Fun at a nature reserve area

Posbank

This post is a continuation of an earlier post on “One unreachable castle on fine fine day”. I wrote about how Biljoen Castle was off-limits to visitors but that we found a wonderful alternative in the lovely nature reserve and another castle within the area.

A short distance from Biljoen Castle is Posbank, a nature reserve area in the vicinity of the Veluwe. Considering that most of Holland is flat, this place is pretty special with its hilly landscape and the highest point at 90 meters above sea level is already mountainous by Dutch standard. ;-)

The hills are covered by heather which are brown and dry for now but must be spectacular in summer when they are in full bloom.

The place was perfect for our little girl whose imagination was boundless as to what games to play in such an environment.

Our family

Brown and dry heather

A bumble bee checking out the little girl ;-)

This caterpillar gave me the creeps ...

A lone tree among the heather

Relaxing...

Father and daughter

Posbank landscape

Trying the coffee

Me and my little girl

Among the heather

Checking out a rabbit hole

131 Responses to Fun at a nature reserve area

1. Pam says:

What a beautiful family and special place. Can’t wait to see the summer pics!

2. rapideyemvmt says:

wow! this is really beautiful. your daughter looks very introspective and contemplative in her environment, how fun for all of you!

3. Your daughter is very lucky to have the chance to grow up surrounded by such beautiful places! She is also very lucky to have parents who love and enjoy nature as much as you both!

It’s so nice to see parents sharing good times outdoors with their children! Lovely pictures too! :)

Your photos are always so wonderful to see, daughter is adorable! Great landscape. :)

6. Great photos. That caterpillar kind of gives me the creeps too. It looks huge in that picture.

7. cyleodonnell says:

Great shots. And they’re made even better by a very photogenic model! Is this a second blog from the one in the Netherlands?

8. smallprayer says:

Look at the little beauty :), your daughter is lovely MA….and pix are awesome

9. nyboriqua says:

what a cutie ur daughter is! i too love nature and only wish we could all live in harmony with it and enjoy it the way it was meant by the Creator.

Thanks a lot. I guess it is important to instill the right values and appreciation of nature to the little ones so that they will grow appreciating it and will ensure that they carry on as stewards.

10. Solveig says:

Wow, that’s a lot of pictures!

11. Beedie says:

I love Nature Reserves. And that is the cutest girl EVER! Beautiful photography. Thank you for sharing.

12. kenben says:

I really enjoyed this one.

13. Great shots and beautiful family!

14. Gracie says:

What a beautiful view and a beautiful family. Your little girl looks like such a darling.

15. Teresa Silverthorn says:

How very beautiful! Thank you for sharing these photos with us :)

16. sillyliss says:

The relaxing picture just whisked me away to another world.

Meanwhile, the caterpillar is adorable and the bumblebee on your daughter’s neck kind of creeped me out a bit! Heh.

My little girl always love to lie down on the grass. ;-)

She was quite freaked out by the bumblebees but in the end, was convinced that they don’t sting. ;-)

17. momgonepaleo says:

Beautiful photos. Loved it.

18. lucindalines says:

Great photos. Looks like lots of fun!

19. Jeremy says:

This looks like a great place to explore, a great place to wonder. I look forward to seeing more of your adventures.

20. RDoug says:

What a beautiful nature preserve.

And great photos, as always, Malou.

21. David says:

Love all the photos!!! the initial ones with the wooden steps were stunning!

Beautiful photos as usual, Malou! Your little girl brings a splash of colour to the somewhat barren landscape.

23. What a beautiful family! Looks like it was a memorable day for you, too. :)

24. Anne-Marie says:

Beautiful scenic photos and your little girl is a sweetheart! That little caterpillar may be getting ready to cocoon and be a butterfly??? It’s very interesting to see other areas of The Netherlands, beautiful heather ..

