A cake that brings memories of home — Orange Chiffon Cake

A slice of chiffon cake - my idea of perfect comfort food

Living in another country does bring moments of homesickness for things familiar. There are days when I simply miss the flavors of home. One of the food stuffs that I really love and miss is the Orange Chiffon Cake. It is the cake that I know from childhood, the cake that I can eat any time of the day. Before the advent of the fancy cakes like chocolate cakes, cheesecakes, apple cakes, etc., there was only the Chiffon Cake that I know of. It is a typical birthday fare for no birthday celebration will be complete without Chiffon Cake and the usual rice or egg noodles, spaghetti (Philippine style), spring rolls, barbeques, marshmallows and hotdogs on sticks, fried chicken, etc.

These days, this simple Chiffon Cake had been eclipsed by the more fancy cakes which are often too rich due to too much butter and lots of whipped cream. I can’t help but long for the simple Chiffon Cake which is light, fluffy and quite refreshing.

After a bit of search on the internet, I finally found the version of the Chiffon Cake I remember. I struggled a bit in getting the right ingredients because the Dutch supermarkets do not have stuffs like cream of tartar. I checked some online expat forums on the internet and learned that this cream of tartar and other exotic ingredients like baking soda and shortening are available at the Tokos (the Asian stores). I wasted no time in getting my ingredients and has since then, been baking Chiffon Cake on an almost regular basis. Why? Because friends, colleagues, family and neighbors who have tasted this chiffon cake fell in love with it at first bite.

Here are the ingredients:
2-1/2 cups cake flour*, sifted
3/4 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup oil (vegetable oil or corn oil)
7 egg yolks, at room temperature
3/4 cup orange juice
rind of one medium sized orange
7 egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar

*Cake Flour can be substituted by replacing 2 tablespoons of sifted flour with 2 tablespoons of corn starch per 1 cup of sifted all purpose flour.

Cooking Procedures:

1. Preheat oven to 350F (176C). Prepare 10-inch ungreased tube pan.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.

3. Make a well at the center of the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. All the egg yolk, oil, orange juice and orange rind.

4. With a stand or electric hand mixer, beat the mixture until smooth and no lumps occur. Set aside.

5. With a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat on high until soft peaks begin to form. Add sugar very gradually and continuously beating until meringue is glossy and stiff.

6. Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the meringue until well blended, ensuring that you scrap the bottom of the bowl as you fold.

7. Pour into prepared ungreased tube pan.

8. Bake until golden and middle springs back when touched for about 45 to 50 minutes.

9. Invert onto the neck of a bottle. Cool completely upside down.

Chiffon Cake

Slices of chiffon cake

121 Responses to A cake that brings memories of home — Orange Chiffon Cake

1. Looks and sounds yummy!

2. jelillie says:

Asian stores huh? That is good to know. I will tell my sister who has been looking for baking soda since she moved to The Netherlands!

3. Moriah LaChapell Schalock says:

Excellent work. You are inspirational.

4. Jane says:

Nice work Malou, it looks gorgeous, and the flavors sound delicious! Let me know if you want some cream of tartar or anything you can’t find, and I will send some to you :)

Have seen this Chiffon Cakes on quite a few blogs .. while looking around – don’t think I ever had the pleasure to eat that. Like orange and a like cake – and no yeast so .. maybe. The thing is that the cakes seams to be baked in a special baking dish/tin looks much higher than a normal dish. Understood from reading the blogs that it comes from Asia. Look fantastic – have to give it a go .. only have to find the dish/tin first. So on file we go, because I’m a great fan of oranges.

Oh, you will love this cake for sure, Viveka. It is really light and the taste is wonderful. The two-piece tube pan I have is an American brand which I was able to buy from a shop that specializes in cooking/baking utensils. I’m sure that you will be able to find it there in Sweden.

6. This looks incredible, now I have to try the recipe.

7. Looks delicious, I am going to have to give this cake a try.

8. Imelda Evans says:

Where I live in Melbourne, Australia, we have many Asian families and so I often had chiffon cake at gatherings where people bring food to share. You’re right, it’s a lovely plain cake and almost incredibly light. I have never seen a recipe before, so thanks!

It is a favorite among Asians indeed. Indonesians and Malaysians do the pandan version as well by replacing the orange rind with pandan essence and the orange juice with coconut milk.

• Imelda Evans says:

Yes! I’ve had both kinds. There is one that we get a lot here (you can actually buy it in the local Asian shops) that is a beautiful, delicate pale green. Which doesn’t sound nice written down, but looks better than it sounds and tastes nice!

9. Anna Hergert says:

This cake sounds a lot like cakes I enjoyed as a child in Germany. I know all about these tastes that evoke feelings of homesickness. Advent and Christmas is not the same without “lebkuchen” and “stollen”. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I will definitely bake this soon!

10. Perfect cake Malou! Must be so tasty with the orange rind and freshly sqeezed juice!

I think I will have to try this! Orange is one of my favourite flavours and we can get all the ingredients even in our rural grocery store.

Let me know how this one turns out for you, Elaine. I now bake this a lot because it is easy and the ingredients are pretty simple. ;-)

• edebock says:

I made this for a luncheon at our church today. It was very good. There was some leftover that we’ll be enjoying at home!

12. Sarah says:

Yum! I love chiffon cake! Thanks for posting.

Any chance you will do a post on the Easter bread you also had at your Easter egg hunt picnic. It looked delicious, too!

13. Lucy says:

Looks glorious! That’s so strange that you can’t get cream of tartar and baking soda easily – it’s readily available in Ireland. Lovely post :)

14. That is a beauty. I also love chiffon cake. I made a strawberry chiffon wedding cake a number of years ago, and I’ve loved them ever since. I agree that they are especially nice with a bit of flavor – like orange.

Thanks a lot. I love chiffon cake because I feel like I can eat a lot without the calorie guilt. I’d love to try the strawberry version one of these days. ;-)

Oooooohhh that looks so delicious!!
    ;0

16. Oh my goodness that looks delicious!

17. Looks like a round version of the cake I made today and that’s a good thing. I’ve never made a cake that was exclusively orange flavoured, but I should. Looks delicious.

18. Looks absolutely delicious! Although I would be tempted to drizzle it with just a wee bit of orange glaze over the top. It looks a lot like what we call “pound cake” in the U.S.

19. It brings back memories – my mother used to make this cake often.

20. Abby Rae says:

:O I must make this and make it soon! lemony goodness!

21. I grew up with chiffon cake too, although in Hawaii it was typically guava or lilikoi chiffon…your orange chiffon looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Wow! That’s wonderful to know that you grew up with chiffon cake too. I’m curious about the guava version. I love guavas and that was our version of the apple as kids. ;-)

• Do you have access to frozen guava juice concentrate? That’s how the guava chiffon cake is typically made. I hope so because I think you would really like this version…what a great memory, eating guavas like apples :)

22. akhivar says:

nice recipe, I am sure going to try this. My kids love cakes and mostly must have new flavor. I am sure they going to love it. Thanks…

Thanks a lot, Akhivar. My daughter who’s very picky with food loves this cake. The only one among the many cakes I bake that she likes. I’m sure your kids will love this too. ;-)

23. tanyamhudson says:

What a beautiful and delicious looking cake! And I love orange in baked goods. Yum!

24. This was such a treat today.. a lovely recipe and pretty photos of your chiffon cake. There’s nothing like baking to bring back “comfort” memories! This one is bookmarked to try!!

25. scroungelady says:

Good looking cake. Years ago chiffon cakes were very popular. Then they were eclipsed by bundt cakes and other rich pastries. I agree this type of cake is refreshing and would be a welcome return from our calorie excesses.

Thanks a lot. I’m a bit tired of the rich cakes and pastries. Over here, cakes are usually with lots of butter and whipped cream. This one is light and as you aptly said, a welcome return from our calorie excesses. ;-)

26. Kuson says:

It is great to be a breakfast.

27. I love orange chiffon cake! Baking soda, cream of tartar and shortening are considered exotic ingredients? Wow. I’ve always taken those for granted. I won’t anymore. It’s good that you were able to find the ingredients.

Quite a lot of ingredients that are so common on American recipes are quite difficult to find in the normal supermarkets here in Holland. Aside from the ingredients I mentioned above, also corn syrups are hard to find. I got them from the Toko as well.

28. Jenn says:

Chiffon cakes do bring back memories. Although still available here in the Philippines, I don’t remember when was the last time I had them. The orange makes it sound intriguing, will try to make this someday. Thanks!

I guess there are just so many fancy bakeshops there in the Philippines now that sell all sorts of cakes that the lowly chiffon cake have faded in oblivion, Jenn. ;-)

29. David says:

That looks so good:))) doesn’t seem to tough to make

30. EllaDee says:

I “liked” as soon as I saw the photo :) It looks as good as I know it will taste :)

31. That does look yummy!!

Thanks for the recipe.

Vic

32. Looks so airy, light and fluffy! Really pretty. My aunt and uncle make a very similar cake but with lemon. It always brings back good memories too.

33. seetarn says:

cakes are ultimate comfort food…good going malou…keep these treats flowing in…take care…regards, Seeta

34. Sounds delicious … and you may have moments of homesickness but you do a wonderful job of embracing your new home with this blog; always a pleasure to read.

Thanks a lot, Kay. As they say, home is where the heart is. I have made Holland my home but a part of me is still Filipino. I try to merge these two worlds. ;-)

35. golappan says:

Yummy yummy….wanna fill this in tummy ;)

36. guenny says:

I will re-post this. I want to make some when I have the time. Thank you. :)

37. That looks lovely! I’m surprised you can’t easily get cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda in Holland. How do they bake?? :-) Here in the UK we have those in every supermarket.

38. howanxious says:

It reminds me of the orange cake that I baked a while ago which came out to be horrible..
    Well, definitely going to try the recipe your style. Nice post! :)

39. Michi says:

Ohhh, this looks so delicious and spongy!! Perfect for eating with a glass of milk. :)

40. Mmmmm, I can smell this all the way here at my house so it must be good! I’m with you on missing foods from home. Though I love the wonderful desserts here in France, occassionally I miss my mom’s cheesecake and my family’s other home made desserts. Sometimes you just need that good comfort food.
    Ashley

41. Brigitte says:

This looks so yummy. My Grandmother used to make both lemon chiffon cake and an orange cake with some kind of drizzle over it. It was so good and this cake reminds me of that. Will have to try this one, Malou — thank you!

42. megsays says:

This looks absolutely delicious!

43. Deb Platt says:

This was an excellent (and hunger-inducing) photo documentary of the making of the cake. I was stunned to learn that cream of Tartar, baking soda and shortening were “exotic” ingredients in the Netherlands. You would find them in just about any supermarket in the United States.

It was also touching to hear how this recipe connects you with your memories of home.

44. Your orange chiffon cake is beautiful and the texture looks almost as light as an angel food cake! My grandmother used to always make orange chiffon cakes…thanks for bringing back that memory and sharing your own, plus the recipe!

45. That loook so good and simple to make. And it’s the best when you make things that remind you of other things that you love so much! Food has a great way of creating so many great memories!

46. Paws To Talk says:

This looks amazing! We’re trying to stop the drool from building up in our mouths.
    Bella and DiDi

47. Purely.. Kay says:

Oh Malou.. you have definitely made me want dessert right after lunch :). And here I was trying to maintain my girlish figure lol. Love this

48. Thank you for following my blog…prideinphotos.com today! I returned the favor and will be now following you after seeing this very delightful blog!! You have done a great job with this…keep up the good work!!!

49. Vinny Grette says:

I love cake recipes filled with eggs – light and protein rich! PS – One day I’ll have to visit Holland in spring to see what tulips REALLY look like (from Ottawa, the tulip capital, we like to think :) ). Your pics are wonderful!

50. Sauce Boss says:

Wow, I am making this RIGHT NOW. It’s settled :)

51. Alli says:

This looks like my kind of cake. I’m putting it on my must try list.

52. JRJ2015 says:

This looks soooooooooo good :)

53. JRJ2015 says:

Reblogged this on IAmOneWeAreThree and commented:
    This looks sooooo good :)

54. I will try this cake – it looks very nice. Also: please share the recipe for Philippine spaghetti.

55. Shutterbug Sage says:

This sounds AMAZING! I’m excited to try it!

56. Light, fluffy citrussy perfection :)

57. The cracked part looks like lava coming out of a volcano – will definitely try to make this one!

58. TBM says:

That sounds good. I know what you mean about missing certain types of food. I’ve been missing some restaurants back home and spicy food.

59. Hi Malou! I enjoy reading your blog and nominated you for an award – the details are at this link. See you in the blogoshpere! Susan http://eatwilmington.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/an-award-for-me-watchutalkinbout/

60. thirdeyemom says:

Wow you are making me drool! The cake looks amazing! I also see that you have quite a following of likes!!!! :) keep up the great work!

61. Yum yum yum and…. yum! Looks great!

62. I want to let you know how much I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. I’m passing along the Liebster Award and the Versatile Blogger Awards to you. Here’s a link to my post.. http://kidsfuninseoul.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/big-thank-for-the-awards/ I look forward to reading your next posts and seeing your gorgeous pictures. Thanks for sharing!

63. Madhu says:

Malou, That looks yummy! Haven’t made cakes in a while now but this makes me want to start baking again :-)

64. Pingback: Chiffon Cake «

65. Yum! Looks fluffy and spongy and delicious! I love sweets with orange.

66. Sounds very yummy! :)

67. labelleaurore says:

Malou, wonderful cake, thank you for sharing. I made mine and left a link to yours, on my blog. Take care!

68. Team Oyeniyi says:

Malou, it looks YUMMY!

69. NFA says:

Oh now I really miss chiffon cake too. Unlike you, though, I am far too lazy to bake it — I suppose a trip to Chinatown is in order!

70. The great chiffon cake…My mother used to make that cake as well..Brings back memories of my childhood. Thanks for charing..

71. This looks amazing. So good, so wholesome.

72. silvachiqa says:

So happy for you, that you could find something comforting to heal your home sickness. I Iove to cook and bake, I will try your delicious recipe.

73. travtrails says:

Yummy. Must try it out

74. Jorin Hawley says:

Yumm! I am trying this one for sure.

75. Lori Lipsky says:

Yum, yum, yum. Looks delicious.

76. You are so right – chiffon cake and especially orange flavored, takes me back to childhood birthday parties. Cakes have become more complicated and chiffon cake is the perfect antidote to that. Thank you!

77. Looks great! Thanks for the recipe, I’ll definitely try it :)

78. Rachael says:

Yummy! My daughter and I obviously need to do some baking this weekend!