My little girl’s third foray into the flower fields (Spring 2010)

Another spring, another foray into the flower fields. Unfortunately, this was one weekend when the weather was not on our side. It has been raining for days so the tulip fields were very muddy. Still, we were not dissuaded to get our feet into the ground and have this photo shoot.

As I am going through my posts this week, it is a funny realization that I had been unintentionally documenting my little girl’s development through the years through these springtime pictures. Before her, I have been going to the flower fields and to Keukenhof almost on a yearly basis but hardly realizing what is different year after year.

Honestly, these forays into the flower fields are our family’s cheapest form of entertainment in spring as getting to these fields does not cost a single cent.

125 Responses to My little girl’s third foray into the flower fields (Spring 2010)

1. Wow! Simply magical and heavenly…………..

2. wvfarm2u says:

thank you again and again for sharing it all with us

Quite a beautiful place to visit! Nice pictures Malou! :)

4. adamontheweb says:

If there were like button for each pictures, I would hit each of them.

5. Cathy says:

Gorgeous pictures Malou!

6. everytime I see photos of the tulips I think ” I need to see this for myself” – I really have to get on this ! (Your daughter is soo cute)

You should really make it a goal to see these fields in full bloom one spring day. I’m sure that it will be an experience of a lifetime. ;-)

7. Thandiwe says:

I’m hoping that there is a fourth and fifth excursion as well! Thanks for sharing these. They brighten my day!

8. Tell me now- did you plan those red jackets? Stunning fields and photos. I lived near Skagit Valley WA and we had our share of tulips but nothing what-so-ever in comparison. Approx what week was this? We just may have to hop on a train for a weekend. wendy

The red jacket was purely coincidental, Wendy. But then, there will always be fields of red tulips. ;-)

This scenery of tulips in full bloom is normally around the last week of April to the first week of May.

9. Robyn Lee says:

Oh wow Malou, these keep getting better and better! We need to have them in an exhibit or museum somewhere — just stunning!

Thanks a lot, Robyn. I’m thinking of putting up a sort of coffee table book with the pictures I’ve taken…maybe one of these days.

10. contadinak says:

Oh what an opportunity you have living there – this is so beautiful! Malou, would you mind if I reposted with a link to your blog? I would like to share some of these photos with some of my peeps. Let me know.

11. Michi says:

How sweet!! I love the picture of you two in the field of white tulips – you look beautiful, and your daughter looks so happy! You have a great family tradition going here. :)

12. Beedie says:

Truly Magnificent!

13. Theadora says:

Dear Malou, I’ve been enjoying your “field” series! The dramatic clouds are beauties. And so are the jackets! I love the second shot. The red jacket / red petals photographs (numbers six and seven) are also lovely. Fabulous (and vibrant!) documentary! Theadora

Thanks a lot, Theadora. You’re not so far away, can take the Thalys to experience these forays into the tulip fields of Holland. ;-)

14. weedimageoftheday says:

Your daughter’s personality seems to be blooming more with each Spring! I hope you do this every year.

15. Northern Narratives says:

Truly a beautiful place.

16. Gorgeous flowers, gorgeous daughter. Thank you for sharing the beauty

17. Malou, thanks for brightening everyone’s day. I’ve enjoyed your blog so much & love your thoughtful posts so much that I’ve passed along the Sunshine Award to you. Enjoy & pass it along to your favorites.

18. polly says:

beautiful tulips and a cute little girl. Waiting for the next installment.

19. Could there be anything more beautiful?? of course not! Thanks for sharing. Are these fields for the cut flower industry?

These fields are for the bulb industry. The bulbs will be harvested in summer and then packed and exported all over the world. ;-)

20. snydeen says:

Beautiful! I’m glad you went, weather notwithstanding.

Thanks a lot, Snydeen. If we will always wait for the right weather and all the right boundary conditions, we would have missed out on this wonderful sight. These flowers will be cut off (at the height of their blooming condition) and then there will be none to see except the greens. ;-)

21. Stunning. Really great to see the flower fields (with child)

You have convinced me – we are going to Amsterdam next spring .. *smile Gorgeous photo and that wee girl is so adorable. I say that every time. My favorite today is the close up on the white tulip. Like white flowers.

23. rapideyemvmt says:

i am just blown away – what magic to be standing amongst seemingly endless flowers.

24. It is fun watching her development over the years–she’s a beautiful child. It also makes me want to go to the Netherlands in the spring!

You should come and visit the Netherlands in spring. It is simply a must-see place with its fields and fields of tulips in full bloom. ;-)

25. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful place with the rest of the world. These photos are stunning.

26. siskinbob says:

Wow, Wow and Wow !!!

Fabulous photographs. Cute girl. Can you imagine the awe to see those colours at your daughters eye level. Sensory overload.

Thanks for sharing.

27. Sweet Princess Style says:

It’s adorable! :)

28. Cee Neuner says:

I have so enjoyed these series of photos!! Thanks for sharing!

29. I would love to some day see these fields in person! Lovely photos to capture it for us!

30. These fields are so amazing. Such beautiful colours!

31. I enjoy your beautiful photos, but everytime I come to your blog, my computer freezes up because of the amount of photos to download. That first photo of her in the white tulips would look extra special if you cropped out the top colors and only had the white tulips–not trying to tell you how to do your photos by any means–just a thought.

What do they do with all those tulips? Just let the flowers die and the bulbs store up energy for the next season? What a beautiful way to spend the day!

32. Mariel says:

Really beautiful fields! I wish I lived near one. And your little girl is such a cutie pie. :)

33. Angeline M says:

Just gorgeous photos!

34. Hi Malou, I was living in Den Haag for 2 years from 2008 to 2010 and truly loved the tulip fields. Your photos brought back good memories and even the Dutch weather could not mask the beauty of the tulips and your little girl :)

Oh, how nice to know that you lived in Den Haag! That was also the first place where I lived when I came here. Stayed there for 4 years and it is still my favorite city. ;-)

35. Lynn Lusty says:

You must really enjoy these visits – surrounded with beauty; the flowers and your gorgeous daughter! What a treat.

36. Malou – the picture of your daughter smelling the red tulips is priceless! I pinned it. I hope you don’t mind……….you really can’t see her face and it is beautiful!

37. essentjewels says:

Her red coat matches the red flowers perfectly, what kind of flowers are they?

38. Beautiful pictures… tulips and daffodils ‘vie’ for second… my very favorite flowers are Gerbera daisies (Mama’s favorite!)

May I reblog this post, Malou?

Veronica Marie

39. soumyav says:

awesome!! superb!! iam at loss of words.. the pictures are really great..and so is ur little one…

40. soumyav says:

http://wp.me/p1Zs7k-85 ..check on this for some lines by me on ur post…

41. msuzanneb says:

Very Beautiful! Thank you for sharing, http://www.godisiam.net

42. Hey Malou —

Thanks so much for liking my post. I love, love, love your “our family” photo, and very much enjoyed the trip down memory lane. We have similar pictures of our first born growing up alongside a basketball.

So pleased to “meet” ya.

:>

43. Sir Ian says:

Loved it (: Greetings from belgium!

44. newbiepics says:

Wow this looks magical :) awesome pics!

45. arzea says:

Wow! I love these photos! Your daughter is precious!

46. aprilsfestivals says:

Beautiful pictures! Such endless beauty. Your daughter looks adorable amongst all those flowers!

47. Malou thank you for stopping by my blog. My jaw dropped while gazing at the photos in this post. Not only are the flowers beautiful but so your little girl. You have photographed what appears to me as a little bit of heaven! Thanks for sharing…

48. I agree with all of the above! Your daughter is Adorable! I love your pictures also. What camera do you use?

I love tulips. Especially white ones. I don’t know why I’m so attracted to white tulips, maybe they remind me of things pure and fresh.

Thanks for stopping by my blogazine!

Cheers!

49. P. Graham says:

These fields are absolutely gorgeous! I wish there was a place like this in NYC! I know you’ve probably gotten this questions a lot, but where is this??!

50. Wow! that looks like a magical place!
    i

51. Sorry I pushed the post button by mistake
    Thank you for sharing these amazing pictures!
    It is a magical place and your daughter is so cute
    I love your close up pictures of the flowers

52. Those flowers are stunning! Gorgeous pictures and your daughter is so adorable!

53. shalady says:

wow. you are a fantastic photographer. your daughter is gorgeous and those flowers! Love your posts. Thanks for following me all the way on the otherside of the world. How fun to think you over there amonst the tulips would be sharing with me here in the humid Appalachians. Hillbilly and Holland! What a combo.

54. jelillie says:

What amazing beauty you live in! I can’t wait to come and see it for myself!

55. ladyfi says:

Wow – these shots are just amazing! So beautiful.

56. What a treasure of keepsake memories. A wonderful idea for all mothers to start when their babies are young.
    Joy

57. Jane says:

Your pictures are so bright and cheerful :) Have a good day!

58. Jenevieve says:

Stunning photos! Tulips are my favorite flower, and I can’t get enough. You have an adorable daughter, too :)

59. The Boy! says:

I must say, the photo of the red jacket and red tulips is my favorite.
    One thing is for sure, none of you have pollen problems :)

60. Pingback: The Bloom Before the Berry | contadina k

61. I can not explain how beautiful those fields of tulips are. Your pictures of flowers defiantly trump my spring snapshots. Thank you for sharing such great beauty.

@MyLifeNTheHills

62. Love your work…I just mentioned you in my blog!

63. Purely.. Kay says:

The field of flowers… I absolutely love this. I can look at these photos all day and still feel inspired by them. Simply beautiful

64. Marianne says:

Stunning photos! I love Tulips, the same goes for my Swedish countrymen. I think we buy most tulips in the world, :). Thank you for following my blog, yours is amazing!

65. Pingback: My Delayed “Commenter Award” – sweatyshirt’s version « mysweatyshirt

66. Monica says:

Holy cow! I don’t know which is more amazing – red coats in white fields, red coats against red flowers — it’s all so gorgeous.

67. What a lovely idea to document your daughter growing up through progressive flower field photos each Spring! I cannot get over the endless fields of tulips. Stunning!!!

68. Thanks for following my blog. Your photos in the tulip fields are gorgeous as is your little girl. You will surely treasure those photos forever. And it is neat to see how much she has grown from year to year. Thanks again for the follow…

69. I love your pictures! Holland always sends Canadian Parliament a lot of Tulips every year. I look forward to seeing the Dutch flowers. I just wrote a small blog about cooking as a second generation Dutch immigrant, http://robynlearnstocook.com/2012/04/04/stone-soup-with-smoky-broth/

70. HikingPhotog says:

I really like the shot of the purple/pink flower amid a sea of yellow flowers. Great composition and contrast of vibrant colors.

71. what an incredible experience! I love these pictures. It must be a magical place.

72. Reblogged this on Veronica The Pajama Thief and commented:
    Absolutely stunning photographs! Beautiful flowers and such an adorable little girl! <3

73. The Jagged Man says:

When I lost my job in 08 after the industry I was working in collapsed, one among many, I had to do something so I started working as a handy man. One lady I hired out to had me plant tulip bulbs around beautiful brick pathway. After they came up and blossomed I was mesmerized and they have become one of my favorites….. after Daffodils and any type of wildflower that is! The pictures of tulips on my blog are of those same flowers I planted.
    Thanks for sharing and stopping by my place and visiting.

74. those tulips are beautiful. Always loved them…they are an often seen background in Indian movie songs where the couples prance around!!

75. lily2u1 says:

So beautiful, daughter and flowers both. No contest which is the most beautiful, though! You seem like such a loving mother. She is a lucky little girl.
    Thank you so much, as always, for sharing. ~ Lily

76. poojycat says:

I love your pictures! magical colours as well!!! ;)

77. vgag says:

She is indeed so cute and so inquiring…The colours of the tulips are so beautiful and intense.

78. First I want to thank you Malou to share such colourful photos. In all photos one can get the uniformity in between the subject and the text or back ground, I mean the sweetness.
    You are lucky and nourished by such a gift of god, care of her.

79. puppy1952 says:

What a lovely way to document your little girl’s growth!

80. Billie Jean says:

I love the pictures and your girl is so beautiful!

81. fiztrainer says:

She so BEAUTIFUL. How amazing to have this by your HOME!! Gosh, that is stunning. :D

82. Madhu says:

How wonderful to be amidst all those beautiful flowers!

83. The fields of white look like snow to me.

84. My goodness Malou! I pinned a picture of your daughter smelling red tulips nearly 2 years ago but in the last week it has gotten more likes and pins than it has the entire time up to now!!

Thank you, Kelli. Apologies for not replying sooner as I am just so busy these days. No time to blog lately. How is winter at your side of the world? While I hear of the severe snow storms stateside, winter is very mild here in Holland. No freezing temps yet. My little girl is getting impatient as to when snow will come our way. Spring is already making a heads up because of the no freeze temps. Can hardly wait for our annual foray into the tulip fields.

• It has been pinned and pinned and pinned some more lately! It’s a very popular picture! It’s been pinned 55 times and liked 28 on this one but on the other one – almost 200 times – it’s the same picture just on another of my boards. See it here: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/180144053814991063/ The weather here in Oklahoma is strange – it was 70 F yesterday and only 30 F today – It snowed in December but none in January!! Crazy weather here. So glad to hear from you!