Thanks a lot, Anne-Marie. There are a lot of interesting areas in The Netherlands but oftentimes they are obscured by Amsterdam. ;-)

25. oceannah says:

Oh Malou, I love the pictures today! Reminds me of when my little girl was that age and loved her pink striped twirly dresses. What a wonderful gift we give our children when we offer them opportunities to explore and play in nature :)
    *anna

26. Beautiful pictures. I love weekends when we just spend quality time with our family.

27. amras888 says:

Your work is inspiring. I loved your ‘mountains’ jest, and your family is lovely.

28. wren08 says:

What a wonderful view of Holland! Your daughter makes a lovely focus for the landscape as well-

29. As usual, the pictures are so spontaneous… you make a simple exploration look like a luxury vacation!

30. BTW, did you change the look of the blog?

31. Another amazing set of photos of you and your beautiful family and a stunning location. =) Diana

Can she be more pink that day or what? Lovely photos! I especially like the ones with mom and daughter and the family photo!

33. All the caterpillar needs is to be ten feet long and it’s the star of a great cheesy horror movie! At the other end of the spectrum, however, is this gorgeous little girl who makes all of the scenery and interesting objects around her just that much more lovely by being among them . . . :)

34. ladyfi says:

So many wonderful pictures of joy – both in the people and the countryside!

35. chrisstov says:

A lovely picture story you have created. I shall look forward to reading your other blogs.

36. kensbackhome says:

I really enjoyed these photos. It’s so refreshing to see a child’s wonder at everything we simply take for granted. It’s amazing how they find great fun just playing with a broken tree branch or a blade of grass…

37. namitasunder says:

Thanks for visiting my space and in turn directing me here.I truly loved to reach here.loved the pics……..the azure expanse of sky ,the wilderness and most of all your little girl.

shall come back to enjoy the flowers of spring in leisure

my best wishes to your little princess.

38. Jo Woolf says:

Beautiful photos! Thank you for following my blogs – I hope that you will enjoy them.
    Best wishes, Jo

39. I love the picture of you with your daughter!!

40. Love the pic of you with your daughter.

41. Katrina says:

i really enjoy looking at your photos. i love everything about it. family. nature. love. it’s very inspiring :)

Thanks for sharing .. wouldn’t expect to find nature like this in Holland – more like Scotland to me. Wonderful family picture … like the one with your little girl and the bumblebee – she was brave – you have tought her well. *smile

43. Giiid says:

It´s always interesting to see new places, your photos are very informative, and your lovely little girl makes them sweet too. :-)

44. Lynne Ayers says:

Such wonderful family outings, giving your daughter such wonder full days and time as a family – important.

45. Wow your pictures really inspire me to go and visit Holland! We’re planning on traveling the world and now I guess we have another spot we DEFINITELY need to hit up. Thanks!

46. saymber says:

Oh these were wonderful!! I felt like I was out having an adventure with all of you. Isn’t it wonderful to go to places like this and see everything like she does? Made me smile ear to ear looking at these. I love adventures like this and your pictures take us there. Thank you! When I visited Holland many years ago my favorite memory was the tulips and the fact that they made streets for bikes. Just a lovely country.

47. zerode says:

Great photos. What a nice day out!

48. tanyamhudson says:

These pictures are gorgeous, and your little girl is so pretty. (Not to mention how sweet and inquisitive she looks in these photos.) Lovely!

49. we enjoy nature reserve areas in northern california as well. similar looking too. your daughter is too cute!

50. What a wonderful day.

51. I really need to get to your part of the world…beautiful (especially from the damp cold perspective in NY today!)

52. Faithrises says:

Beautiful family! Thanks for sharing these lovely photos. :)

53. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! Your little girl is just adorable… :)

54. What a lovely set of pictures. Four is the best age.

55. Brigitte says:

You should publish a book of a your gorgeous photography. Your little one will have memories that are very special indeed!

56. Love the rabbit hole photo! And I would freak and drop my camera if I was there when that bumble landed on your daughter. I don’t mind mice, spiders and snakes, but I freak when any species of bee is buzzing near me! Kudos on your composure so as to not instill that fear in your daughter.

