Laid-back life under the Tuscan sun

Misty morning

After a busy day in Florence and staying late for the pizza party and the subsequent football match, we took it easy the following day, just stayed at Pelagaccio, went for a dip at the pool and simply enjoyed the laid-back Tuscan life away from the pressures of work and the rigors of daily life.

I oftentimes had to be reminded to take it easy once in a while and as we were here for two weeks, there was plenty of time still for sightseeing. Francesca’s needs should also be given top consideration. Hers were different from our own and the trips to busy places were not her thing. She just loves it here choosing among several alternatives at her disposal – swimming at the pool, playing at the playground, cycling on her trike or assembling her lego blocks and puzzles.

It was again a very misty morning and I’ve been meaning since a few days ago to take some pictures of this phenomenon. It was always misty in the morning due to the temperature drop during the night and it was amazing to observe how the mist eventually disappeared as the fierce Tuscan sun made its way.

What a lovely sight to see when the hills were all covered in mist, even Pelagaccio was hardly visible from the pool which was but a few yards away. I found myself taking pictures not just of the landscape around me but of the flowers which after the routine morning watering looked like they had just been kissed by the rain.

After breakfast, it was time for a dip in the pool. I joined for a short while but did not linger because my left foot which has blister from previous day’s hike over the hills (I did not wear proper shoes in that hike) was irritated by the lightly salted pool water. I don’t know why but the pool water here was a bit salty. Francesca as usual, had a grand time especially when opa and oma later came and joined in on the fun.

I volunteered to instead prepare lunch, inspired by the meal I had in Florence the day before. We still had left over bread from which I could make the bruschetta. From the grocery this morning, I got some parsley and tomatoes. Wow, lunch turned out to be a great success!

To make the bruschetta, I sliced the bread to about half an inch thickness and sprinkled that with extra virgin olive oil and added a small amount of finely chopped garlic. In essence, bruschetta is garlic bread. I fried/roasted the bread in a flat-bellied Teflon pan till it was brown and crispy. For the toppings, I chopped some tomatoes, added some finely chopped garlic and parsley, extra virgin olive oil and seasoned that with salt and pepper. With some chilled white wine to down the bruschetta al pomodori with, we all had a great fill and then it was time for the afternoon siesta.

At about 5pm, hubby and Francesca were again back at the pool for that before dinner swim to create some appetite especially for the little girl who has all the time for playing but no time for food. She reminded me of my own childhood where when the opportunity to play arises, eating and other considerations would surely take a back seat. Oh well, we had to make the most of this opportunity which is not an every day thing. Having a pool at our disposal, a playground and to top it all, the time to unwind and forget the rigors of daily life are rare pleasures for which we should spare time to savor.

Dinner that night was hubby’s turf – pasta. He made used of penne and prepared a very yummy red sauce made from sautéing garlic, onions, tinned peeled tomatoes and some leftover salami. He got some dried mushrooms from the grocery this morning but did not use that because it required 20 minutes soaking in cold water for which he had no time. There was also no basil leaves from that small shop so he made use of parsley which was just as nice. On the side was the mozzarella cheese with fresh tomatoes sprinkled with olive oil, salt and pepper and topped with more chopped parsley. I made some more garlic bread from the leftovers. A bottle of chilled white wine proved to be an excellent companion to our splendid dinner under the trees.

Visibility of just a few meters — the mist shrouds the hills farther

Misty morning

The sun peering through the mist

Misty morning … hills in the distance not visible

View of the Tuscan countryside once the mist was gone

pink blooms

Pale yellow Tuscan rose

Pink Tuscan rose

Pink oleander

Courgette bloom

Orange daisy

Pale yellow Tuscan rose

Unripe grapes

Rosebud

Drops

A spider in its web

A yellow butterfly perched on lavender blooms

A white butterfly

White butterfly in transit

Busy bee

Busy bee

Father and daughter at the pool

Little girl and oma

Little girl and oma

Pool fun with the grandparents

Hubby on the inflatable dolphin

The dolphin flipped over ;-)

The little girl has more expertise on handling the dolphin than her father

Francesca with opa and oma

Bruschetta made from leftover bread

Hubby’s version of salade caprese

Penne with tomato sauce and salami

45 Responses to Laid-back life under the Tuscan sun

1. I want to be packed in a piece of your luggage so I can experience your travels too. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with me!

