One afternoon at the children’s animal farm

This goat found her smelling nicely ;-)

My husband and I try our best to raise our little girl with awareness and respect for the natural world. On weekends, we can be found taking strolls in the forest or some park.

Three Sundays ago, we went for an afternoon visit to the city’s animal farm for kids which is actually run by volunteers. It is a very simple farm with goats, sheeps, peacocks, rabbits, chicken, calf, horses, etc. The nice thing is that children can come up close and pet these animals. The other time that we were at this farm was 3 years ago, also in early spring. At that time, Francesca enjoyed picking up the goat’s poop balls. She knew better this time and just had a great time chasing the small goats and trying to lift them up. At some point, she managed to have one of them to stay by her. They forged a lovely and friendly bond.

It was a cloudy afternoon till the sun started to break through the clouds

The sun breaking through the clouds

Showing how to approach a little goat

Be sweet not naughty ;-)

Showing the little girl how to treat a little goat - gentle is the word.

Running after a little goat

our family

Goats

Guinea fowls

Sheeps

Proud to share her story on how she befriended this little goat

Chasing the goats

Meeting a rabbit

We are friends

Sheep

Peacock

Playground inside the animal farm

"Wip kip" is how this stationary ride is called

Goat

With the Guinea fowls

Together we will explore the world ;-)

178 Responses to One afternoon at the children’s animal farm

1. Seasweetie says:

GREAT pictures, as always, Malou! I love the ones of your daughter and her little goal buddy snuggled up together.

Absolute adorable photos … the first one specially – love goats too … it looks like he are whispering something in her ear or tickle her. Her face !!! Like the close up on the roster too.
    Fantastic photos – a day full of love.

Thanks a lot, Viveka. These goats eventually warmed up and became pretty cozy with her. She had so much fun she wanted to stay there forever. ;-)

3. Micha says:

I love how the goat sat next to her on the bench! Your daughter is so cute…

Lovely pictures Malou! :)

5. Dorothy says:

wonderful photos!! such great memories!

6. I remember those days with my two little girls…we have a similar place here
    on Long Island…amazing how some things cross cultures….

7. Fantastic photos. I loved taking my kids to zoos and am now taking my grandson.

8. These are ridiculously cute. How wonderful that children could get that close to cuddle up. We recently went to a working farm in Ireland with the boys to enjoy some of this summer weather Dublin’s been having, but we couldn’t get that close. Hope to post those pictures soon.

9. Anne-Marie says:

Hi Malou .. such beautifu photographs, you are a very happy family and I find it so enjoyable to read about your very interesting outings. The goats are so wise looking! Do you know what kind of chickens those are (with the blue on their heads)? They look very unusual. Your daughter is such a little sweetheart and those goats do love her! I like the photo of the two-toned goat, he/she looks very handsome/pretty. Another fun outing, I enjoyed that! A.M. :)

10. polly says:

cute shots of the kids.

11. goudreinet says:

Sorry Malou; but your “chickens” are actually guineafowl; or “parelhoenders” in Dutch…!
    Your daughter seems to be great friends with the small white goat. I remember same when I lived in The Netherlands with my daughter. May now set up a “kinderboerderij” here in Ireland some time (soon) as the animals are there already.

Ha, ha, ha! Thanks for clarifying that these chickens to me are actually guinea fowls. I am really so bad with plant and animal names. Anything with feathers are birds or chicken to me.

That’s wonderful if you will put up that “kinderboerderij”. It is a lot of work and commitment though so I hope that you will also have volunteers who can help. ;-)

12. Mark Routt says:

Great shots. Thanks for sharing!

13. Super Duper Cute! Cute! Cute! I love the eye contact. Oh, my!! Theadora

14. Deb Platt says:

I especially enjoyed the photos of your daughter with the little, white goat. :-)

We took our daughter to one of these places a number of times when she was little. It was called a “petting zoo” and was part of a much bigger zoo. When our daughter became a teenager, she volunteered to work at the petting zoo for two summers, and she took care of the animals. One of my favorite stories from her time there was that the petting zoo’s Vietmanese pig had its own pet, a rooster. Instead of staying with the other chickens, the rooster stayed with the pig in the pig’s home. The staff tried to move the rooster back with the other chickens, but the pig went on a grand adventure in search of it. When the pig found its rooster, the rooster followed the pig home. From that time on the staff allowed the two to make their home together.

15. Audrey says:

Love the photos, looks like a fun outing!

16. Sweet Princess Style says:

Thanks for sharing those moments. You’ve just made my day! :)

17. Great pictures, your little girl is just too cute

18. Lucy says:

It was only this morning my boyfriend’s mom and I were talking about how important it is to introduce children to farm animals. She runs a Montessori and all the kids were introduced to day only baby chicks today – I’m not sure who was more excited by that; me or them

That’s really nice that the kids were introduced to the baby chicks. My daughter’s class will also be going to the nature centrum next week for a lecture on baby ducks. Another exciting day again and I’m sure that she will come home with lots of new information. ;-)

19. Robyn Lee says:

Malou, these photos and your reflection on the day just brightened up mine soooo much! I feel like it was yesterday I brought my daughters to the petting zoo and I remember all the wonder and excitement of getting up close to the animals… and feeding them. Your little girl is simply precious and can see all the good energy coming through her in the photos. No doubt you and your husband are terrific parents. Thanks for sharing this special day. Really made me smile!

20. Well, these are just the quintessential spring photos.. babies and baby animals all frolicking in the sun!! Lovely :)

21. janinevasta says:

You captured that beautiful natural rapport children and baby animals share. It’s so important to let children meet animals when they are young. You’re doing a great job Malou!

22. Java Girl says:

Gorgeous pictures! I love the peacock one! After visiting this farm, did your daughter want a pet goat? :)

23. Sheila Hurst says:

You have such a lucky, happy, beautiful daughter! I love how she became friends with the goat. One of my earliest happy memories was visiting a farm and getting to hold a piglet. The piglet squealed and squirmed as much as I did.

24. Jane says:

That is neat that you have a place you can go where she can interact with the animals!

25. Dor says:

What a lovely family you are Malou, and your daughter grows more beautiful each day. The interaction with the little goats is so precious and you have caught her delight with your great photography and delighted all your viewers in the process.

Thanks a lot, Dor. Glad to know that these pictures brought delight to many. Simple times like these are what I value especially in the busy world we live in. ;-)

26. Sarah says:

Beautiful pictures. And what a wonderful family weekend outing!

27. Very cute! God bless :)

28. katehobbs says:

These are great memories being made here. I love your daughter and the kid goat. I also love the portrait of the adult goat too. A very strong eye, which actually appears to have a gentle quality about it.
    Lovely.

29. Really sweet pics, thanks.

30. Janine says:

You’re daughter is beautiful – makes me want to have one of my own. The goats are so cute and I think it’s great that you’re teaching her to be around animals.

31. You daughter and the kid goats are like poster children for spring and Easter. :-) So cute. Thanks for sharing.

32. hottabb says:

Bunnies! Goats! Peacocks! Chickens! Sigh…. How wonderful…

33. Your daughter beautiful and funny.
    I am glad to see her smile in the photo. amazing natural expression

34. zelmare says:

Hi Malou!
    Beautiful pictures, as always! :) The fowl with the blue heads, are actually guinea fowl, indigenous to, and very prolific in, South Africa (and southern Africa)
    Enjoy your day!
    Zelmare

35. scrivenspost says:

Lovely feel good post as usual:-) Thanks for sharing!

36. This is so typical Dutch Malou…I love it!!!! :D

37. Lovely pictures with equally fantastic captions..:-)

38. indiraadams says:

You have such an incredibly nice family. Your daughter is very fortunate that she gets to experience all these exciting activities with her mom and dad. As always, your pictures are beautiful.

39. Lovely pictures, they reminded me of my childhood when my dad used to take me to the farm in the country side with goats and lambs.

40. What a fun outing. Great photos.

41. lisslissliss says:

Thank you so much for liking my post and following my blog! :) I’ve really enjoyed reading some of your posts and I am now following! I loved this post, your daughter is absolutely adorable! I love the relationship between children and animals, it is so innocent and something very special! :)

42. Love your blog Malou, specially the holiday in Austria . Those raindrops are awesom.

43. Such beautiful shots…and a beautiful family!

I raised goats during the early-to-mid-70s, and my then-young sons found them wonderful…as did your daughter. That shot with the blonde goat is just precious!

44. oldmarion says:

I love the photo “Be sweet, not naughty!” Don’t young children love to try and tell animals what to do! When I was a headteacher I loved trips with classes to farms. Children seem totally entranced by the experience. Thank you for following my blog for the last few months. I enjoyed looking at yours too!

45. So many children never connect the dots between the food they eat and the natural world where the animals live. This city farm is a great way to show kids how animals look and act.

So true, Beth. An acquaintance of ours was actually telling her grandchildren that calamares are made in the factory and I was so shocked. Kids need to know about simple and basic things like the natural world. ;-)

46. Looks like Francesca has a new friend. Lovely photos. such fun.

47. Adorable photos! I love farm animals.

48. busymomhelp says:

The goats are cute. I keep goats and soon we’ll have baby goats, too, for my kids to play with.

49. Lily says:

Muddy knee!

50. Wonderful to witness your beautiful family. Heidi’s and my first child is due any day now. We have a deep love and respect for nature and intend to share this with our boy. Thank you for sharing… your photos and words are an inspiration.

~ J

51. Hannah says:

Hi, Malou – thanks for the follow! Your daughter is a cutie! Love the pics!

52. Justine Duppong says:

What a beautiful family! My nephews love to play with the goats at the zoo here–so glad the weather is getting nicer again so we can take them soon too!

53. vnesdoly says:

Hi Malou,
    What a gorgeous little girl you have! Love the photos with the animals. Reminds me of times with my grandkids, who also live near some goats. :)

54. Lynne Ayers says:

You got some nice shots of the kids.

55. I love the picture of her chasing after the goat! It’s great that she got that one to stay by her!

Thanks a lot, Alisa. She wanted to have a goat by her right away but they won’t stay so she ended up chasing them. In the end, one was pretty sweet and simply happy to stay by her. ;-)

56. Philo•fancy says:

thanks for following :) your daughter is precious. love your photos

57. Adorable pictures, i specially like the first one. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

58. Jeff Katzer says:

Thanks for the “like” and I hope you enjoy the blog.

59. Ferrara says:

Lovely photos!! Your daughter is beautiful, the photos with her and her little white goat friend are adorable!

60. thegrubbyhen says:

Your photos are beautiful!

61. sharbori says:

hi, lovely pics and great angles. thank you for liking my blog. do visit again.

62. calskin says:

Wow, you’re hardcore with the pictures. I like it. Looks like you’ve had some great trips.

63. I just love your photographs.Thanks for sharing.

64. Yinzerella says:

I want a goat. I think they’re such cool animals.

Sorry that I ate them.

Ha, ha, ha! When we were in Tuscany, we could by goat meat on sticks for the bbq. My daughter will not be very pleased to know that this little friend of hers is perfect for bbq. ;-)

65. Louis says:

Little girls and animals! What a combination! This is a collection you will cherish for many years to come.

66. karencooking says:

This looks like a wonderful day with the little animal friends!

67. antarabesque says:

So adorable! Lovely pictures, thank you for sharing.

68. Beautiful photos as always. I love goats and wish I had a little barn to keep a few myself but I don’t think the neighbors would appreciate it. I’ve always been an animal lover & made sure my daughter was exposed to the early. I think it’s great when they learn to interact with nature and see that it’s a part of our world. It’s so great that you expose your daughter to so much nature and great experiences.

Thanks a lot, Diane. Indeed it is great to expose the kids to nature and animals so that they will grow with appreciation to everything that is around them. With animals they learn gentleness and if they keep one, they learn responsibility. ;-)

69. JRJ2015 says:

adorable photos

70. lucindalines says:

Wow! I love your photos, and I bet you had such a wonderful time. Makes me want to hit my brother-in-law’s place to see the little calves. No farms around with all of that wonderful stuff right now.

71. The Moon of My Life says:

Cute pictures =) Your daughter looks like a very sweet girl. I wanted to thank you for following my blog, you’re my first follower !

72. Great photos. Thanks for following my blog.

Cheers!

73. jenna says:

your daughter is adorable!!

74. J says:

Lovely pictures, Malou! Thanks for sharing with us. It is a priceless memory of the best days of life. The captions are too good. In fact, they are the ones that give life to these pictures. Francesca is going to love you just for this picture story, when she grows up. It is little things like these that make life beautiful.

75. I took my kids to Knott’s Berry Farm and to the animal farm located inside. A goat ate my all day pass. Pictures reminded me of it :)

76. Such precious pictures of your little girl! Thanks for visiting my blog, too. I’m your newest follower!
    Beth

77. run4joy59 says:

Oh my goodness, what adorable pictures!!! Now you’ve made me want to get some new pets…

78. Pat says:

Great shots! Looks like your little girl found a playmate.

79. Malou, thank you very kindly for following my blog and liking my poem-trees. It’s a treat to discover *your* blog that way and see these delightful photos of your family outing! I look forward to exploring your other posts and learning more about what you mean by “Going Dutch.” Cheers!

80. I really enjoyed your post about the animals. My sister raises Nigerian Dwarf Goats just like some in your photos. They are the sweetest creatures. Your rooster shot is divine. Cheers!!

81. schietree says:

Your little girl looks like she is having a wonderful time!
    I’ve tweeted a link here, just because of the expression on some of the goats, it really made me smile.

82. What wonderful photos! It looks like that little white goat took quite a liking to your daughter! It seemed so tame and docile. Adorable!

83. Purely.. Kay says:

It’s always great to see your family :). And these photos are absolutely wonderful. Each shot is just fun and the animal farm seems like fun too :)

84. Looks like a wonderful afternoon and your daughter is adorable

85. jenkakio says:

Adorable!!!! I don’t know who’s cuter, your little one or the goats. I’ve always wanted a goat as a pet, but I don’t think the neighborhood would like that. LOL I figured if we have roosters and chickens walking up and down our streets, adding a goat wouldn’t hurt, right?

86. Wonderful blog and great pictures :)

87. Dave says:

Oh, Malou, that photograph of your daughter in the country, the one of her walking away from the camera. I love it!

88. christymoyer says:

So adorable Malou! You have one beautiful family and I look forward to following your adventures!

Thanks for following my adventures! Have a most wonderful weekend!

89. Antara says:

Beautiful Pictures and a truly memorable visit it must have been for your daughter.Thanks for visiting my blog.

90. lucylox says:

You take such amazing photos of your beautiful daughter

91. that shot of the peacock is striking!

92. Madhu says:

Seems like your pretty little daughter enjoyed every minute :-)

93. Absolutely adorable!!

94. I loved petting zoos when I was growing up. They were so much more fun and educational than regular zoos. It’s nice to see that your little girl can experience this. What fun! Glad to hear that picking up poop balls was not on her list of things to do this time around!
    Ashley

95. pixilated2 says:

Malou, your daughter is beautiful, and those littlest goats are adorable! What a fun time you had. :)
    Thanks for visiting, and following me today! ~ Lynda