Spring creatures (mid-April 2010)

Lady bug

I simply love spring and the best time to be here in the Netherlands is in April when the temperature has sufficiently warmed up to make flowers burst and bloom in profusion and for spring creatures to wake up from their deep slumber and join the bright new world again.

On these days, I can be found wandering around with my camera, lost in the beauty and wonder of the natural world. Here are the images I took almost 2 years ago just in our neighborhood. I’m looking forward to the coming weeks when the trees and shrubs will blossom again and I can take my fill of the beauty around me.

Bathing in pollen

Dragonfly

Bumble bee

Lady bug

Pas de deux

Lady bug

Lady bug

Spring blooms against the blue sky

Fly

177 Responses to Spring creatures (mid-April 2010)

1. Oh I really enoyed these! I love bees, so those were particular favorites!

2. superb photos, I love how you make even weeds look good!

Nice set of photographs Malou! :)

4. cemferreira says:

Absolutely lovely shots!

5. Seasweetie says:

I loved the ladybug pictures. You are so far ahead of us in your spring flowers…I can’t wait to catch up!

6. Oh I love ladubugs (or in dutch Lieveheersbeestjes)…beautiful pics Malou!!

7. scroungelady says:

I like the bee photos. We need more bees for our fruits and vegetables!

8. Colline says:

Beautiful shots of the small creatures that are necessary to bring us beautiful flowers.

9. You have an amazing eye for capturing the intricacies of nature. Thank you for sharing your beautiful gift with us. Blessings, Erin, Bella Bleue

10. sillyliss says:

These photographs are so amazing. All of them. My favorite is the bee on white, third from the top, with the ladybug a close second. We have a lot of ladybugs where I live. The children are currently fascinated by them. I am sure they have given more than a few ladies some massive panic attacks, as they do not quite know how to play gently with the bugs.

Thanks a lot. I can imagine that the lady bugs get massive panic attacks from the kids. In time though, they will learn to handle them carefully. My daughter is quite careful now with them compared to last year. ;-)

Your photos are absolutely stunning!

12. Beautiful! I will be coming your way in a few weeks, hope to see tulips in bloom!

13. Maryam says:

How amazingly beautiful….I am green with envy….

Wouldn’t find being a bug … around you – when you make them all look so cute. I love our bugs, cute or not … they are so important for our existence. Beautiful photos as always!

But they are cute, Viveka. We really just need to look at them closely. I can be lost in the world of bees and bugs for hours watching them go about their business. So engrossing. ;-)

• viveka says:

Yes, they are cute … when I was young I was so upset with Donald Duck, because he was always so abusive against the bugs.

15. Rhoda Kirwan says:

Wow! Amazing photos. R 😃

16. Ma’am, if i ever forget how beautiful this celestial ball is, all I need to do is look at your photo’s and it’ll all come back to me!

Ha, ha, ha! You made me laugh there. Yes, this celestial ball is beautiful and at times we just need to look closely with our hearts. ;-)

17. Malou…you are a very gifted photographer. :) Does National Geographic (or some European magazine of that sort) know how talented you are?
    Insects really are so beautiful! These photos made me remember a trip to a Butterfly Pavillion…where thousands of butterflies fill the air as you walk through the exhibit building. There were also displays of many different types of beetles…sparkling like brightly colored gemstones in a royal crown. :)
    Thank you so much for shaing these spring moments with us!

I’m flattered by your compliments, Vivian. I am an amateur photographer with no training in the field. ;-)

Butterflies are simply so captivating. We took our daughter to a Butterfly Farm while we were on holiday in France last year. She enjoyed the experience. Going to a Butterfly Pavilion with thousands of butterflies must be amazing.

18. Cathy says:

Lovely photos – especially the bees! Look forward to this spring’s pictures too! :-)

19. OOOOOOOH !!! Dear Malou, this is my favorite photo series. But I always say that, don’t I?! And I mean it at the time. Love, love the pics of the lady bugs. I want a dress that color! With the polka dots. This is the perfect Springtime post! Theadora

Thanks a lot, Theadora. How is spring unfolding in lovely Paris? It must be looking great out there by now. I’d love to dress up in lady bugs fashion too. However, I’ll let the little girl do it instead of me. ;-)

20. Such beautiful photos!

Interestingly, we here in Chicago already have the blossoms, but it is way too early (despite a week of near-80 degree weather) for the marvelous insects!

