Cheap date in the flower fields

Hubby and I always love our cheap spring date where we would normally drive around the bulb field areas in the Noordoost Polder, have coffee by the flower fields sold by some enterprising farmer’s children and have lunch of fries and kroket in a snack bar that we would find open in one of the village centers along the flower route. We don’t see the need to go to any fancy restaurant for what can we ask for when already surrounded by so much beauty that we are literally drowning from the sight of millions of tulips in full bloom.

It is kind of funny that this activity that we do every springtime comes as too corny and tacky to a lot of people. Many Dutch would not want to be seen in the flower fields, more so, to have their pictures taken in such a setting. I don’t mind being branded as corny and tacky in my appreciation of this incredible beauty. To me, seeing this amazing wonders of nature every spring is a testament of God’s existence and infinite love for us.

Hubby enjoying his coffee sold by an enterprising farmer's daughter who had a thermo of coffee and biscuits for visitors like us. A cup with a piece of cookie costs a mere Eur 50 cents.

149 Responses to Cheap date in the flower fields

1. wvfarm2u says:

Malou, I am guessing that after the bloom the bulbs are harvested and then sold? How many years do they have the bulbs bloom before they harvest? I know one of the major sellers here say their bulbs are bigger because they are older.

No, the flowers will first be cut so that the bulbs can further grow. In summer, the bulbs will be harvested. The process goes on, bulbs will be planted again in autumn.

2. What absolutely delightful photos. I can understand why you would be inspired every year to visit the flowers and tulip farm.

3. Brigitte says:

Malou, as always gorgeous pics. It’s always the simple things that are the best. :).

4. Aaaaaah looks like heaven! The flowers are so beautiful!

5. Gorgeous photos, great date!

6. Corny, tacky, cheap… I don’t think so… how about beautiful and awesome.
    Looks like a wonderful date sans enfant… you actually got to sit and enjoy that 50cent cup of coffee.
    Gorgeous fields I hope to someday see in person… we are all over the corny around here!

Thanks a lot, Wendy. The little girl (still a baby then) was in the capable hands of the oma and opa. If you get the chance to visit Holland, come around springtime to enjoy this spectacle. ;-)

Seems odd the Dutch don’t want to be seen in those fields.

8. Spectacular! As always.

You could make a good living selling your photos – whether as cards, or framed pictures.

9. Cathy says:

Great photos! Don’t you find it just overwhelming with all those gorgeous flowers around you?!

Thanks a lot, Cathy. It can indeed be overwhelming and at the same time, just amazing to realize that paradise exists. ;-)

10. The sheer scale of these fields is staggering. Awesome!

11. Michael Zoll says:

Prächtige Farben!

12. lyn120days says:

a divinely beautiful corny……never seen so much colour ; D

13. artbycamila says:

Every time I see this kind of photos you take makes me want to go there so bad…… one day… one day… hopefully soon and of course on spring time!!! Thank you so much for sharing…

14. golappan says:

Awesome…..love it!!!

15. janinevasta says:

Beautiful post Malou. Cheap and chic!

16. It’s a cloudy day here on the East Coast – seeing these amazing photos was needed! Just discovered your blog (thanks for checking me out btw) – I’ll be diving into the archives to see what I’ve been missing!

Too bad it is cloudy there. We’ve had that too most of April and even today. The sunny weather with blue skies seemed to be a one-off yesterday. ;-)

17. You live in a country so blessed with flowers and nature…Truly enjoyed the photos..All the best, Jenny

18. jamielynne82 says:

I love it! That’s like blue bonnets here in Texas, people always joke about people taking their kids there. But I say the blue bonnets and Dutch flowers are famous for a reason – because they are beautiful! So why not enjoy your own backyard? :)

Thanks a lot, Jamielynne. Nothing beats an inexpensive thrill right at one’s backyard. I love the flower fields and why not enjoy them when I can? People from all over the world descend to Holland just to see them in spring and that’s even very pricey.

19. recoverythrumylens says:

Beautifully corny….

20. sillyliss says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

21. harpethview says:

I have always wanted to see these tulips in person! Alas, living half way across the globe may make that impossible–so thank you for posting such beautiful, beautiful photos!

Lovely …. are the photos taken this year. Cheap dates … seams to keep your love blooming. Once again, you take stunning photos.

