Yet another castle on one fine spring day

Rosendael Castle

There are times in life when our plans take a different turn and yield surprises beyond our expectations. A few weeks ago, we went to the Veluwe intent on exploring Biljoen Castle but that turned out to be off-limits to the public. Instead, we discovered a nature reserve nearby and was pleasantly surprised by the sheer beauty of the landscape and can hardly wait to be back when the season of heather goes full swing.

On the way back home, we took a different route and discovered a very nice hilly hairpin road which is pretty unusual in this very flat country whose great part is even below sea level. That drive led us to discover yet another hidden beauty in the Veluwe forest — the lovely Medieval Rosendael Castle. Being the castle freak that I am, I was right away captivated by the lovely sight in front of me. Too bad that it was already getting late and the little girl after all the playing in the nature reserve fell asleep in the car. I just went by myself to take a few pictures, intent to come back another time. The castle was anyway closed till end-March so I did not feel so bad that I have missed on a lovely visit. All the more reason to return…

I was charmed too by the crocuses in full bloom and the busy bees.

A lion statue at the castle's entrance

Rosendael Castle in the distance

Rosendael Castle

View of the village houses from the castle's park

Rosendael Castle

One of the buildings in the castle's grounds

Rosendael Castle

A thatched house that is pretty common in the area

Yet another thatched house

A white crocus and its visitor

Busy bees

Dainty white crocuses

Purple crocus and its visitor

Saw this horse-drawn carriage just as we were leaving...

99 Responses to Yet another castle on one fine spring day

1. Unexpected surprises are the best part about traveling!

2. Jessica says:

Your pictures are so gorgeous! It looks like you had some nice weather. I’m surprised the castle is medieval though – it looks so different from other castles.

Thanks a lot, Jessica. The original part of the castle was medieval but it has gone through several process of restorations already and the last one was not so long ago after the damages it sustained from the air raids during WW2. ;-)

3. Colline says:

The castle is in an absolutely beautiful setting.

4. I’m so jealous!!! How beautiful! Great pictures :-)

All are very nice places. Those manicured lawns and luscious flower beds make wonderful areas for tourism and attractive photography. Enjoy the good weather! :)

6. sillyliss says:

Oh, the purple!!!

7. Of course, I’m in love with the regal lion. Checkout the paw action! That’s exactly how my cat strikes a pose! Another lovely series! The duck photo is another favorite. Have you always been a “castle freak” ?! I love that description, by the way. Have you added any castle-like features to your house? Wink! Confession: I’d like one about the size of Marie Antoinette’s Petit Trianon. That would work. Double wink! Theadora

You’re such a cat lady, ha, ha, ha! I must have been a princess in previous life so I always feeling of familiarity with castles and palaces. No, I read too much fairy tales as a child and never outgrew my fascination for anything royal and regal. In high school, I had too much of Barbara Cartland’s books which are historical royal romances. ;-)

As always, wonderful photos. Castles are great.

9. I love the photo with the three bees .. all so Bee-zy!! There seem to be a lot of castles in Holland .. do you have a count on how many? This seems to “bee” (sorry!) a very interesting subject .. and I look forward to hearing more about them! :)

Thanks a lot. There are plenty of castles in this country (could be over a hundred) and I’ve seen only a handful. Some castles are function as museums, others are fancy hotels which can be booked for special occasions. There are also those which are still used as private residences. ;-)

10. kenben says:

I am enjoying your blog very much.

11. Once again pretty pictures.

12. Just beautiful, once again!! I’m pining this one…..

13. Lynne Ayers says:

Is this where the expression “busy as a bee” comes from ….

14. Lovely spring pictures. We are slowly edging into spring, although it never got above 50F here today.

Thanks a lot, Cheryl. We had some wonderfully warm days till the dip again today and the next few days. Still, spring is progressing so I shouldn’t complain. ;-)

15. Marina says:

How beautiful is spring! Color, smell, taste… everything Spring is re-freshing, hopeful, inspiring. Great post!

16. WunWythe says:

The photos you have been getting are fantastic! Great scenery. Thank you for sharing with us.

17. Lucy says:

I always enjoy reading your posts – you really are great at photography :)

I can’t wait to explore Rosendael Castle through your photos when you go back!

19. Wow…is the grass really that perfectly green?! So exquisite!

20. Slurrrrped this one up, Malou. So, so pretty.

21. FeyGirl says:

Sooo jealous of all your castles. :)

22. beatrix mana says:

Looks like something out of Pride and Prejudice.Nice

23. altshep says:

Love your photos and blog – you have a beautiful family!

Hoping the hubby and I can make a Europe trip next year (:

24. David says:

Wow!!! Love these photos!!

25. scroungelady says:

Our most enjoyable travel experiences have been those with no expectations. It looks like you have a good excuse to revisit, one of the pleasures of traveling.

26. Just another reason why the Netherlands is one of my favourite countries!

27. Robyn Lee says:

Fairytales are a passion! Love castles too. Looks like a lovely day and some beautiful pictures of the bees and flowers. Haven’t been on a horse-drawn carriage since day after my wedding – so romantic! Thanks for sharing such great memories!

28. So much to love about these photos, from the castles and thatched roof homes, but especially the elegant curve of the beautiful purple blooms. I love how it’s a gentle reminder that they’re in a man made formation on castle grounds…

29. Patricia says:

Thankyou for very much for visiting my blog. Your photos are just beautiful. I hope you have a lovely new week.

30. Another great castle story, thanks!

31. Beautiful, as always! Isn’t it cool to imagine what it must have been like to have lived in one of those huge houses!!

32. rubysongbird says:

I adore all your castle photos! Makes me wish I could pop by for a weekend visit!

33. Java Girl says:

Oh my goodness! Such beautiful pictures! Imagine living during the years the castles were most active. Love the flowers!

34. adamontheweb says:

Something is missing in the photos…….Oh! its the little girl.

35. Jane says:

beautiful post….the bee and flower is amazing..you’s certainly got “the eye”. Much thanks for sharing

36. beautiful photography, thank you for following my blog.

37. Beautiful! What a lovely setting. If I couldn’t live in the castle I’d happily settle for one of those thatched cottages. I had no idea there were so many castles in the Netherlands, thanks for sharing them with us.

38. namitasunder says:

Wow…the castle and the landscape around it ..enthralling and the crocuses simply took my breath away.

Thanks for sharing..

That pink castle will I suite well in – what a beautiful area and castle. Your lovely wee bugs again – they are cute as always. Stunning photo’s – I would love to go there … is’t fare from Amsterdam ??? Stunning area!! Thank you so much for sharing.

40. sheila7697 says:

Beautiful! What a never-ending weath of material you have living in such a scenic region! Thank you for the lovely photos, as always. Makes my morning start with a smile! ~ Sheila

41. Amy says:

Your photos are poetic and beautiful. Reading your post, I felt like I was following you to this beautiful land to enjoy the elegance and peacefulness of the castle. Thank you for sharing!

42. Ambre Falls says:

These are really beautiful! I would love to visit a castle one of these days. i nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award: http://athousandwordsinone.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/very-inspiring-blogger-award/

43. Mind Margins says:

Don’t you just love all the castles in Europe? I loved visiting them in Switzerland. Your crocus photos brought back a lot of memories of the garden I used to have. Coming from Texas, it always felt like spring would never arrive!

44. You truly live in the land of fairytale castles! I always feel so refreshed after reading your posts – thank you.

45. Wonderful pictures, and a great eye you have! Those flower shots are stunning!

46. polly says:

beautiful photos

47. So wonderful and inspiring! Hooray for spring!

48. I love these kinds of unexpected treasures! The castle is so cute. What a wonderful color it is!

And those are some beautiful crocuses. Looks like you all had an amazing day!

49. Malou – your nature photography is really amazing. Specially your zoomed in shots of the flowers…

50. Wow, what an idyllic setting! It’s so amazing that you stumbled upon this :)

51. Cynosurd says:

Gorgeous photos–it certainly seems like spring has indeed sprung! Glad you’re getting out there and enjoying it with the crocuses. The unexpected adventures are the ones worth going for

52. Fergiemoto says:

Wow, such wonderful photos! The castle and the way you captured it in your photos is beautiful!

53. Beautiful. The castle looks like it came straight out of a fairytale. It’s lovely to see thatch still in use; even in Highland Crofts here in Scotland it’s rare these days.

54. Simply magnificent shots!

55. wolfsrosebud says:

outstanding pics…

56. Beautiful! I don’t suppose they rent out to summer visitors? :)

57. Judy says:

WOW… another gorgeous castle! I’m so jealous! It’s beautiful and so are your photos…both of the castle and of the grounds….the crocuses, the bees….everything. Lovely!

58. love the castle pics, so incredible.

59. hottabb says:

oh wow, like in a story book! Picture perfect ;-)

60. Wow, gorgeous photos!

61. goodluckcharmsthatwork says:

I am nominating YOU for The Versatile Blogger Award because…your blog is one of the best ever!

62. MakeupByKimB says:

GORGEOUS pictures!

63. Great photos! I lived in the Netherlands when I was a kid, and this have brought back some excellent memories :)

64. Castle freaks are the best kind of freaks there are! I’m one, too:) I can’t wait until you go back and snap some photos of the inside when it is open. Isn’t it wonderful when you are surprised in your travels by viewing a castle that you didn’t know was there! That’s the best.
    Ashley

65. Shutterbug Sage says:

Gorgeous pics! Reminds me of the years I lived in Maastricht as a child. Such a beautiful country (especially when it’s not raining)! :)

66. Debra Kolkka says:

Great photos. I spent ages the other day trying to make bees sit still for a photo.

Thanks a lot, Debra. Next time, have your camera on sports setting so that you can quickly take the pictures and they remain sharp in resolution. ;-)

67. susannye says:

love the crocuses … thank you – Susan

68. I am such a sucker for castles! Must be the inner princess in me….Loved the photos

69. Wow such pretty pictures. I love castles too!!

70. I am so envious. We in America have no castles. When I lived in Europe, it was so fun to wander about and discover things like castles and churches which had been around much, much longer than the US. For instance, the village I lived in had a church that was built around 1200.

On the other hand, America is not as densely populated, so we have vast areas that are set aside from development. I live in Washington state in the northwest corner of the country, and we have three national parks and thousands of square kilometers of forest. Every weekend, I pick a spot I have not explored, and I hike it, rain or shine. Heaven!

Have fun in your castle explorations!

71. Sofia says:

Luv luv these.

72. Elydia says:

Oh my goodness, this is why I love castles too. I lived in Paris for 3 months and Ireland as well as France have some magnificent ones. This one here is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

73. Tomorrow I will be visiting Kalmar, where there is a wonderful castle, very unusual because they have turned the entire place into an interactive museum for families. The castle has a long, long history. I took pictures of it last year, but they weren’t very good; this year I will try again. Thanks for liking the Fika blog!

74. Sunelly_Sims says:

Hello Malou,

I also love castles – they are surrounded with a special atmosphere. They could tell us thousand historical stories from times long gone – interesting and mysterious. If their ruins and walls could speak …

These are very beautiful pictures again!

Greetings,