The bumble bees don’t sting, Sheila. I should know, been bitten by wasp which was terrible and later by a bee when I was pregnant with my little girl. ;-)

• Ooh, that’s a good fact to know. I will try now to get a good shot of one of the bumbles. Since you knew this, your daughter was not instilled with fear. :) I have stepped on ground bees and a really mean hornet attacked me. Thank God I am not allergic to bee stings. Now that spring has sprung I will try to overcome my fear – at least around the bumbles. :)

57. Hi Malou, I really enjoyed seeing your post. I loved the picture of your daughter exploring the rabbit hole. All are excellent photographs. Glad you also love nature! Have a great day tomorrow!

58. It was so lovely and completely different seeing the natural reserve’s landscape after the manicured castle gardens. Loved this! And of course, your precious daughter’s face is always a treat!

Love the new picture, Barbara. The area has plenty of surprises. There’s also a museum in the middle of the forest with a good collection of Van Gogh paintings and sketches. ;-)

59. The bumblebee looks so big! I can just imagine the heather blooming. The photos of your daughter are precious. She will have so many wonderful memories to reflect upon when she’s older and looks back on the photos!

Thanks a lot, dancing antelope. Can’t wait for the heather season when everything is a carpet of pink under the skies. ;-)

60. kalalushop says:

These photos are beautiful! And your little girl is adorable :)

61. lovechelsa says:

hey malou, thanks for dropping by my blog and following me! your pictures are gorgeous and your daughter is so lovely :) i wish i could have weekends like yours!

62. Beautiful nature views! I love the staircase – seems so mysterious and legendary…

63. What a fantastic day! Love your post.

64. Pat says:

What a beautiful location! I love the shots of your little girl learning to enjoy and appreciate nature.

65. Purely.. Kay says:

This place looks absolutely beautiful and serene. What great shots you captured. And your family looks absolutely darling as always :)

66. clinock says:

Brilliant photographs and site and thank you for following art rat cafe, i am honoured.

67. NatalieSCook says:

Lovely photos! So glad that your daughter can spend time outside when so many these days are either watching TV or studying! My best childhood memories are of being outside!

And I love the previous posts photos! The ladybird in the blossom photo is so similar to mine! Funny bugs! Love spring and would love to visit the Netherlands!

Natalie.

Thanks a lot, Natalie. You are right, many kids nowadays are hooked in front of then TV but I want my daughter to develop that love for the outdoors.

I hope you can get to visit Holland one springtime. ;-)

68. travelindia says:

Hi Malou
    Beautiful Pic’s, Love the way she is Relaxing!!!! what a beautiful day out.
    can’t wait for summer pic’s.

69. Jan Freeman says:

wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing :-)

70. pianoman12 says:

I Love these Photos
    you have a lovely family!
    Great memories to have

71. You and your family get out on some wonderful adventures. I bet your daughter will treasure all these photos as she grows older.

Thanks a lot, Diane. We are creating memories from these adventures which we hope will be something she will cherish in the future. ;-)

72. Michi says:

I love nature reserves! You capture your adventurous weekends with your family so beautifully. :)

73. sheila7697 says:

Love the family photos, your daughter is a little beauty! ~ Sheila

74. Amy says:

I love these photos! “Me and My Littler Girl” is so beautiful, and the Among the Heather is a wow capture of your daughter. Thank you so much for visiting my humble site!

75. Wow, you’re right, that heather must be lovely in the summer! I love how 90 meters above sea level is mountainous by Dutch standards! But then again, most of Holland is built from reclaimed land after sea walls were built, right?

Also, I love the little characters that your daughter was riding on. Are those hand carved wooden horses and bulls?

This country is too flat, Alisa. Thus, any elevation is already remarkable by their standard. ;-)

Re: carved wooden horses and bulls, yes, they are hand-carved.

76. You have the most beautiful blog, and your photography is stunning! Just what I’ve been looking for…
    And thank you for following Jennifer’s Journal :)