My little girl’s fourth foray into the flower fields (Spring 2011)

Ask a typical Dutchman if he/she have pictures in the flower fields and you will get that bewildered look. It is also against their “principle” to go to Keukenhof which they say is just meant for tourists.

My husband never really cared about the flower fields nor ever been to Keukenhof before we met. It was like, “Why would I go to Keukenhof or why would I have my pictures taken in the midst of the flower fields?”. Being in the midst of flower fields or standing in front of the windmills are simply the most uncool things to the Dutch, especially the younger generations. They prefer to travel abroad and have their pictures taken in the most exotic locations. Don’t get me wrong there. I was the same, wondering when I was still in the Philippines and my husband (then still the boyfriend) wanted to have our pictures in the middle of rice fields or his pictures on top of the jeepney or among coconut trees.

Human nature I should say… We take for granted those things or places which are familiar and ordinary and we give more importance to those which we do not have or are unusual.

These days, we appreciate what is within reach, what is right before our very eyes. Our daughter provides us with a different perspective in looking at things through her young eyes. She shows appreciation and enthusiasm in everything around her. We hope that she will continue appreciating nature and its beauty and the many simple things in life.

These pictures were taken last year in the area around Zeewolde. We were on our way home after spending a lovely weekend with my parents-in-law in Dronten when we took a different road (a secondary road as opposed to the usual highway that we take) and saw these fields of tulips. It was already late in the afternoon but with the nice weather, we were seduced to have this photo session with our little girl.

Our family

Afternoon sun

Father and daughter playing the statue game

Pink tulips

Papa's girl

Among the red tulips

Me and my little girl

Among the white tulips

Playful pose

I got the odd one out!

Playful pose

Tulip fields

My little girl and me

Our family

Hurrah!

White tulips in the afternoon sun

Can I pick some flowers????

Let's hide from Mama!!!

The afternoon sun

White tulips

The apple did not fall off far from the tree -- A picture of us taken by Francesca

Setting sun

Mama, can you see me????

Our family

118 Responses to My little girl’s fourth foray into the flower fields (Spring 2011)

1. babyyums says:

Wow what BEAUTIFUL photos and look at all the rows and rows and rows of tulips I <3 that. I wish there was a place like that here. It looks like so much fun just to be with so many pretty colours. Great spot for family photos! I have a almost 4 year old son & a 2 year old son :)

Thanks a lot. We’re quite lucky that this place is within easy reach from us and costs us nothing too.

Must be fun having 2 boys. ;-)

• babyyums says:

It’s a handful at time having 2 boys only 17 months apart keeps me on my toes!!! that’s for sure. I would not have it any other way :) it would be heven to have a spot like that here!!

2. catiestewart says:

Lovely, uplifting images – little girl so sweet …

3. FeyGirl says:

I honestly don’t know *how* you choose what to frame in your home…. :)

4. mumchic says:

Brilliant brilliant photography and gorgeous subjects ! Love your little one’s sunglasses , so cute :)

5. ladyfi says:

Sigh – so very very beautiful!

6. Oh the baby has grown! She’s gorgeous! Beautiful tulip fields.

Time flies, Sharon. Can’t wait to do the spring photoshoot again. ;-)

• I can’t wait for it too! Oh I hope to one day see for myself these lovely fields of colours..Have a great long weekend with your beautiful family Malou! Sharon

Have fun with Easter too, Sharon. Finland is not that far so you can always fly to Amsterdam. ;-)

• Hehe…you know I might do just that and pop by to say hello! :D I’ve always only stopped by the Airport – and I was already impressed – love the wooden clogs, windmill porcelains (I’m such a typical tourist!).

7. newsferret says:

Now that is a problem – who/what is the more beautiful? the girl or the flora. OK I am a naturalist and the girly, a creation of nature, wins hands down.

A little hint, make your blogs shorter you will get more reads.

8. wvfarm2u says:

I very much understand your comment that he doesn’t think to go to the tulip fields,,,same concept that it took me until 2 weeks ago to go to the Mark Twain House to visit, on a road trip, when I used to live within 3 miles for 12 years!!!

9. Mary says:

Malou, I love looking at the beautiful tulips everytime you post more photos! and I totally agree that people do not appreciate what is in their own backyard. Lately, my family has tried to make an effort to be a “tourist” in our hometown. We have lots of beauty right here and it is funny how we don’t always take time to enjoy it.

