Sunset walk along the dike

Sunset

We first laid eyes on each other around sunset over 15 years ago on the shores of El Nido in the Philippines. Call us incurable romantics but sunset still weaves its amazing magic to us each time.

Being parents to an overly active 4-year old, we are constantly busy and in a rush but we found ourselves enjoying some quiet moments together last month when our little girl was fetched by the grandparents for the weekend. Finally, a bit of time for ourselves and those sleep-outs that we badly needed after many short nights.

On this seemingly warm early spring day, we enjoyed a quiet walk along the dike not so far from our place. On this dike is also a steam mill (Stoomgemaal Hertog Reijnout) which was built in 1882 and drains the water from the polder.

I love it there to just watch the many birds that converge on the flood plains in the polder and the tranquil view of the setting sun in the distance. On this particular day, the birds were mostly sea gulls but there were times when I’ve seen an incredible number of geese. Oh, they’re still in flight this time of the year from Africa where they stay till the cold season is over here in Europe.

Steam mill (Stoomgemaal Hertog Reijnout)

Stoomgemaal Hertog Reijnout

Signs of spring

Signs of spring

Signs of spring

Me

The Mr.

the Mr.

Our shadows

Sunset

Glorious skies

The dike

Eemmeer, used to be Zuiderzee and is now partly reclaimed into the Flevopolder

Birds in flight in the distance

A boat in the distanc

Sunset at the dike

Swans

Sunset

Steam mill in the distance

a little jetty on the Eemmeer

Numerous birds in flight

Birds

Birds in flight

Birds in flight...steam mill in the distance

Birds in flight

92 Responses to Sunset walk along the dike

1. As always, awesome shots!

2. newsferret says:

Lovely pics. Some times I get confused as to which to prefer, a sunset or a sunrise. Guess it must be the romantic in me.

Thanks a lot. Both sunrise and sunset have their respective charms and to a romantic person like you, those charms must work wonders. ;-)

3. mumchic says:

Beautiful Photography ! I am in love with the “sunset at the dike” shot :)

4. Eve Redwater says:

That last shot is fantastic!

5. LOve these!!!!
    Full of atmosphere. spirit of place.

I’ve spent some recent years catching up on the history of the Netherlands – every part full and rich with events!

Thanks a lot, Michael. This country is maybe small but its history is rich and the spirit of its people in overcoming the many adversities of its unique geological structure is really admirable. ;-)

6. Michael Zoll says:

Wieder sehr schöne Fotos! Danke und Gruß aus Berlin!
    Michaelzoll.com

7. Olivia Mair says:

Lovely shots and a touching read.

8. Beautiful! You cant beat a good sunset!

9. janinevasta says:

I love the story Malou. A sunset is a beautiful thing to have to remind you of one another. It follows wherever you go.

The sunset indeed reminds me and my husband of how everything all started. It is nice to remember those days long gone and how far we’ve come together. ;-)

10. Carlos Ferreira says:

They’re great shots. I love how you go from panoramics to portraits to macro in the same set. Gives a feeling of scale. The colours are awesome as well.

11. wvfarm2u says:

I had imagined a dike being a huge wall keeping back the crashing see….shows how silly the imagery stays when described as a child. I really enjoy the glimpses of your life there.

You are not along in thinking along that line. I used to think of dikes in that way too especially after reading that story on “A leak in the dike” about the boy who saved the village by sticking his finger on the hole in the dike. Coming here, I got a different picture of the dike. The longest and biggest dike for instance (Afsluitdijk) which serves as a divide between the Waddenzee and the Ijsselmeer is a 30km highway. ;-)

12. recoverythrumylens says:

What a beautiful spot…wonderful to see that you’re still in love…

It is indeed a nice place for a little walk and the sunset came as a wonderful bonus that brought back lovely memories of our first meeting. ;-)

13. Stunning shots. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful place.

14. calaurore9 says:

Gorgeous photography.
    thesidetrek.com

15. Truly romantic…beautiful!

Have you changed “theme” ???? – really like the new layout – your photos are always so enjoyable and they don’t look like they have been enhanced. Sunset and water … I think we all have a soft romantic streak for those objects. Lovely. Top one my favorite!

17. This is a lovely change today.. I adore water photographs and these were so pretty! The perfect walk for a couple to reconnect! I remember those years well!

Thanks a lot, Smidge. Indeed from my flower fields, this is a departure. I just can’t resist sharing the magic of this amazing sunset at the dike which also brought back happy memories of those years. ;-)

18. thirdeyemom says:

Beautiful post! I am a romantic too and would love to hear more stories of how you met!!!!

19. It’s so lovely where you live, Malou. Love the ladybug photo and the swans in particular.

20. Lynne Ayers says:

Time together, so important.

21. Robyn Lee says:

Lovely — family memories are the best Malou. The scenes here remind me of my own area. Amazing to think we can be so far and yet feel so close!! Have a great day!

