Tuscan sunset at Pelagaccio

Tuscan sunset

The nice thing about staying in an agriturismo was that it was possible to escape the madness of crowded places like the earlier part of the day we spent in Volterra and retreat to the tranquil of Pelagaccio. There was the pool for a dip to tame the scorching heat and then the simple beauty of the countryside to take us back to another place and time.

The little girl was just so happy to be back to Pelagaccio playing with Pippo (the sweet dog belonging to the agriturismo) and then with 2 other kids at the playground. Who won’t have fun in such a place, a playground with so much space?

Tuscan sunset never fails to amaze. That crimson ball in the horizon which would eventually disappear through the Tuscan hills and leaves behind a sky of various shades from purple, red, pink, and gold, eventually giving way to darkness and a night sky of millions of stars.

Before dinner, I just found myself taking a short walk on the dirt road leading to and from Pelagaccio and took more pictures. I wanted to take pictures of Pelagaccio from a distance and at sunset with the fading light giving it a different charm and glow. It was amazing to also take pictures of the village of Fabbricca close to nightfall as the many pictures I took of this village was at the height of the day. There was a different kind of wonder and amazement to see the silhouette of Tuscan hills in the fading light, to hear the birds and crickets even under pain of being bitten by some nasty flies.

On this little excursion, Pippo proved his loyalty by providing me excellent company which was very reassuring in such a very unfamiliar terrain.

Tuscan sunset

Tuscan vineyard at sunset

Tuscan sunset

Pelagaccio from the distance

Agriturismo Pelagaccio from the distance

Tuscan hills in late afternoon

Small vineyard close to the entrance of Pelagaccio

Vineyard and the village of Fabbricca up the hill

Agriturismo Pelagaccio at sunset

Francesca

Father and daughter

Children’s playground

Kids playing with Pippo

Sweet Pippo

Francesca and Pippo

The little girl and her favorite dog

Fun at the swing

Fun at the table football

Fun at the slide

Fun at the slide

Luscious fruits ripening under the the Tuscan sun

Unripe grapes

Yellow blooms

Red blooms

Tuscan roses

Little girl at sunset

Little girl and Pippo

108 Responses to Tuscan sunset at Pelagaccio

1. Elena says:

wow! Incredibly beautiful and peaceful..

2. beautiful little girl….

3. Inamelia says:

Amazing!

4. “little girl at sunset” is such a nice shot of your daughter.

5. Don says:

The place never ceases to amaze me. Even the names have a wonderful ring to them. It’s as if they go with the landscape.

So true, Don. The place is truly enchanting and listening to the Italian language with that lovely intonation, they all seem to go together. ;-)

6. elainekamari says:

beautiful pictures of the landscape

7. Madhu says:

Francesca and Pippo is like a painting…so lovely!

8. oiyoufood says:

I love your photos Malou! Everyone of them gives me a little daydream! Beautiful!

9. Loved your shots, Well taken! =)

10. Lotus Mama says:

What beautiful photos! Your description of the place is also lovely…very poetic and inspiring. Italy does that to you, doesn’t it? Enjoy the rest of your time there!

11. ShimonZ says:

The pictures tell the story of a beautiful vacation… including the family dog, always ready to be of help… watching out while the children play. I love the vineyards, and the photograph of the Agriturismo Pelagaccio at sunset. But it is all so beautiful. How good to have had such a vacation!

Very nice narrative and terrific pictures Malou! Thanks for sharing! :)

13. I like this agriturismo idea–I never heard of it before.

If you want to see the countryside and have a bit more of real Italian life, stay in an agriturismo. We love it more than staying in a hotel. ;-)

14. Bad earthquake the other side of the Appenines: Bologna area.

Take care!!!

I feel so sorry every time that there is an earthquake in that part of Europe. There will always be something of the past that is forever lost (apart from sacred lives).

15. So many gorgeous elements of your post as always! The photo of Francesca and Pippo was gorgeous, she might be asking for a puppy this Christmas, if not already!

16. Loved the pictures of Francesca and her dad, also with Pippo. Malou what’s your camera specification?

17. machisan says:

thanks a lot for sharing the wonderful photos… yes would love to know the brand of your camera !
    thanks

18. Simply love how you tell your story with pictures!

19. Oh beautiful. I love hills and vineyards…and open spaces…so refreshing!

20. sugaredpecan says:

Everything is so lovely! I love your pictures!

21. Amy says:

Tuscany is beautiful any time of the day, especially through your lens! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos and story!

Thanks a lot, Amy. Knowing that you’ve been there too, I know that we share the same fascination of this lovely place. ;-)

22. tita buds says:

Were you required to work at the agriturismo, Malou? There’s a place I can stay in somewhere in that region but the concept of agriturismo fascinates me and maybe someday I’ll go that route. :)

The agriturismo is a farm house rented out as apartments. No, we were not required to do any work but I would have loved some chores in the kitchen with an Italian mama to teach me the rudiments of Italian cooking. If you go to Italy, give it a try because it is better than staying in the hotel. Very laid-back. We did not even have TV and computer but it was wonderful to actually take some distance from it all. ;-)

23. Jane says:

Gorgeous! Your daughter looks like she had a good time!

A beautiful green carpet stretching into infinity. My wife said Wow!

25. Amazing place. history oozing out of every blade of grass.

26. Francesca is a stunning little girl :)

27. I love the rolling hills! Francesca is so cute…looks like she had a great time :)

28. BigSkyKen says:

Malou, your Tuscany series looks like you had a great holiday, and have some wonderful images to keep the memories alive for years to come. The variety of imagery does a great job of giving me perspective on a place I will likely never see or experience, thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks a lot, Ken. I’m glad that the various images give you a good perspective of this place. I hope that someday you also find your footsteps there. ;-)

29. naturebeing says:

Very nice, I continue to enjoy your images. Being able to photograph vacation holidays makes it so much more interesting and helps the feeling of the times last forever. I have been continuing to press the Like button for the last few of your blog posts but for some reason they are not going through???

Thanks a lot. Over time, I’ve learned to document holidays in a different way, capturing images of the landscape and other things rather than just people. That way, the holiday memories remain vivid. ;-)

Not sure why you are having problems with the “like” button but I hope that whatever is causing it, it is over now.

30. janinevasta says:

You’ve captured the light beautifully Malou. Sunset is my favourite time of day in Italy.

Thanks a lot, Janine. There’s that special magic at sunset over there. I love the way the day gives in to the darkness of the night. ;-)

31. Beautiful pics, especially of father and the daughter.:-)

Thanks,

Vic

32. EllaDee says:

Pelagaccio from the distance, sunset etc – you’ve captured it in a beautiful iconic way, and kids & dogs – you have amazing ways :)

33. MommaExpat says:

Great pictures, but seriously your daughter is utterly adorable!

34. chrisstov says:

Oh such a lovely sun setting on a such a beautiful land. Thank you for sharing such lovely photos with us all.

35. Just beautiful. I love seeing the places you get to explore—amazing!

36. Beautiful and adorable :D

37. Beautiful, Malou! The scenery, the fruit and that lovely little girl at sunset and always!

38. Isn’t it amazing how pictures of the vineyards never gets old! The rolling hills, the neatly manicured rows and the little bits of greenery to show they are ready to produce great wine. I envy those who own their own vineyards and winery. Now that’s a job I would never get tired of doing :)
    Ashley

We share the same fascination for vineyards. In fact, I told the hubby that I would love to do grape-harvesting in autumn. He just told me that I also have to lift the heavy bucket of grapes too which I may not like. ;-)

39. amoonfull says:

Amazing photos and Francesca is beautiful!! Love this post!

40. Bellissima! Your photos and your daughter are beautiful!

41. BeingMama says:

Ahh! I feel transported to another land! How wonderful that you are documenting these precious days. Enjoy.

42. Glorious ~ Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos! Enjoy ~ I love this~ Deborah

43. Beautifully captured!!

Some of these photos remind me of Napa, California.

45. Idyllic beyond words! And what great photos of your gorgeous little sun-kissed girl! A perfect holiday. Sharon

46. zigsputnik says:

Beautiful pictures from a magic place!

47. lulu says:

As you show, most everything in Tuscany is photo worthy.

48. Beautiful pictures :) Dreaming of travelling right now…

49. c. dunn says:

It seem like a place you can relax and create;nature factory for ideas and success.

50. amyelsie says:

I love your photos! And the kids are adorable! It’s a great blog :)

51. Gorgeous photos! Love the rolling green hills. Looks like your daughter had a fantastic time!

52. You really have an exceptional way of drawing people into the life of your photos. I can’t quite explain it. But it’s such a gift. I found it with the faces and expressions and now also the landscape. I’d like to discover that in my own work.

53. ejomlexus says:

Wonderful Kids! I miss my childhood days, especially my bonding with my father.

54. I have loved your blog since I found it a few months ago. Having gotten behind on my writing as well as my reading, I am enjoying catching up on yours. Walt has gotten out of his chair and has been pulled from the other room numerous time to answer my “Hey sweetie, come here you have to see this!” We especially love the Tuscany journey, Tuscany is number one on our “Bucket List” of places we want to see. Thanks for sharing your family journey with us.

55. annandmeg says:

I love the natural feel of your blog. You combine charming photos with scattered comments about family and your surroundings

56. Such adorable pics of children and the dog…and the sunset photos are amazing!