We now do a lot of local sightseeing. In spring, I do not like to go outside the Netherlands for holiday because there is just so much to see in this country anyway. ;-)

10. adamontheweb says:

Malou, as you are posting this in series, It seems like the little girl is growing right in front of my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, I always enjoy seeing your photos! And acres upon acres of flowers… You are blessed. :)

12. Lauren's Plate says:

What a beautiful visual story. I’m putting this on my bucket list.

13. rumpydog says:

What a wonderful way to mark the growth of your daughter!

14. BeezusKiddo says:

The flower fields are beautiful, and those photos are priceless!

15. So true!
    It is human nature… We take for granted those things or places which are familiar and ordinary and we give more importance to those which we do not have or are unusual.
    Truly enjoyed all the photos!

Thanks a lot, Jenny. When I was still in the Philippines, I had my sights on places far and away. Now I wish I invested more time to really explore the country. ;-)

16. "Occam Blade" says:

Nicely done. Reminds me of when our daughters were younger and caught-up in pumpkin patches, apple picking and strawberry picking with Nana. When I took my family to the Philippines for the first time, it was expected to have our photos taken amongst the local sights, so i suppose the Dutch’s sentiments to their iconic tulips and windmills are not dissimilar from a Filipino’s “yawn” to Manila Bay, the Quiapo Church, Mt. Mayon etc. etc.

I used to wonder why my husband also loves the trips to the wet markets in the Philippines. He would even have his pictures taken with the pig heads and all the gory stuffs we have in our markets there. ;-)

17. Beautiful images. I enjoyed each and everyone of them..

18. Nice perspective, beautiful photos/family.

I think you’re very right though, I certainly wouldn’t go taking pictures at a corn field or something . . . although, now I might.

You’ll never know how beautiful those corn fields will look like in the picture… those corn plants swaying in the gentle breeze bathe by the flickering glow of the afternoon sun. ;-)

19. puppy1952 says:

Wow she is quite grown up here and clearly enjoying the flowers. They are absolutely stunning. I am glad that Papa now agrees to be photographed among the beautiful blooms.

20. I definitely needed this today, we’ve had a snowstorm, pretty.. but I’d much rather see tulips:) I think it’s so interesting to see the size of those bulbs.. larger than your daughter’s hands:)

Winter seems to linger out there, Smidge. I hope your spring comes soon.

I guess the bulbs are huge judging from the size of these tulip blooms. My little girl enjoyed playing hide and seek among them because they were quite gigantic blooms in her eyes. ;-)

21. When I lived on the Atlantic coast and also in the Rockies, it was the same thing. Many people would say they moved to the sea or the mountains to see them, then because they were right there, didn’t explore them, thinking, “Next week, next month…” I’ve made a conscious effort to explore each place we’ve lived. Mostly, for my son, as moving often when he was little was hard on him (and me), until we turned it into Adventures and went out to explore all the wonderful things we could find, pretending we were travel writers.

The photo where your little girl found the odd one out tulip is precious! What an expression! Also love the light-filled flower photos too. You have a terrific eye!

Pretending to be travel writers — that’s wonderful! Oftentimes, we think we have to go far to see wonderful places when we have great ones within reach. ;-)

22. Same here – mountains, salt water, who needs it! Give me Africa any day (did I mention I’m part Dutch?) Sweet pictures of your family. There are lots of tulip fields in our state and we visit occasionally, but “it’s where all the tourists go.” And, all that said, we will probably go camping this weekend at the beach!

Good to know about your Dutch heritage, Cheryl. That would be nice to go camping at the beach. Last year in the South of France, we wanted to camp at the beach. Unfortunately, the camp site was just too crowded so we settled for another area which was beside a river. My husband and daughter are such big beach bums. ;-)

23. mandala56 says:

So tell us… do the farmers really not mind you going in the fields and sometimes picking a flower or two? I realize they are growing them for the bulbs… but I want to know what’s allowed when I go next year! Lovely photos, of course, and I don’t think your posts are too long at all. Your family is a pleasure to see and the more pictures of Holland, the better.

24. Thandiwe says:

These have been such a delight to see. Thanks so much for sharing them. You capture both the beauty of the flowers themselves and the delight of your daughter (and you and your husband) in being able to enjoy them. blessings this spring time!