Thanks a lot, Robyn. I take tons of pictures to preserve these family memories. Time flies and I see that with my little girl and I can only cling to the pictures as reminders. ;-)

22. It looks like you had a wonderful and well-deserved day! I can imagine how special it must have been to be able to get a little alone time to yourselves. Thanks, as always, for sharing it with us!

Having this special time alone has become a very precious commodity that we treasure so much. I am glad that my in-laws can ably look after the little girl so we are very much assured that she is in safe and loving hands. ;-)

23. The scenes are so tranquil. What a lovely way place to spend some romantic time together. I love the photo of the big swans, just gorgeous.

24. BigSkyKen says:

Looks like a wonderful place to spend some quality time together!

25. KarenCooking says:

This does look quite peaceful. I especially like the sunset photos. (My 7-year-old loved the ladybug photo!)

26. beatrix mana says:

Thanks for the photos. It looks quite relaxing especially with the Mr. It should have been you and the Mr. on that little boat. Have a nice day.

27. Beautiful Sunset pictures Malou!!

28. Gorgeous photos Malou!! I’m going back to Europe tomorrow for a visit, these photos makes me so excited and I can’t wait to go :-)

29. vanevolence says:

Amazing photos as usual!

30. judithornot says:

This is a good time of the year for romance. :-) The Aleutian Geese come through our area on their way north, and I love the sound of their honking. They feed in pastures; one day at lunch I went past a field that seemed to have a lot of bushes I hadn’t seen before, and then I realized they were geese. :-)

31. Amy says:

Beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your romantic moments!

32. eof737 says:

I love sunsets… these are gorgeous.

33. These are the most gorgeous photos ever! You have such an eye for composition. Have you ever had any transferred to canvas? My daughter took some wonderful photos in Italy & France and I’ve sent them off to this company that transfers them to any size canvas. Problem sometimes is picking out favorites. Nice to have some times with just your husband though isn’t it.

34. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Sun… | Mirth and Motivation

35. ejomlexus says:

I love the shots…so perfect! I wish I could take shots like those.

36. gkm2011 says:

My favorite is the photo with the ladybug – I am in awe that you were able to capture such an intimate moment. Beautiful.

37. Thank you, malou, for your gorgeous shots! It was great to tour the dikes with you and yours!

38. Dor says:

Absolutely beautiful photographs Malou!

39. polly says:

very nice collection

40. Jane says:

Gorgeous pictures! I love the sunset too :)

41. Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I love living in Florida, but at times I am so homesick for Europe. Thanks for giving me a glimpse of it.

42. thingthree says:

The second photo on the April 21, 2012 post, (of the steam mill) is just begging to be painted – what a view.

43. Great photos! Sunset is such a great time of the day, it’s the ending to a good day and a hope for magic to come at night!

44. charles says:

Gorgeous photos! You really captured the serenity of nature in them.

45. Lovely photographs, great views.

46. The sunset is gorgeous! How wonderful that there is a place for you to ride your bike along the dike. It makes for such a pleasant outting.
    Ashley

47. Beautiful as usual Malou! Thanks for sharing…:)

48. Malou, I just wanted to stop by to again admire your photo’s and to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I hope others will join in & have passed on the Kreative Blogger award to you. Have a lovely day & keep those gorgeous photos coming, you have such talent.

49. Louis says:

A fascinating collection giving a real sense of place.

50. So nice to get a sense of what it’s like in your world. I feel calmer just looking at those pictures. thank you!

51. How romantic. It’s great you and the Mr. got some time along together. Love the shot of your shadows!

52. Reggie says:

Oh, how idyllic and tranquil. I am glad you got to spend some precious time together, Malou, it is so important. Beautiful landscape images.

53. boscovstravel says:

Great photos. Absolutely beautiful!

54. lucindalines says:

Loved those pictures!!

55. Team Oyeniyi says:

Agreed – awesome shots – but I am having difficulty – only the first few are showing on each post – it might be at my end, I think, but are the pictures compressed before you post them? Perhaps they are large and the transfer (from so far away) is slow?

56. I love sunsets! Thank you for taking time out to visit and follow my blog. Cheers!

-Wenggee-

57. Ben says:

Beautiful pictures.

58. I love your photos of the flowers with the blurred backgrounds. I am going to keep an eye open for those ladybirds. They are storybook examples. Ours in Western Australia are much smaller and more orange.

59. Cro-Magnolia says:

You take great shots all around. There’s some excellent photos of flowers in the posts above. That is some really flat land.

60. Thanks for letting me camp out in your blog today. I had a great time and tried to leave my campsite as clean as when I arrived.

61. luxaeternaimaging says:

The birds in flight at sunset is a stunning image!

62. akanksha says:

Beautiful, beautiful shots Malou!