The little girl’s second foray into the flower fields (Spring 2009)

Among red tulips

It used to be that the years went by without us noticing. Spring year after year would seem the same. We hardly noticed the passing of time and the difference in each passing year. All that changed with Francesca as since her birth, she became the benchmark and timescale for everything in our lives.

Certainly all parents will agree with me that children become the focal point of our lives, the beacon of hope on those dreary days, the source of strength when the hurdle seems too much and the source of laughter that cheers us up especially on those times that we can hardly summon a smile.

On this post you will see how much a year means in the life of a child. From the 6-month old baby in the previous post, she was 1.5 years in these pictures. This time, she was running through the flower fields and plucking the odd flowers out.

We spent the Easter weekend with my parents-in-law in Dronten where some of the big tracks of flower fields can be found. There were tulip and hyacinth fields and all were very exciting for our little girl.

Fields of blooms

I got the odd one out!

Among pink hyancinths

Francesca with opa and oma

Francesca and oma

our family

Francesca and opa

Francesca and me

Red tulips

51 Responses to The little girl’s second foray into the flower fields (Spring 2009)

1. beatrix mana says:

I am a mother of 6 children and have 6 grandchildren. I enjoy all of them. And enloy their childhood,they only have one.I love your blog

2. sillyliss says:

I have never honestly wanted to visit someplace as much as I want to see the place in your photographs. It looks, just…amazing.

3. Thandiwe says:

These are wonderful! They remind me of the pacific northwest and the fields of daffodils and tulips near my grandparents’ home in Bellingham, Washington. Thanks for the reminder to delight in the glories of springtime!

4. Boy is t that the truth about children! They do grow so fast, and we do benchmark the passing of time by their growth. Very well said, and beautiful pictures.

5. newsferret says:

This reminds me of the 1960s when we lived in Switzerland where I worked and every year our pilgrimage to Amsterdam to go see the spring tulips, eat broodjes van Kootje, enjoy the uitschmyters and drink Oranjeboom beer.

6. wvfarm2u says:

on her own feet this time!

7. manxtim says:

Great images of what must have been a great day

8. Robyn Lee says:

Such stunning images. Malou you look like one of the beautiful flowers – and your little girl as well. Treasure the memories!

The fields of flowers amaze me!

10. sf4images says:

Beautiful pictures!

11. thirdeyemom says:

Beautiful post and I love the tulips! I adore spring and especially the flowers. I am hoping my children will come to love and appreciate the changing seasons as much as me.

Beautiful family, beautiful photos!

13. You have such a lovely record of your little girl…maybe you could make a book out of your blog/pictures sometime for when she’s older?

14. mandala56 says:

That smell must have been heavenly!

So lovely to take part in your families … days out among flowers and bugs.
    The photo “our family” is for me the fare best – mostly because of your red top. Stunning photo of you 3, some fields of tulips … she are very fascinated by the flowers. The second photo with her really good. You have any of your family in Holland – or are you on “our own” ??

16. So sweet. So lovely. Such a beautiful way to brighten the day.

17. norinep says:

These are lovely photos. The little girl is so cute! Good job!

18. One year is an incredible time for change at a young age… It’s so delightful to see them grow and change.. it definitely slows down but at 18 and 20 it hasn’t slowed down yet!

19. Beautiful pictures. Your words make me think about how children help us measure our lives in ways we might otherwise miss. Nice thought. Thanks.

20. Sanjhineet says:

ahaa what a bloom and little cute girl, God bless to her.

I believe that we all miss such free space around us in the cities…..

21. ShimonZ says:

It is really amazing to see these great expanses of beautiful flowers. A pleasure for the eyes.

22. Downright ADORABLE! Thank you so much for sharing these lovely photographs with us :)

23. debbrunson says:

Simply cannot wrap my head or my eyes around fields and fields of tulips… absolutely stunning capture of an incredible day :)

24. anaslense says:

What a lovely place! Amazing pictures and the kids are so cute! Thanks for sharing with us! :)

25. zacharybyrd says:

Stunning captures.

26. ayoliag says:

Wow! Oh so surreal! Absolutely lovely!

27. Shez says:

Francesca is so precious. Just an adorable child. You have captured her personality well. The photos are awesome. We are most lucky to live close to some amazing huge field of never ending rows of tulips as well. Such a colorful flower with so many shapes, I love them all.

28. How amazing! Why did you leave out the other colors in the color wheel? Just joking! Your photographs of the red tulips are so amazing!

29. omg…its like heaven on earth. i love flowers!

30. kahyehm says:

so cute! the flowers are beautiful! this are great moments you captured. :)

31. musrehzeymis says:

your pictures are beautiful

32. Jane says:

children definitely do make us aware of the preciousness of each moment. Being aware and mindful is a great gift and they help us to use this gift to maximum advantage. Beautiful little girl and beautiful tulips

with love light and JOY

33. sofichick says:

Malou, these are gorgeous! It brought me back to the time I went to French Canada and there seemed to be tulips all around me…Beautiful flowers and beautiful family.

34. Olivia Mair says:

Wow such beautiful photos Malou! Wish I was there!

35. polly says:

so beautiful and sure sweet shots.

36. Such a gorgeous series of endearing photos, Malou!

37. Wow those flowers are gorgeous! What a way to spend a childhood…

38. teddytom4u says:

talk about flower power! wow!!!!
    doucette

39. Anissa Mathias says:

Those are beautiful fields of flowers. You daughter is precious.

40. These pictures are beautiful!

41. snydeen says:

What a beautiful little girl amongst a field of beautiful tulips! I visited the Netherlands when I was stationed in Germany and while it was still winter (late March I think) and just a long weekend, I absolutely loved it. I would love to go back again. Have you ever read any of Betty Neels novels? They’re pretty dated, but very sweet Harlequin romances mostly set in Holland with Dutch doctors and the English nurses they fall in love with and marry. The cool part is her description of the various cities and towns.

Yes, I used to read Betty Neels when I was in college and indeed the setting was here in Holland. I never thought that I would be living here. ;-)

You should come back around this time (or better yet, 2 weeks from now when the tulip fields are really this pretty).

42. Alli says:

Gorgeous photos. Tulips are my absolute favorite flowers!

43. Angela Trumble says:

Look like heaven, Malou. Gorgeous pics of your daughter-precious.
    Thank you, for stopping by my blog! :)

44. Michi says:

Your little girl is absolutely darling!! Every little girl should grow up being able to peacefully toddle around in a beautiful field of flowers. She’s going to have such beautiful childhood memories. :)

45. Fergiemoto says:

I would love to be surrounded by all those beautiful tulips!

46. Team Oyeniyi says:

What wonderful photos! I would love to see those fields in real life. Your daughter looks stunning in the midst of nature’s beauty.

You are a lovely family!

47. puppy1952 says:

What lovely pictures. The grandparents clearly adore the little girl.

48. I love how she smells the flowers and picks them up and is so fascinated by them!

49. It must be magical being in a sea of flowers like that. I can’t wait.