25. lizascooking says:

Beautiful story and pictures…you captured the joy and happiness in your photos!!!

26. Looks like the weather warmed up from the 2nd trip! So beautiful, both the flowers and your little one!

27. Thanks for sharing Malou – what a wonderful world!!!

28. June says:

Thank you for not taking them for granted! Truly amazing picx and your daughter is a joy!

How true it is that we often miss or take for granted the things that are close to home while seeking out the interesting and exotic in faraway places. It must be human nature.

I was just telling my husband that people from far and away would spend lots of money to be here and have these pictures among the tulips while the Dutch would spend lots of money to be in exotic places with coconut trees and beaches. ;-)

30. All of your photos are so beautiful! I love seeing all of the little details that you show. My husband and I both have Dutch heritage so it is very exciting to learn more through your blog. I’m looking forward to your posts – and thank you for following my blog. :)

It is nice to know of you and your husband’s Dutch heritage and to be able to impart a bit of this country the way I see it. ;-)

31. Your photos are all so pretty, with the gorgeous flowers and your beautiful daughter. Wow. And I think you’re right – after living with something for a while, no matter how spectacular, it’s easy to become complacent and no longer to see so easily the interest or beauty in it.

Thanks a lot. I don’t want to take for granted any thing wonderful and beautiful. Every spring is still magical to me after many years here. ;-)

32. Lovely pics as always :).
    ‘We take for granted those things or places which are familiar and ordinary and we give more importance to those which we do not have or are unusual.’ Your post reminded me of my time in U.A.E. where we used to consider hiking and climbing the mountains as a ‘thing’ for tourists.
    But I do always appreciate nature and enjoyed the simplicity of living near the mountains and goats :)

33. A Nature Mom says:

I think it’s important to do the things nearby that are considered touristy. There’s a reason they are popular with tourists – historical interest, unique geologic feature, beautiful flowers that aren’t found in such abundance in other parts of the world, etc. Being from California, I’m always shocked at how many Californians have never been to Yosemite. It’s taken for granted. Yet people come from all over the world to see the astounding beauty. Local attraction I haven’t visited? Alcatraz – I can’t wait to go!

34. Beautiful pictures…it makes me want to visit!

Stunning as always and the little princess adorable as cupcake. Can see what a wonderful weather, must me in April because the tulips blooms. You are a lovely looking small family and the little girl is so comfortable infront of the camera. Flowers are what they are, beautiful and breathtaking in all their plenty. Favorite top one.

36. Amy says:

Those fields are ridiculously gorgeous! Such amazing photos and you have such a beautiful family. :)

37. Claire says:

It looks like she had a bunch of fun :) I’ve never seen anything quite like that – what a beautiful place!

38. Purely.. Kay says:

Awwww.. isn’t she just adorable. Your daughter definitely looks happy and I would be too. I just love those flowers :)

39. You have a beautiful family! Amazing photos!!

40. desigual4fun says:

Last year I also took some pictures in the tulip fields close to Lisse, but they are not even close to the beauty of your pictures! :) And your daughter is adorable!

41. beingjulz says:

Extraordinary pictures! Makes the tulip festival we have in Oregon seem little. :-) But then again, you are in Holland.
    I know you received a nomination yesterday – didn’t notice till I finished my post today – but thought I would let you know that I’ve included you on my versatile blogger list – http://beingjulz.com/2012/04/05/thank-you-for-the-versatile-blogger-award/
    Your blog is evidently well liked… :-)

42. lyonsroarforgod says:

The flowers make it seem like a fairy wonderland that just belongs to the three of you! What a wonderful day, wonderful memories. :)

43. whitt88 says:

Ingenious. Delightful.

44. snapictures says:

wow.beautiful pictures..i’ll be there one day..:)

45. sialue87 says:

What a cutie! Such beautiful pictures and such a beautiful family!

46. Thanks for ‘liking’ my post Malou. I adore your visits to the tulip fields over the years. Lets hope your little cutie develops a passion for them equal to that of her parents:)

47. recoverythrumylens says:

Amazing how those fields could be taken for granted…just beautiful

48. Kate says:

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. All those rows of tulips on such a spectacular, sunny day is breathtaking. I live in Michigan; and Holland, Mich. offers a miniature replica (Tulip Festival — never been to it but have wanted to) of the original featured here.

