A royal encounter – up close and personal with Crown Princess Maxima

That’s me with the big grin a step behind Crown Princess Maxima

Let me take a break from my Tuscany series of posts and tell you of my royal encounter yesterday with our lovely crown princess. I was lucky to get an invite from my alma mater, the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) to attend the inaugural lecture of Professor Stella Luz A. Quimbo from the University of the Philippines School of Economics following her appointment to the Prince Claus Chair in Development and Equity.

The Prince Claus Chair which is chaired by Princess Maxima was established by Utrecht University and the International Institute of Social Studies in early 2003 in honour of Prince Claus of the Netherlands (1926-2002) who has been deeply committed in promoting development and equity throughout the world.

This was actually my second time to attend this event and the second time to see the crown princess in person. It was just amazing to finally shake hands with her and introduced myself as being from the Philippines. Something to tell grandchildren in my old days that I had this real meeting with the princess (she’ll be queen by then) and finally documented with this one picture. ;-)

These pictures were taken by Piet Gispen, the official ISS photographer and lifted from the ISS Flickr site.

Princess Maxima

Professor Stella Quimbo

Professor Quimbo with the Rector Magnificus of Erasmus University and Rector of ISS

Professor Quimbo with Princess Maxima, the rectors and the ISS faculty

Professor Quimbo with Princess Maxima, the Mayor of The Hague and the rectors

Princess Maxima in conversation with the ISS students

64 Responses to A royal encounter – up close and personal with Crown Princess Maxima

1. Gilly Gee says:

What a lovely day to look back on Malou!

Indeed, Gilly! I met the queen too last November at the same institute at a lecture given by the President of Mali. No picture though but it was an experience to savor. ;-)

2. msuzanneb says:

I follow your blog and really enjoy the variety of post. Thank you for sharing all these wonderful experiences. How exciting!

3. What an experience indeed!
    Love the pic with you & the big grin :)

4. c. dunn says:

Just like a princess young,beautiful,blond,kind,willing to talk the common folks;how noble of you.Royalty is blessing from God,very much success now and in the future to come.Hail!

This is so nice, I’m happy for you! She is pretty and I’m sure very nice too. :)

Thanks a lot, John. She’s the most popular member of the Dutch royal family. Her being a commoner brought a breath of fresh air to the monarchy. ;-)

6. whitt88 says:

Wonderful post. It gave me “goose-bumps.” As your friends above have already said, congratulations!

7. So exciting! Definately a story for the grandchildren.

8. Interesting post and wonderful photos!

9. RDoug says:

Lovely story, and lovely photos (as always).

10. How wonderful to not only meet and shake hands but to have a photo to mark the occasion!! I’d be hanging this one in my home:) xo Smidge

Thanks a lot, Smidge. I saw her before but did not have a proof in picture. The same with the Queen whom I met last November. ;-)

11. Desi Chick says:

Great photos to mark a momentous occasion

12. How great was that. Great for you and a reward for all your efforts to get that education and leave your home country to do it.
    I also have to say that I think the Dutch royalty are great, the best, but now I might be a tad prejudiced…;-)
    Johanna

Thanks a lot, Johanna. It was an honor to see a fellow Filipina take the post of Prince Claus chair. So proud of her. The presence of Princess Maxima made the occasion more special. ;-)

13. Your blog and pictures always make me smile. Thanks.

14. dapithapon says:

wow! this is great, ma’am! :) i know Dr. Stella Quimbo. she’s a brilliant professor in UP Diliman. i’m so happy to know that she’s there in your alma mater to deliver a lecture. Pinay rocks! \m/ :)

by the way, Princess Maxima is really pretty.

cheers to you, Ms. Malou! :)

So proud of her, Dapit Hapon. She delivered a great lecture and more proud that a Filipina has been appointed to this prestigious professorial chair. Her husband was also there, also a very nice guy. ;-)

• dapithapon says:

ma’am, her husband is a popular congressman in one of the cities in Metro Manila. he’s quite a newbie in congress and so, he’s still idealistic. he is indeed handsome and nice, too. :D they are a lovely couple. :)

I noticed that . The other Pinays really made it a point to have a picture with him, even swooning over him, ;-)

They make a good pair, such a lovely couple and if they won’t lose that idealism, they will be the future of new politics in the Philippines.