Thanks a lot. With the blossoms, it must be very beautiful out there now in Chicago.

We’re lagging behind with the blossoms this year but I saw a lot of lady bugs today.

21. Lady birds are a sign of good luck in Italy. Is the same in Hollan? In any case these ones are adorable!

22. kentiki says:

Great shots of spring. I love Pas de Deux, very sweet. It’s funny how ladybugs always look cute, not matter what they’re doing.

23. I love the photography. All of your posts put me in a good mood!

24. Anne-Marie says:

Oh, Malou, such beautiful photos you take . .the details on the bees and other flying insects are quite amazing. Where do I start with my list of favourite? Well, the dusting of pollen on the ladybug was delightful. As were the 2 doing the dance of love … I’ve seen them in action, but not able to take the photo .. this was great nature. And there are some unusual flying insects, that I’ve not seen before. You are an amazing photographer, a real delight .. thank you for sharing these amazing photos!!!

Thanks a lot, Anne-Marie. Isn’t it amazing what creatures we discover when we really take a moment to get a closer look? I’m always so surprised myself at what I discover each time I go out. ;-)

25. Malou, I continue to be awed by your photos. You have a gift for catching detail and the present moment.

26. L. says:

beautiful photos =)

27. bluebee says:

Your photographs are absolutely superb, Malou! Do you do any photography professionally? If not, you should – definitely in a class of your own.

28. So beautiful Malou – I feel the bobbles of spring inside when I see them :-)

Thanks for sharing!

29. You have a wonderful eye for photography! What kind of camera do you use? I love the one with the bee covered in pollen :)

Thanks a lot, Maura. I am using an old Nikon D60 (I say old because there are newer models in the market which has superseded this one.). ;-)

30. Micha says:

Love the ladybug pics!

31. mountainmae says:

What can I say except everyone that made a comment before was right- these are amazing. The close view of the insects gets to showcase their colors. Rolling in the pollen must feel like a treat for them.

32. Java Girl says:

Lady bugs! Gotta love them! Spring is one of my all time favorite seasons. Even though I’ve been here in the USA since 1993, I still welcome it with open arms and as if I’m experiencing it for the first time. I never get tired of it. Just like Fall, however; it is so fleeting. I love how you captured the bugs and the bees, they all seem to have their own personality. The ladybug, not to be outdone in one of your pictures, has her entire head inside the flower! It just made me laugh, it was cute!

Thanks a lot. We share the same fascination for spring and fall and that could be because we both came from tropical countries where we don’t have these seasons. Spring to me is still like going into a whole new world each year. And fall to me apart from the spectacular colors are also a signal that the world which has worked overtime in summer has to take its much needed break. ;-)

33. naturebeing says:

Nice close ups. I always enjoy bug photos and your work. We must be on the same wave length. I have been working on my next post for several days. It has images of insects also. I took them many years ago with a 35 mm camera. Soon I hope to get a better digital camera to go back to my close up work. Peace naturebeing

Thanks a lot, Nature Being. I also enjoyed looking at your insect shots. Great ones with your 35mm camera. It is better to go digital, saves a lot of money on films. ;-)

34. beingjulz says:

Lovely! Gives new appreciation for insects!

35. Desi Chick says:

I’m super impressed and envious of your amazing photography skills. Mad props Malou.

Thanks a lot, Tahmina. Photography is something that can be self-learned. You just have to see beauty in everything around you. ;-)

36. Marina says:

You have a lot of patience to take those pictures. So far I have not had any luck catching the little creatures with my camera. Thanks for sharing!

37. Wow… what vibrant colors and yes, you are way ahead of us in flowering for Spring!! You have an amazing gift as an artist (in many ways!)

38. Judy says:

Malou! I am so impressed with your photos! They are gorgeous and perfectly sharp. (something I get frustrated with..with my macro lens!) And all the “creatures” you captured! All the beautiful flowers too! Amazing….just amazing~
    Awesome post!

Thanks a lot, Judy. I use the kit lens of my camera but I use the sports setting when I take pictures of insects so that they come out sharp. ;-)

Beautiful photos! So warm so soon there this year too? We may usually have six inches of snow on the ground but 85 degrees? We shall take it gladly in Southeast Michigan!!