Thanks a lot, Viveka. These pictures were from 3 years ago. ;-)

• viveka says:

Oh .. doesn’t matter the cheap date .. keeps the love lasting longer, maybe.

I am all for cheap. Yesterday we had the same trip to the flower fields and had so much fun without spending a single cent. We rewarded ourselves with a nice barbeque when we got home. ;-)

23. beatrix mana says:

Beautiful pictures. Some of the corny dates are the most memorable.

24. Jasmine Pahl says:

I love this! It sounds incredibly romantic. And I also love the photos of you popping out among the tulips; you look like a pretty tulip yourself!

25. Thandiwe says:

I don’t think this is corny at all – indeed, I think it is such a wonderful way to share your love for each other and enjoy the beauty of our world! Thanks for the inspiration. And for the reminder that dates are not about how much money we spend but how much time we spend and the quality of that time together.

Glad to know that we share the same perspective. Having a wonderful time is really not about the amount spent but the quality of time together. ;-)

26. travelbug80 says:

I think you’re a really good photographer and we have similar likes really. I love cooking, baking & traveling too. keep up the great work :)

27. Angeline M says:

Gorgeous shots, all the colors are amazing. That would be a wonderful outing, why go sit inside when you can be out there in that beauty!

28. Tulips are my fav flowers – how lovely. Your photos are fabulous!

29. Beautiful! And beautiful shots, too.

30. GORGEOUS! Looks like a perfect date to me!

31. Cee Neuner says:

Such fabulous color and photos!!! Such a wonderful date for you two!!!

32. You both look perfect (and happy) in those fields. All gorgeous.

33. I don’t think it’s corny at all! Glad you posed in the flowers and enjoyed the beauty.

Thanks a lot. In life, we should also pause for a while to savor nature’s beauty. There’s always something refreshing with that. ;-)

34. EduDad says:

What an amazing farm. Great photos.

35. Michi says:

Best cheap date, EVER!!! I want a date at the tulip fields!!

Such a date is always fulfilling because the scenery is spectacular and it is all for free save for a few cents for the coffee. ;-)

36. I really like pics of you guys with vast background of tulip fields.

Looks so cool.

Thanks,

Vic

37. judithornot says:

I don’t often comment, because you already get so many. :-). But I enjoy the beautiful photos of flowers. And your flower dates sound like just the sort of thing my husband and I would enjoy. :-)

38. zombi951 says:

WOW!what a beautiful place to visit its a photographers eyecandy great shots

39. buttercupsandbuttons says:

WOW! so beautiful!! i bet that smelled delicious.

40. colonialist says:

What an utterly stunning setting! Imagine not making a point of drinking in spectacles like those, and identifying with them, when they are on one’s doorstep. They need their minds adjusted, those who don’t want to be seen in those vivid displays.

I guess most people always think that the grass is greener at the other side of the fence that they fail to appreciate the treasure that is right before their eyes. ;-)

41. Your pictures are gorgeous! Makes me want to click my fingers and be there!

42. The aroma of fresh coffee in field after field of glorious tulips…now that’s what I call a romantic date! Beautiful photos, malou…just beautiful!

43. I don’t understand why they WOULDN’T want to go play in the flowers. They are so enticing. I think this is a lovely tradition for you both.

I guess they just see this scenery every spring year after year that it has become too ordinary. Since I grew up in the tropics and the tulips I knew then while growing up were only from pictures, I am very appreciative that I now get to see them in such proportion every spring. ;-)

44. Eve Redwater says:

Wow, what awesome shots… it’s like swimming through colour. :) Tulips are so beautiful, especially for a date!

45. oceannah says:

Malou….AGAIN you’ve given us lovely tulips, thanks so much.

*anna

46. lulumus says:

The only time is like flowers is when I’m in the dutch flower fields. The colors and the contrast are so powerful!

47. Huguenot says:

I cannot believe that Dutch would find this corny! It is amazing, wherever you live, you do not appreciate what beauty is truly around you!

48. Terra says:

How beautiful!!! I would enjoy being surrounded by such beauty. What a blessing! I am full of smiles.

49. Pingback: Curmudgeonly « John Mullinax's Blog

50. Malou, Your blog is wonderful, as are your photos! I’ve nominated you for a blog award, which you can see here: http://johnmullinax.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/curmudgeonly/ .

Thank you for sharing your blog! (And also, thank you for the lumpia recipe!! :) )

51. rumpydog says:

How could you not want to be seen among such beautiful flowers?