15. How very exciting you look happy in that pic (you behind the Princess)!

16. She looks like a very kind woman – what did your little girl think of you meeting her?

17. What a fun day! I love the photo of you behind the Princess. You look like you’re having a blast!

18. Don says:

Wow! Malou. What a day it must have been for you.

It was a great day because aside from meeting the princess, I am also very proud that someone from my country holds the prestige of being appointed to the Prince Claus Professorial Chair. ;-)

Beautiful lady – and I bet you’re frilled to have met her. As you said something to tell the grandchildren about – lovely post and excellent photos. Thanks for taking us there too.

Yes, it was thrilling to finally have this picture with her and even have that fleeting conversation with her. Btw, she was in your country the day after for the christening of your little princess. ;-)

• viveka says:

Didn’t watch “our christening” – because I was in transfer between mum and Landskrona. Have seen pictures … always nice to check out all the fashion. I would be very exciting if I met Victoria – I think it’s nice with a little Royal family that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

20. Madhu says:

How wonderful Malou! A day to savour like you say :-)

21. Reggie says:

Ooh, Malou, what a wonderful story – an unforgettable experience! Princess Maxima looks like such a beautiful lady. And that is a great image of you smiling! :-)

22. Wow! What a privilege! Cheers Malou!!!

23. Olivia Mair says:

How exciting!! Definitely one to tell the grandkiddies!

24. msuzanneb says:

Malou, I enjoy following your blog and appreciate your openness with sharing your life and family. I have nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award. You can view the nomination and rules at http://www.godisiam.net

25. Amy says:

Beautiful pictures, Malou! How cool to be right by the Princess Maxima! You had a beautiful smile!

26. Deb Platt says:

What fun that you can document your story to your grandchildren with your photo. :)

Princess Maxima seems so tall. And apparently she doesn’t wear a hat when she’s out like the Britsh, royal women seem to do. From the photos she seemed warm, friendly and gracious.

27. How lucky! Real royalty!

28. Wow- a real princess! I think that because we have no “official” royalty in the USA, we Americans are always so enamoured with monarchs & their heirs & extended families. It seems so fairy-tale-like; and your princess is truly of the beautiful-princess ilk. Her smile is so genuine, and it’s wonderful that she is involved in projects promoting development and equity worldwide. Truly a story to tell grandchildren. Not every day one meets up with a princess or a queen…

29. How wonderfully exciting! I’m sure it was a distinct honour; she is quite lovely and I’m sure has a new- found love for her Husband’s country. With such lovely scenery and people it’s easy to see why! :)

What a great experience! And photos to go with it too!

31. What a thrill. Live royalty. How fun is that :-)

32. What a wonderful and memorable experience!

33. Theadora says:

Malou, I love, love the top shot!! What a great story. I also like Princess Maxima’s outfit! Theadora (Years ago, I spotted Sarkozy’s motorcade near the Palais de l’Elysées. Not quite the same!)

34. machisan says:

What a great experience!

35. Something to remember for the rest of your life…what a great day!

36. A memorable experience indeed!

37. Fantastic!! She such a lovely and elegant lady. We’re lucky to have her as a crown princess :)

38. orples says:

I assure you, you will never forget this experience. I met Robert Plant (lead singer for Led Zeppelin in 1988) and spoke with him briefly. I still remember the incidence like it was yesterday.Those fond memories tend to stick with us. Lucky you! ;) The Princess looks like a real sweet lady.

39. Wow a professor and a princess – both astonishingly beautiful! Not something one tends to expect these days (being a stuffy old British man!). It must have been a very special day for you and the photos are great. I wish I had been there! :)