40. katehobbs says:

A wonderful collection of photographs. And all have such detail. Can’t wait to be photographing blossoms, but we are a little behind you here in Canada.
    Thank you for visiting and liking my blog.

41. fiztrainer says:

Gorgeous photos. I love spring too. It makes me feel like a kid. LOL

42. zelmare says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I tried to photograph a bee a few days ago, and it just would not keep still long enough for me to press the shutter! :)

43. Purely.. Kay says:

Just look at all those bees pollinating.. beautiful to see but also reminds me that I need to take my allergy medicine LOL. Love these photos

Oh, I also have allergy now, Kay. I had my allergy test last Thursday and my worst allergy attack is from the grass and hazelnut flowers. Spring has its downside, huh! ;-)

44. S Joe says:

Loved all the photos! Absolutely gorgeous. I better get my camera ready for the spring.

45. Brigitte says:

Ladybugs are omens of good luck in several cultures. Here’s what I found on the subject:

“In Europe the Ladybug is believed to bring specific benefits: Central Europeans –and similarly some Swedes–believe that if a Ladybug crawls across a maiden’s hand she would soon be married; Germans believe that the Ladybug is generally good luck but a traditional belief is that if there are less than seven spots you are guaranteed a good harvest; in England each spot means a lucky month to come; in French vineyards Ladybugs bring good weather; and, similarly, in Austria a Ladybug is a sign of good weather. Others believe in the Ladybug, too: its name in Iran means “Good News”; and Canadians say that you should make a wish and let the Ladybug fly away–the direction it flies too shows the direction from which your wish will come. Also in Canada, finding a ladybug overwintering in the garage brings good luck! The Chinese consider it good luck to find one in the house.”

But, I like all of these photos — all of them beautiful and inspirational — thanks for sharing!!

46. Great shots, I particularly liked the lad bug in the apple blossom…all covered in pollen. :)

Jess

47. foodashion says:

Hi I nominated you for the VERY INSPIRING BLOGGER AWARD. I really enjoy reading your blog.

Tastefully yours,
    Tasha

48. Your photos are simply amazing! What a joy to see them!

49. Awesome pics, and I LOVE the lady bugs!

50. karencooking says:

I’ve got to share this with my 7-year-old. She loves flowers AND insects!

51. Lynne Ayers says:

up close and personal – nice shots

52. artofsabbath says:

Malou, I always enjoy seeing your photos. I’ll have to see which camera you have in addition to your fantastic eye!

Thanks a lot. I am using an old Nikon D60 (I say that because there are newer models in the market which has taken over this one. ). ;-)

53. saymber says:

You made me smile again today with these beautiful pictures. I see you share my sentiment that dandelions are beautiful too! Bees and lady bugs at work! SO precious. I learned dandelions were important just a couple weeks ago when I was about to yank one out and found a bee feeding on my target and a butterfly feeding nearby on another. If they think they are special well I think I do too!

Glad to know that these pictures brought smiles your way. I love dandelions especially when the green spot near my home is carpeted in them. My daughter loves blowing the dandelion seeds away. ;-)

54. aedpad says:

Your photographs are extraordinary….just beautiful.

55. magnificent! happy spring :)

56. Dor says:

Wonderful shots Malou! I love spring too – full of hope and new beginnings.

57. adamontheweb says:

Wow! I’m loving it.

58. janechese says:

beautiful macro shots,Malou, I like the crispness of the foreground and blurred background and the colours are great.

59. SanVar says:

Amazing shots ! Gorgeous colors !

60. Araminta says:

Hello Malou.

What beautiful photographs.

Thank you for your visit to my site. :)

61. These are beautiful – what type of camera do you use, if you don’t mind my asking?

62. sheenatanes says:

Great beautiful pictures! awesome details!
    thanks for visiting and liking my blog. :)

63. Jox says:

Stunning! You’ve made me look at nature in a different way. I am generally scared of such creatures but your photos are remarkable that my fears have been set aside :)

64. PiedType says:

I’ve always thought macro photography captures the essence of a place far better than sweeping landscapes. Anyone can pass through and see the large features, but to truly, fully appreciate it, you need to be aware of what’s right under your nose. Too many people miss the details you’ve captured here.

Thanks a lot. I do love landscapes but I also try to catch up on the bugs and other seemingly insignificant subjects to others. Bugs, bees, butterflies, flowers…they all have amazing stories to tell which should deserve our attention. ;-)

65. J. R. Walls says:

This blog made me smile! A really colorful and refreshing place to be after trawling through the often grey and depressing poetry/literature corner of wordpress :P

I’ll be back for sure…

66. catrinblue says:

Wow – amazing insect pictures…….;)

67. Fergiemoto says:

These are great macro shots! I enjoyed looking at them.

68. Steven says:

Loving the bees and lady bugs. Some gorgeous colours here.

69. Hello.

These Macro shots are outstanding. ‘Bathing in Pollen’ : something I had not considered before but no less inspirational.

Talia.

70. Lisa Murray says:

Wonderful photos of busy insects and blossoms. I noticed a lot of lady bugs this week here in Greece, it’s definitely spring!

71. michelle gd says:

what lovely spring pictures!

72. Kristen Joy says:

Beautiful pictures! If I ever go back to Europe, I’ll have to plan to visit the Netherlands. Thanks for checking out my blog.

73. Louis says:

There are some super photos here. You clearly have a keen eye and a good lens.

74. I very much enjoyed your insect/flower pictures! I’ve never seen the hairy-looking gold fly before…Thanks for visiting my site!

75. Jane says:

these photos are absolutely amazing…you certainly have a mindful eye and are a superb photographer as well. thanks for sharing, and for like my blog posts aswell which has led me to your blog
    with love light and jOY

76. susanmaas says:

I tried to post, but I think it got lost somewhere… I just wanted to thank you for dropping by my blog and giving me the chance to discover yours. With Dutch ancestry way back in my family history, I find your blog even more interesting. And your photographs are wonderful!

Nice blog you’ve got, Susan. Indeed your name “Maas” speaks of your Dutch ancestry. You should come and visit Holland to reconnect with relatives. ;-)

77. Beautiful shots! I could see such awareness of life happening before your very eyes captured with your camera. By the way, thanks for visiting mine recently…I am so new to the “Blog community”! Can’t wait to see photos of butterflies…my favorite!

Thanks a lot. Isn’t it amazing to just watch these creatures in their own world? I could be lost in their world especially in springtime. I have butterfly pictures as well which I’ll be posting later. ;-)

78. beechcreekproject says:

I love your photos and blog. Nothing like spring to bring out the color in the outdoors. Keep up the great work.

79. The bumble bee on the white flowers is the fluffiest bee I have ever seen! What a great shot!

Thanks a lot. Bumble bees are just such busy creatures that they are quite difficult to photograph but they are funny to see hopping from one flower to the next. ;-)

80. gorgeous photos! love the bee with the clear wings moving.

81. I love the vibrant colors!

82. Exquisite creatures, these insects!!!

83. ....RaeDi says:

You captured spring perfectly, the photos are incredible!

84. Excellent close-ups of those insects. I really like that last super fly!

85. Olivia Mair says:

Spring in the NL is hard to beat! And with Floriade this year you’re going to be spoiled! Great photos

86. all your shots are composed really well!!
    such pretty colors….lovely :~))

87. Lu says:

Lots and lots of happy bugs and bees – fantastic set of photographs :)

88. I love the photos of the ladybugs. They are one of the few insects that I actually like!
    Ashley

89. jbfotography says:

Excellent macro photography! Enjoyed your pictures very much!

90. Pavi says:

There’s something about Ladybirds/Ladybugs which is so cute.

You’ve shared some lovely photos here.

Insects are really popular with young kids in Japan. I’ll be putting up a post on it in the next couple of weeks. Please check it out.

91. nicolegodwin says:

What amazing photos! What type of camera and lens are you using (I’m sure it’s listed somewhere on your blog, but I couldn’t find it).

And thanks for visiting and following my blog http://www.gdaycanucks.com.
    Cheers!!

92. Pingback: Sunday Post: Focused Attention…Does Your Child Get Yours? « Positive Parental Participation

93. Pingback: Maria’s Mysterious Mission…Hiking the Colorado Rockies with John Fielder | Positive Parental Participation