My sentiments exactly. Anyway, I love it that going to the flower fields is one peaceful and calming thing to do as well, away from the busy tourist path in spring. ;-)

52. flyfishbrat says:

Love, Love, Love your pictures. Thanks for sharing all those beautiful flowers. It truly looked like a day in heaven.

53. Paws To Talk says:

So gorgeous!
    Bella and DiDi

54. Olivia Mair says:

So gorgeous! I don’t think i’d ever get sick of visiting those gorgeous fields of flowers either :)

Thanks a lot, Olivia. I never tire of these amazing fields so I return year after year. I’m sure that if you get to experience this, you will also be charmed to no end. ;-)

55. Previse says:

Absolutely gorgeous pictures!
    All the colors are so vibrant and inspiring
    What a lovely trip…

56. ladyfi says:

What a great date. Not tacky – but heavenly, just like your photos.

57. Funny that the Dutch don’t want to see their lovely tulip fields. Here so many people go to see them that they clog up the freeway and cause a major traffic jam, and they’re not tourists.

Too ordinary for them I guess. I love escaping to these tulip fields because there are hardly anyone there. Definitely out of the tourist route. ;-)

58. Simplicity and beauty. Thank you. One of my favourite quotes is Hopkins – ‘There lives the dearest freshness deep down things’. Those tulips couldn’t look more full of spring. L x

59. Dave says:

Cheap dates are good dates. What beauty!

60. I’m always so jealous!
    Ashley

61. cristina says:

This is beautiful!

62. lulu says:

My but you have just brightened my day!

63. Julie says:

Thanks for the following! I’m following you back too! We have flower fields in San Diego too but definitely not quite like this. My boyfriend and I are planning to go to Central Europe next year – this might be on our list :-).

64. newjourneytohealth says:

Those are some amazing pictures. The tulips look phenomenal! I wish we had something as beautiful like those fields – here as well. That is a wonderful idea for a date!

65. Oh I’d do corny any day to have fields of flowers like these to walk among and have my photo taken. And what better place to have a cup of coffee with the family! Lovely! Sharon

66. So beautiful! I would love to find fields of flowers like that to take pictures in!

67. Hey there! Thank you so much for following my blog! :)
    Loved reading your insights about the Dutch and browsing through your pictures. I love Europe from whatever I have read about it, and do hope to visit the place at least once in my lifetime. Thank you for showing us a different side to your country and hometown.

68. laurabennet says:

Spectacular! God’s creativity amazes me. Thanks for sharing.

69. chrisstov says:

What wonderful flowers tulips are and such beautiful colours.

70. Love love love this post – great photos taken on an obviously great date! Beautiful!
    anne

71. Reblogged this on Greatpoetrymhf’s Weblog and commented:
    To cheer your day

72. terrepruitt says:

Wow. I have never seen such huge fields of flowers. Lovely. Thank you so much for sharing! I love it!

73. Agreed… I also think these sorts of dates are the most romantic of all!! And most memorable!!

74. Gorgeous tulip fields and loved your eggroll recipe, now I’m hungry, could you come over and bring some. We had a Vietnamese neighbor that use to bring over food for us to try. She moved and now we sure miss it.

75. Wow! Such intense colours :) Kim*

76. Java Girl says:

Huh! How did I miss this blog from my blog feed!? How are you? You are making me jealous by sitting amongst my favorite flower, the tulips! The picture of you with the white tulips and their pink tips is my favorite! You look great in all your pictures and so sweet to have the flower date! Romance is in the air! Beautiful pictures!

77. thirdeyemom says:

I love the pictures and the date idea! It is so hard to find cheap places to go out especially when you have to hire a babysitter! I love the picture of you in the yellow tulips. Beautiful!

78. Love all the beautiful colors!

79. thingthree says:

You have such a fantastic eye and the stories you write to accompany them – what a wonderful combo. It’s a vacation for both the eye and mind.

80. Kim McGuire says:

Ohhhh, Malou, your pictures are so beautiful. I’m wistful! We tore up our garden last year with plans to develop an organic edible landscape. It’s proving to be a long process. Last autumn I did manage to get some apple trees, rhubarb, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries planted. Sadly, however, four bags of bulbs stayed in the shed!! The only tulips I have in the garden this year are four pretty, but lonely, little lovelies! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. Kim