49. I love love these photos!!! Looking at few other posts, I noticed your daughter has grown up a bit. She’s adorable. You have a beautiful family that exudes love! I would visit just to see the windmills and flowers! And then visit again to see all the things I missed! Lol :) All breathtaking! Thank you sharing this lovey post.

50. phdprocrastination says:

What a lovely family you have! Your little girl is absolutely gorgeous.
    It’s fun being tourists in our own towns!

51. Robyn Lee says:

I so agree that the vision of a child is so pure and delightful. If we can take just a little bit of that perspective as adults and savor it, will go such a long way in nurturing our appreciation for life. Your daughter is just the sweetest treasure Malou!

52. polly says:

She is a real cutie, nice shots. and a very lovely family.

53. Those pictures of your husband and your daughter, or you and your daughter, or the family pictures or just the picture of you and your husband are just so precious!

54. Louis says:

These are beautiful photos of a very beautiful young lady in a very beautiful setting. Sorry everything is beautiful, but that’s how it is! I particularly like the first photo.

55. Teri Karl says:

Beautiful! What a surreal spot!

56. These are amazing pictures. When I lived in Scandinavia, I always wanted to visit the Netherlands, mostly for the tulip experience, but luckily, they are found in abundance in Scandinavia in the springtime as well. Nothing close to this though, and now I am having major regrets for not making that trip!

So true what you say about looking at things from a child’s fresh perspective. My nephew is visiting in Taiwan now, and he sits at the window and observes the people downstairs for minutes at a go. This is quite surprising, considering that he is only 3years old. He has probably noticed that people look different here from back at home.

57. Pingback: An Extraordinary World « Teacher as Transformer

58. These are fantastic! The flowers would have been great on their own, but adding your family made the photos amazing. Thanks so much for sharing.

59. Dave says:

Hi there, Malou! I’ll take a three red ones and a three yellow ones, Please. It’s not fair, you know, that one country should have more color than all the rest of the world put together. If you celebrate Easter, may yours be filled with grace and joy.

60. soumyav says:

beautiful post Malou!! truth expressed in words and photos… the tulips look gorgeous as ur little one…She is truly an angel!! god bless her …

61. Absolutely gorgeous photos! I particularly like the one of the father / daughter kiss.

62. weedimageoftheday says:

She’s growing up! Love this series.

63. Michi says:

It happens to the best of us! I remember D-Man’s first visit to the States, he kept taking pictures of the yellow school buses (“…it’s like the movies!”), the obnoxious sports cars that are so common in L.A., and yes, even the laundromat. I’d shake my head in disbelief, but he’s totally more understanding when I take pictures of his family’s huge Spanish feasts, which include giant unpeeled prawns, cheeses, olives, wine, etc (“…this is so Spanish, I love it!”).

Beautiful family photos!! The one of the three of you together deserves a frame!

64. When I was a little girl, my dad was in the U.S. Air Force and had to go over to Holland for some training. When he came back, he told me about the tulip fields. Ever since, I’ve wanted to go visit there and see and walk through the tulip fields. It’s such a beautiful flower. I love the picture of the one purple tulip in a field of yellow.

65. Those are such beautiful photos. Your beautiful little girl had the right idea.

66. the white tullips look magical

67. You said it so perfectly. It’s amazing that we can be so silly as to ignore the incredible beauty right around us because we think it’s commonplace if it’s so readily available. Good thing that you overcame that idea! These are just spectacular pictures. It must have been a delightful day!

68. It’s like with each picture i think, this is the best, and then another one is every better! Those white fields…wonderful! And your daughter is gorgeous and adorable!

69. This brings back such wonderful memories of my visits to Holland!

70. Shez says:

It’s been so much fin watching your little girl grow up year by year in the tulip fields. She gets prettier every year. I had a big project at work and had to save the blogs I didn’t have time to get to, today is my day of indulgence and I have caught up on your wonderful posts.

71. Shez says:

FUN (not fin) ;)

72. masterbaiters says:

You liked my article, I checked out your article, not really a fan of articles like this, but it was interesting and i loved the pictures….

73. Your photos inspire me to work at improving my amateur skills… Thanks for sharing!
    Kerstin in North Carolina, USA

74. Beautiful, beautiful shots. I especially liked the one your daughter took. It was perfectly framed and I loved the perspective from a youngster.

Thanks for sharing.

Bruce

75. You have a very nice family ;)
    Wish you always be happy.

Many greetings from Germany,