2. sillyliss says:

The picture of fingers in ears and Oma’s expression is just priceless!

I love your photos with the drain drops …. the spider with its net – so beautiful and so the grapes. Always been a fan of your bugs, There is so much beauty even in mist and rain. You’re so talent … with your flowers. It’s so enjoyable to take part of your posts.

Thanks a lot, Viveka. There’s just so much to see out there and taking a bit of closer look always reveal so many nice surprises. ;-)

4. Beautiful, truly beautiful – I do love those misty mornings, and how they leave everything strung with wet!!!

Everything looks great Malou! You took beautiful pictures! :)

6. Patti Bryant says:

You have some wonderful photos here. Just beautiful. Thank you! ~Patti

Mmmmm yum!Food looks so good. The fog shots are nice, slowly revealing the distant hills. :)

8. Looks like heaven. What a beautiful caprese salad too!

9. Great pictures of Tuscan morning, thanks. The caprese salad looks scrumptious, too. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

10. Gilly Gee says:

Oooh it al looks lovely from flowers to food :-)

11. Great pictures! Glad I found your blog. I love the picture of the Tuscany hills. Looks so peaceful.

12. Lovely! So many great pictures too. But – top photo here is the one with Oma & Francesca :)

13. Angeline M says:

Wonderful photos. Wish I was there!!

14. Danny says:

I always love your photos and how they just capture the moments! Enjoy!

15. Imelda Evans says:

Such beautiful pictures! Love the one of Oma! And the food! And the flowers! And… okay, raving now, will stop. But it was a lovely burst of summer in the cold of our winter. Thanks!

16. LubbyGirl says:

love, love, L O V E those flower and bee photos!!!!

17. EllaDee says:

Wonderfu photos & post. I love the Busy Bee, and your dinner etc looks divine. I’ve just started reading a(nother) Marlena De Blasi novel, so I’m there in spirit.

18. eclegein says:

NIce write up and excellent photos, especially the foliage with dewdrops!

19. Another great post Malou…I hope to see these places one day…Jenny

20. Your blog posts transcend me to places I can only imagine. Thank you for sharing the remarkable photos and stories of your travels. How blessed you are!

21. Desi Chick says:

You have a gift for capturing beauty with your camera. Great job Malou!

22. The picture so the misty morning are beautiful! The pasta looks delicious and I am sure it was. Great photos :)
    Ashley

23. Jane says:

Looks like a great time! I love the picture of the bee! :)

24. Beautiful flower photos. The hovering bee is gorgeous.

25. Lovely photos from travels and flowers:), thanx for sharing!

26. chrisstov says:

Beautiful flower shots and those lovely rain drops. Rain drops on flowers certainly bring out the wow factor.

27. Christina says:

Thank you for the gift of these peaceful and beautiful photos which brightened my rainy morning. Those photos of bees in flight are amazing. Loved the tranquility of your shot of flowers along the fence in the mist; it made me sigh aloud. Those grapes in the rain were a genius idea, so succulent. Brava Malou!

28. Sara says:

Hi Malou – Thanks for recommending using a Teflon® non-stick pan while making your Bruschetta. I represent DuPont and it’s always a pleasure to see people recommending our products in their recipes.

If you are interested in some other recipes to look at for your blog, visit http://www.scribd.com/TeflonBrand! Thanks. Cheers, Sara

29. You always make everything so fun and beautiful :)

30. TimCC says:

Those images truly capture the spirit of the early morning.

31. Gorgeous! Love the misty hills. Looks both romantic and mysterious.

32. Amy says:

You really capture the beauty of a misty morning and those flowers. Thanks for sharing, Malou!

33. Rhoda Kirwan says: