)

25. NanaDoll says:

absolutely STUNNING

26. Nate says:

I really enjoy the single daisy with rain droplets on it. Great Pics.

27. cntryrose says:

With our unseasonably HOT day here in So. Cali which is just a sneak prediction of Summer to come… your delightful pictures brought Spring back to me in a visually cooling splash of rain. Thank you for sharing your sense of beauty for all of us.

28. What beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing them.

29. Despite the rain, you still got some beautiful pictures!

30. Sarah K says:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

31. SR Dryja says:

Makes me want to go splash in some puddles around Salzburg! Your photos are definitely a reminder of the wonders rain helps to produce. Such gorgeous flowers, juicy from their own time spent “splashing” in the rain!

32. “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”

Wonderful pics!

33. Mathangi says:

Loved the second picture and the one with the butterfly. Awesome!

34. Namita Lad says:

one can experience the freshness of rain just looking at these pictures
    really nice

35. These are amazing photos; thanks for sharing this beauty with us, Malou~

36. You captured some real good shots. Rain it changes the sights, sounds and the brings fragrance in the air. This was though special.. as if Time has frozen solid

37. How beautiful! Your photography is once again stunning Snd those moments you captured simply breathtaking :)

38. ybawany says:

Dear Malou,

These are phenomenal; just took my breath away.

Thank you for visiting my blog and liking my post. It’s a humbling experience, being recognized by someone as talented as you.

Cheers,
    Yousuf

39. Gilly Gee says:

fantastic Malou, I love the umbelliferous plant best!

40. It’s amazing how beautiful rain can look ;). Thanks for posting! And I love the photo with the butterfly…

41. Ashok1288 says:

I love this… :)

42. Nice photos. the water really adds an extra dimension doesn’t?

43. arlene1027 says:

This is the album I love best Malou, appreciating the beauty if simple things like raindrops on leaves and flowers. Your shots are all so lovely. Ang sipag mo mag blog…sabi ko sa iyo, travel book na dapati-publish mo, you have lots of materials to choose from.

Thanks a lot, Arlene! I haven’t gone back to taking raindrop pictures again. Should try to do that once the flowers are out and there are more to have as subjects. I try to blog every other day but it is indeed a very serious commitment and at the moment, it is also very busy at my work. Francesca is also going to school now so we also have a tough balancing act in managing our time schedules. Still, I really am enjoying this whole blogging experience. ;-)

44. dionysius says:

Gorgeous photos…..

45. Michi says:

GORGEOUS photos!! I love rainy Spring days. :)

46. A great post. I love how you’ve captured a whole other world that is asking us to just stop and look a little closer at things for how they are.

I needed to read this today. I had tried to make your Alfajores cookies for a trip yesterday–our oven is fan-assisted so I cannot following actual baking instructions. Put them in a 160, set a timer for 5 minutes while I ran up to get dressed. At four minutes, my husband said, “They’re burning!” I was so frustrated. Dealing with this oven is one of the hardest parts of my expat experience! But soon enough, we were at a castle by the sea and the beauty of where we were made me forget myself. (Even if we had to bring store-bought dessert instead.)

Thanks a lot, Erin. So sorry to hear about your Alfajores. I checked about the cooking instruction in my oven which has several settings and if you have a fan-assisted one, then the temperature should be set 20-25C degrees lower.

Glad to know that the castle visit made up for the frustration of a cooking event gone wrong. ;-)

47. piesandeyes says:

The flowers are beautiful glistening with the rain drops. Sure beats looking outside where I live looking at the drab winter!! Thanks for brightening up my day!!

48. Letizia says:

These photo’s are absolutely beautiful!!! Amazing that you can show me the pleasure of rain. As I grew up in the Netherlands I must confess I ‘hate’ rain!!!….

Thanks a lot, Letizia. With gray skies and rain, we always say that’s typical Dutch weather. I learned to look at it another way. ;-)

49. Madhu says:

Wow! Beautiul shots Malou!

50. otownmommy says:

you have such a talent capturing the beauty of things with your photos :) breathtaking!

51. Beautifully done ! Makes me pine for spring.

52. Vic Rana says:

Beautiful shots of the droplets..:-)

Thanks.

53. I’m so glad it rained (sorry…) because we have these stunning photos to admire now… My goodness… what lens did you use, was it a macro? You have an eye for beauty!!

54. Stunning shots! Way to make the most of the opportunity you were given!

55. Lauren says:

Stellar pictures!

56. Wonderful photos! There’s something about water drops that really add to the images.

57. Love the clarity of the world reflected in those droplets! There is nothing like the intensity of colour just after the rain has ended… Lovely photos!

58. Truly beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

59. You’ve taken some amazing photos! I too love the beauty of rain!

60. Leslie says:

I always love your photos. I posted a few on my Pinterest board and see that they have already been repinned.

61. cidnlars says:

Mmmm….I love going out after a nice rain and watching the rain drops dancing across the bush. Great shots!

62. You really are such a talented photographer…lovely images!

63. Beautiful shots. You have an eye for the small miracles that surround us. Thanks for the “like” on my “distorted” photo.

64. Gorgeous photos! I want to make a slideshow for a screensaver…

65. JoDee Luna says:

Your photos are spectacular!

66. Team Oyeniyi says:

Absolutely stunning photos. I so wish I could do macro photos like that. I love the top one, but I also like the jewellers inspiration – oh, they are all lovely!

67. ElizOF says:

The beads of water look like jewels. ;-)

68. The raindrops give the flowers the appearance of crystal chandeliers. I particuarly like the photos of raindrops on the Allium. They look like fireworks!

69. Gorgeous! I love the ‘rain effect’ too. Rain tends to be a bit more tropical here though, not so dainty! Some pics here: http://lightswimming.com/2012/01/31/rain-rain-rain/

70. Malou, Your images are book-worthy! They’re beauties. What an incredible series. Theadora (Now I’ve got that “Raindrops keep falling on my head” song in my mind!)

71. monmouthbite says:

Absolutely stunning photos. LOVE them.

72. Your photos are astonishing. You’re truly an artist with your camera.

73. All these photos are dazzling! Each one a gem in nature’s encrusted crown of glory.

74. svenoblivion says:

The one of the blue butterfly is definitely my favourite.

– s

75. Again…gorgeous! You are a fantastic flower photographer!!!

76. Bill Davis says:

I especially love the images of reflection in the droplets… a world within a world…

77. Hello Malou,
    Thanks for visiting and following my blog. I really like your writing and photography, and like you I’m fascinated by the beauty of the natural world, particularly at the micro level. This rain bejewelled flower series is lovely. Isn’t WP a great forum for finding out about life and ideas in other parts of the world, without the normal media’s commercially influenced opinions? Best wishes from a drizzly West Wales where we get over 1700mm of soft Welsh rain every year…and the flowers love it, Julian

You have a wonderful blog going, Julian. Gardening from a Welsh perspective is interesting in the sense that your climate out there is influenced by the Atlantic (or not?). I remember going to Ireland and visiting a lovely garden which has many tropical plants because I learned that that part of Ireland already has this sub-tropical climate. ;-)

78. Thank you for following my blog!
    And I couldn´t agree with you more, there´s magic in rain, at times I get the feeling it washes my sins away.

79. Sheryl says:

Absolutely stunning photographs! Beautiful!

80. snydeen says:

Wow are these gorgeous shots! I want to do some work with macro shots and love the idea of catching rain drops on spring flowers and leaves. Beautiful.

81. Dor says:

Fabulous, fantastic photographs Malou! Just outstanding.

82. Dave says:

Oh, Malou, these are wonderful. I’m going to be coming back to see them often. I do miss the rain here. Haven’t had any since last August.

83. I wish I could capture those great close up shots you always achieve! My camera just won’t do it (or maybe it’s me!)
    Ashley

84. Absolutely inspiring!! and now want it to rain so I can see what water close-ups I can get.

85. Awesome pics! I have always wanted to see close up raindrops!

86. Reblogged this on Been There Done That and commented:
    Your pictures are so captivating! I’m so taken with the strong bong you have with your family. It’s truly inspiring. BTW, The Beauty of Rain should be published in book form!

87. Your photography is absolutely stunning! So delicate, yet powerful! Thank you for following along http://www.bellableue.com! It is wonderful to have you on the journey!
    Blessings,Erin, Bella Bleue

88. Pingback: Rain-Washed Blessings Inspired by the Irish | Bella Bleue Healing, Health & Inspiration for Your Life

89. Denise says:

Wow, what stunning photos!

Having lived nearly my life in England, I never thought the day would come that I would pray for rain. I now live in Spain, in a valley where there are no water pipes and the only wtaer we have comes from the mountains, through tubes to each person’s garden, The normal extreme downpour (double the annual rainfall of England usually falls here between December and April) didn’t seem to be coming this year.

BUT it rained yesterday!!!!

Wonderful, beautiful rain ….!

90. norinep says:

Beautiful photos! I enjoy rain; the sound on the windows, the smell of the air after it’s over, the light as the sun peeks through the clouds. It’s all good!

91. westerner54 says:

What a wonderful post….made me smile at the end of a hard day. Thanks.

92. Beautiful, beautiful pictures! Living in Seattle we have to appreciate the rain – it’s here frequently. And I think it’s a great lesson you’ve shared that even when things don’t turn out the way we expect (or want) there is always still something of value.

93. naturebeing says:

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing. We can never get enough of nature and images of nature. What kind of camera do you use?

94. WOW. I really loved the photos on this posting. You give me some great ideas for my own postings. Your photos are excellent. So happy you visited my garden Blog and I found your Blog. I look forward to lots of visit. I so love going over Blogs that do lots of photos and no so much wording. The pictures do the “talking”. Very nice. Jack

95. askdrjames says:

thanks for sharing the beautiful photos

96. Lovely pictures! They made my heart feel good while looking at them. I’ve gotten some excellent pictures in fog as well. Sorry about your camping trip but you certainly made good use of the bad weather. :-)

97. Penny says:

Beautiful photographs and great job “going with the flow.” What lens did you use to capture those stunning images?
    And thanks for the comment on Travel Inspiration.

98. anaslense says:

Refreshing! Thanks for sharing!

99. Jaya says:

Such pretty pictures, Malou, I hope you have lots more rain to look forward to :)!

100. Wonderful writing and stunning photos! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the follow / like!

Jamy

101. Brigitte says:

Your photos are always stunning. What lens do you use to capture these images? My husband is a amateur photographer and I’m always on the look out for nice lenses! Beautiful!

102. saymber says:

You brought tears to my eyes this morning seeing your beautiful pictures. One of my most cherished sights in nature is morning dew on grass sparkling in the sunlight. “Dew on the lawn glistens til dawn, twinkles and sparkles and then is gone.” Thank you for looking at rain for what it is….a beautiful gift.

103. PiedType says:

What a beautiful way to start my day. I feel as though I’ve just taken a stroll down a dewy mountain path, complete with heavenly rain-scent. Thank you for taking me with you.

104. Amy says:

Stunningly beautiful, Malou!

105. boldbohemian says:

Lovely photos! I loved every one.

106. Steven says:

I spy a common blue! :-)

107. Cheryl Merrill says:

Beautiful pictures Malou! We too have lots of rain, but not many flowers out yet. Just crocus. Your spring is inspiring – i hope ours arrives soon!

108. Sarah Horton says:

Gorgeous photos, and a lovely reminder that our plans don’t always work out… but something works out anyway! Best, Sarah

109. Celly says:

The photos are gorgeous. They would make such beautiful wallpapers. Pretty colors and so eye-catching!

110. tanya grove says:

Gorgeous photos–so inspiring!

111. jane tims says:

Hi. I just love your photos, especially ‘an inspiration for jewlers’. Many of these plants are familiar to me in Canada, so they must be the same or close relatives of our species. I really enjoyed this post. Jane

112. mypastmademe says:

Yearning to visit Salzburg myself one day, I enjoyed reading your post and then was pleasantly surprised to find such an abundance of photographs accompanying the text. Seriously some of the most stunning photography I have ever seen. Thanks also for visiting my blog :)

113. The rain droplets make all the flowers look so fresh.

114. Jo Woolf says:

Incredible photos – beautiful.

115. Michelle Rochester says:

What a great eye you have for beauty!
    Extraordinary, beautiful and oh so inspiring. Your right we are always disappointed on holiday when it rains but to take a different perspective on appreciation of the rain and it’s true purpose is worth honouring.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing your gift.

Be Well.

116. akhivar says:

It was so beautiful with the little drop of the water touching the nature so fine..

117. BairbreSine (Barbara Gavin-Lewellyn) says:

Very impressive. I love the photos of the raindrops reflecting other things. Stellar!

Barbara

118. missc247 says:

Wow beautiful blog incredible pics!

119. I like the turnaround in your perspective and love the gorgeous pictures! Thank you!

120. mtapoadventure says:

Hi ,, nice photos you got in there,,,,,Thanks you also for dropping by my Blog,,,

121. miltonjohns says:

What a wonderful set of pictures. Fantastic. :)

122. Absolutely stunning images.

123. these are magnificent. I love the way you captured the raindrops on the flowers. Absolutely gorgeous

124. Debby says:

Awesome! Incredible photos. Incredible creation!

125. ayoliag says:

WOW! Your photos are beyond amazing!

126. vanevolence says:

These are some really great macro shots! I love your blog! Thanks for following mine.

127. dadirri7 says:

fabulous images, you are a wonderful a photographer and you make the rain look so nurturing, so beautiful in each shot, the delicate shining drops, hanging and falling, i love it! thanks for following my blog too malou :)

128. orples says:

You have really captured the essence of the raindrops in these photos. Beautiful entry.

129. Your photos are stunningly beautiful!

130. charley280 says:

Wonderful photography and an inspiring story of making the best of the situation.

131. danitacahill says:

Beautiful rain shots! Glad to rain appreciation! I posted a photo today of a raven in the rain. It rains a LOT in my part of Oregon, so I either have to photograph it, or leave my camera home! Thanks for following my photo blog. ; )

132. danitacahill says:

Oops, I meant glad to see rain appreciation.

133. Thandiwe says:

Hi! These are beautiful photographs! Thanks for checking out my blog (jyotir vidya). I hope you’ll visit again. I am looking forward to reading more of yours!

134. These are absolutely gorgeous! The clarity & the “drama” in these photos is wonderful.

Thanks for visiting my blog & liking my post.

135. andrea rugg says:

Really beautiful photos. I love the Netherlands – I’ve even thought I would like to move there!

136. Sofia says:

Love rain photos…

137. Just gorgeous! They all look like precious gems.

138. Monica says:

Wow, Malou! An inspiration for jewelers indeed! These are so exquisite.

139. Nature’s beauty and mystery captured in a raindrop.
    Evocative images.

140. Yolanda Presant says:

Absolutely stunning!

141. techmech says:

Great pictures, You have a good eye for photos of flowers in particular. Thanks for sharing.

142. What fabulous pictures!

143. Sunelly_Sims says:

Congratulations to this extremely beautiful photography!

Greetings
    Sunelly Sims

144. LyndaMichele says:

Beautiful photo’s! I also love raindrops on flower petals, and yours are really gorgeous :) Love your blog, thanks for stopping by mine!