Pizza party at Diacceroni

Simple pizza with courgette toppings

City trip to Florence under the scorching heat was exhausting. It was great to escape and be back to the laid back countryside atmosphere at Pelagaccio and Diacceroni. We arrived at Pelagaccio after 4pm, just in time to freshen up for the 5pm pizza party at Diacceroni.

The pleasant surprise we had in staying here are the 3x per week free meals for all the guests with different themes. Saturday is for all sorts of Italian dishes – pasta, pizza, bread, tempura of aubergine, courgette and courgette blooms, bruschettas with toppings of tomatoes with olive oil and finely chopped parsley or anchovies with finely chopped garlic and mashed aubergine. As usual, we only have to pay for the drinks – beer for the guys and white wine for the ladies. Their white wine chilled to perfection is amazingly good that my mom-in-law and I always forget it has alcohol content. Cost about €6, I was early on our stay already contemplating if I would bring a couple of bottles back home. A great drink, I can taste the fruity and flowery elements in it.

The pizza party was a great experience. Everyone was there. The tables were all assembled in one long line between the olive trees forming like one continuous banquet table. We were seated at the end of the line which was perfect because we were also closest to the playground and therefore had an excellent oversight of Francesca. The little girl was in her element being among other children and at the playground. One thing that she loved about the playground here at Diacceroni was the “spring kussen” as it is called in Dutch or literally “jumping pillow” but which the Scots call “jumping castle”. She could jump to her heart’s content.

The pizzas were prepared in a special pizza hut on the grounds of Diacceroni. The hut has a wood-fired oven and the pizza was fed into it and the cooking process just took a few minutes. It was amazing how they prepare the pizza and was completely different from the way pizza has been conceptualized outside Italy. The “mamas” made the dough and just flattened them to the right thickness and then place them in rectangular trays. Toppings varied from just plain extra virgin olive oil then salt and pepper to thin slices of courgette, aubergine or red onions which were later drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. Other toppings were that of tomato sauce and capers with some bits of mozzarella cheese. Oh, I can tell you that the pizzas were the best even with just the plain dough which was airy and crispy.

One of the Italian “mamas” gave the children pieces of the pizza dough to fashion their own creations and later bake them as well in the oven. Great idea! Some kids created heart-shaped pizzas engraved with their initials. We had a great time from this pizza experience. Not being a big pizza fan, I had my initial misgivings that a pizza party can be fun. I was utterly and completely wrong!

Time flies when we are having so much fun. Soon it was time to head back to Pelagaccio as Francesca needed to go to bed. Oh well, we were in a huge dilemma to stay a bit longer because at 8.30pm, the semi-final World Cup game between Holland and Uruguay will be shown. There was no TV or internet connection at Pelagaccio.

The voice of reason prevailed so we headed back to Pelagaccio for Francesca. Opa and Oma were happy to bring her to bed (she has been sleeping with them since the start of our holiday and won’t sleep with us) so hubby and I returned to Diacceroni for the football match – on foot and with a flashlight, a must as there was no moonlight to lighten up our path nor light posts. Oh, so rural that I kept on being reminded of those early years of my childhood when there was no electricity yet and the night light came only from moonlight or those Molotov cocktails that people used then when there was a need to travel at night on foot or with the carabao-pulled carts.

To reach Diacceroni from Pelagaccio on foot was to traverse two hills and was actually a pleasant experience because we had such a splendid view of our own place silhouetted in the sunset complemented by the chirping of the crickets and the humming of the birds as they prepare to call it a day in their nests or favorite branches in the trees.

We arrived at 8.45pm, just in time for Holland’s first goal and those already there watching the games were cheering for Holland and jumping off their seats. The TV and the channel receiver were set up in the garden so it was a novel experience to watch football under the stars. I could not helped but get consumed by the raging orange fever just like everyone there of other nationalities who rooted for Holland too. At the first half of the match, it was time for more drinks. Hubby had another glass of beer while I settled for water having had half a bottle of wine already earlier.

Holland’s win over Uruguay was a great culmination to a wonderful day. Everyone had happy expression on their faces. Time to head back to Pelagaccio. Night has fallen and only the stars were there to guide us on our way back.

Pippo, the sweet dog which befriended Francesca and everyone at our place decided to come with us on our way back. He also patiently stayed with me the other day when I took a short walk to take sunset pictures of Pelagaccio. Very loyal and sweet dog on whom I’ve fallen in love too, just as Francesca and everyone have.

Walking back under the stars reminded me of one short story in my Philippine literature class, that of Manuel Arguilla’s “How my brother Leon brought home a wife”. It has been a long time since hubby and I had taken a walk together under the stars reminiscent of those days when we’ve just met each other on the beaches of El Nido in Palawan. Too romantic!

Life in the west as we call it has been about haste and expediency. It was nice to go back to the basics once in a while, to be away from the conveniences of modern life like the TV and internet, to do away with the car and instead take a hike through the hills. Without all these distractions, it was amazing to appreciate nature and life in all its simplicity – from the stars to the fireflies, to the music created by crickets, frogs and birds, the only sound that can be heard in the stillness of the night.

The hut with the wood-fired oven for baking the pizza

Francesca making her personalized pizza

Freshly-baked pizza taken out of the oven

Pizza with tomato sauce and capers

Pizzas

Trays of pizza waiting for their turn in the wood-fired oven

The pizza party guests

The little ones having fun at the “spring kussen”

The little ones at the mini-swing

The little one with oma

The little one lording it over at the slide

Hibiscus at Diacceroni

Pomegranate blooms which the kids love to pluck from the tree

A very young pomegranate fruit

Sunset at Pelagaccio

Pelagaccio as viewed from the next hill

We hiked through these hills at sunset and back late in the night

Sunset and Pelagaccio in the distance

Sunset

Tuscan sunset

Stopping for a bit of rest through our hike over the hills

Stopping for a bit of rest through our hike over the hills

42 Responses to Pizza party at Diacceroni

1. beatrix mana says:

Sounds scrumptious

2. Yummy..Malou, you always deliver!

3. Beautiful and so vividly and well-described; thank you!

4. essentjewels says:

Beautiful pictures as always!

5. The pizza’s look great but really, those sunset photo’s – wow!

6. Abby Rae says:

Ohmygoodness that pizza looks delicious!! Beautiful pictures :)

7. Oh wow! To think the pizza party was simply a way of extending the hospitality at the (place of your accommodation) and that they would go to that trouble for *pretty much free* It certainly seems like the most beautiful food filled paradise with some of the best pizza’s ever seen! I love simplicity when it comes to pizza, so the courgette with salt & pepper, or just tomato & capers definitely gets my vote :)

8. Pizzas are best when they are kept simple and honest like these, yum!!
    Gorgeous photos – thank you Malou :-)

9. i just so love your blog. your gorgeous photos, the recipes, the mentality you possess – the way you live your life. and i clearly know i’m not alone.

today on my blog i’ve given you “The Kreativ Award” for creativity in blogging!

details here: http://happyhippierose.com/2012/05/30/genius-nose-picker-slings-links-ive-been-given-the-kreativ-award/

i know that responding to blog awards can be time consuming, so do with it whatever you please. i just wanted to know i’d mentioned you, linked to you, and so on. thanks for writing such an awesome, inspiring blog! you’re great!

Excellent work Malou, your photos are beautiful and your daughter is growing so beautiful. You must be having a lot of fun I imagine! :)

11. Gilly Gee says:

Great Malou, love the pomegranate!

12. Thanks for reminding me that you can put almost anything on a pizza and it’s wonderful…courgettes, never thought of it! What lovely travels you enjoy. The scenery, and so many of your images, are breathtaking.

13. Beautiful! Looks like a wonderful day out with friends and family! :)

14. putneyfarm says:

Great photos as always. That pizza looks great!

15. I really enjoyed catching up and reading about your visit.. and then so pleased to see you’ve got photos of everything at the end. That’s quite the pizza!! And how wonderful that the kids could make their own. I think nothing is sweeter than walking under the stars with your loved one:)

16. Thanks for taking us along on your lovely vacation! It sounds heavenly and the pictures only make it seem more wonderful!

17. Love the fun pizza party pics and that Tuscan sunset! Colors of the pomegranate are so bold and vivid. Great photos!

18. 1stpeaksteve says:

I love eating pizza in Brazil because the pizza is thinner and the toppings are different. The pizza there looks to be right up my alley! I was amazed at how many people were there! What a line!

19. What a neat place to cook pizza. The pictures of the gathering, the sunset, and flowers were amazing.

Mmmmmm Pizza looks yyummmy!!

21. Kuson says:

Oh… how can i join this happy pizza party.. ^^

22. What a beautiful trip to Italy with beautiful food and drink. This makes me want to go right now. Thanks for sharing, Malou!

23. Michael Zoll says:

Wunderschöne Landschaft mit lecker Essen! Sehr schöne Fotos!

Gruß, Michael

24. Sometimes the simple (not too many toppings) pizzas are the best.

Wow…Seems like a pretty big Pizza party..:-)

25. Obviously my invitation to the pizza party got lost in the mail somewhere. Darn post office. lol

26. Don says:

That pizza party must have been absolutely fantastic. What a holiday you must have had.

Food, Italy, flowers, scenery and having a great time, life at it best – thank you so much … for taking me along.

28. Thank you Malou – I really enjoy reading about your escapades, and your photos are super, as always.

29. Anissa Mathias says:

Beautiful food, wonderful sunsets, and relaxing place. Thank you for sharing.

30. This sounds like a magnificent holiday. How long is your entire stay?

31. ladyfi says:

Looks like wonderful fun! My mouth is watering.

32. Paws To Talk says:

Yum! It looks like a fun time was had by all.
    Bella and DiDi

33. dorannrule says:

Your photos are so clear Malou, that I feel I am there.

34. chrisstov says:

Great pictures, scrumptious food and lovely scenery. Thank you.

35. EllaDee says:

Thank you so much for sharing la dolce vita.

36. hilthethrill says:

Wow! What a beautiful life! I’ve never seen a young pomegranate. I loved the long table for all of the pizza partiers! Thanks for sharing!

37. Heather says:

That pizza looks delicious! I have such food envy looking at the photos!

38. charles says: