The Leaning Tower of Pisa

The Duomo and the leaning tower of Pisa

After a lazy day yesterday of just being at the pool and not having anything else on the itinerary, we decided to do some sightseeing in Pisa, a place whose claim to fame is its leaning tower. It’s a case of “been there, done that” kind of thing that we can cross off our lists of what to see in Tuscany.

Pisa was about an hour’s drive from Pelagaccio (40+ kilometers with about 20 kilometers on secondary road and the rest was through the highway). The trip took us a bit longer because I got distracted by the sight of sunflower fields with the perfect backdrop and wanted to take some pictures. Unfortunately, the fields that I saw were not accessible, being barricaded by road blocks. Another time I’ll be lucky!

When we reached Pisa, the temperature was hitting the 40’s (Celsius) so it was not so pleasant to go around exploring an unfamiliar place with a very young child. My father-in-law Dad couldn’t stand crowds and busy places, my mom-in-law couldn’t stand the heat and was prone to hyperventilation.

We found a parking area which was pretty close, about 2 blocks away from the Torre Pendente (the Leaning Tower). I had mixed emotions in seeing the tower with my own eyes for the first time. It was like stepping into a dream because I never thought that I would even see this place for real. What came to mind was a story in my high school science class of Galileo conducting an experiment of dropping two objects of different mass from the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa to test his theory of gravity.

The tower was not as high as those other towers where I´ve been but the leaning was very obvious. What was striking about the place itself was the amazing contrast of all the elements – the tower and the duomo were all built from white marble that glistened against the blue sky creating an amazing picture.

Pisa was extremely busy with many people all wanting to execute poses of either holding off the tower from leaning further or of holding the tower from top to bottom in their hands. I tried to do the same but wasn´t very good at it as you can see from my pictures. My father-in-law won´t do that pose either but my mom-in-law did her own version.

After the photoshoot with the tower in the background, we decided to see the interior of the duomo. Unfortunately, we needed to first get entry tickets which were being sold at the museum about 100 meters away. Hubby went to get the tickets while we waited in the shade at the church entrance.

The interior of the duomo was impressive with those frescoes, paintings and murals that really told much of its history. Francesca loved it being inside the duomo although she also did naughty stuffs — jumping, talking too loud, pointing at things she found interesting and climbing the pews. It was very strict there when it came to the dress code – visitors who were deemed inappropriately dressed such as women in sleeveless blouses and plunging necklines were asked to put on the light blue blouses that can cover their naked arms and cleavages.

After the church visit, it was time for lunch. We found a restaurant nearby where we can rest our tired feet and chill out after the exasperating heat outside. The menu was simple and the prices were reasonable considering that the restaurant location was a typical tourist trap. Hubby and his mom opted for pizza, Dad for tuna sandwich, the little girl had her fries with fried eggs sunny side up and I settled for the grilled shrimps and squid on a bed of salad. I truly enjoyed my meal especially as I can dissect and suck the shrimp heads Pinoy style with gusto. Lunch was capped with some cappuccino and of course, tiramisu which was really yummy. The bottom was an ice cream, again a different version from the tiramisu that I´ve eaten before.

Then it was time to head back to Pelagaccio as the little girl needed her afternoon nap for we had an invite for the pasta party at Diacceroni in the afternoon.

The Baptistry, the Duomo and the Leaning Tower of Pisa

The Duomo and the Leaning Tower

My parents-in-law

My family minus me

Holding off the tower but missed! ;-)

Father and daughter

Our family

Holding off the tower from further leaning…

The leaning tower

Top of the tower

Details of the main door of the Duomo

Duomo interior

Duomo interior

Duomo interior

Duomo interior

Duomo interior

Duomo interior

Taking a break…

Intricate craftmanship

The confessional

Church ceiling

One of the altars — Madonna and child

The altar

Oma and Francesca

Couldn’t resist being a child inside the Duomo…

The little girl and her tricks…

Horsey encounter… ;-)

The little girl and the Baptistry behind

Part of the wall surrounding the Duomo

Detail of the wall inside the restaurant

Grilled seafood on a bed of salad

Pizza

Souvenir items

Fake designer bags being peddled by African immigrants — they almost took my camera because they don’t want this picture taken

Father and daughter making a purchase…

…wiggly spiky ball

Funny aprons ;-)

Funny aprons… ;-)

Trying a hat…

85 Responses to The Leaning Tower of Pisa

1. guenbt says:

Nice photos.

2. Malou magayunun maray!

3. Michael Zoll says:

Schöner Beitrag mit schönen Bildern! Danke, Michael

Have always thought the tower was much higher than so … the photo of the church ceiling is fantastic – and I love all the street photos – it’s like I can hear the buzzy around you and with that heat outside …. I can see you all enjoy the chillness in the church. Beautiful photos again.

It’s funny how some things are better in our imagination than in reality. Pisa was just too touristic for me but it has to be crossed-out in my must-see list. ;-)

5. Well, I was quite happy to leave Pisa. The tower and the piazza are very nice, but somehow very unreal. I prefer the little towns, they are much more real to me.

We share the same view. Pisa is one of those places that we need to see once and then move on. I love the small towns which have more character. ;-)

6. Lovely photo’s! I have the cheesy ‘holding up the tower’ photos too! Your family looks like you had such a happy day ;-) Heather

7. I have a question! It’s leaning from the exterior view….does it lean too interiorly??? Really makes me curious!!

8. Looks like a fun family day, despite the heat: the Duomo is breathtaking, no? But the pizza and seafood look darn good, too! Thank you!

9. Madhu says:

Wow! Gorgeous photos!

Your pictures compositions are excellent Malou! I love them! :)

11. I have to say I have taken a lot of images from here which I have not yet edited – you have inspired me t return and dig around them – the people are a pain though would be lovely to walk around on a quiet day but I don’t imagine they have them :-)

12. stickyquote says:

Love the photos…

13. Lulu says:

Even with all the crowds, isn’t it wonderful to have the world open up to you. I so envy your being in italy.

14. Lovely photo’s of a place I hope to one day see is person. Agree the small towns and out of the way places are preferred but the tower is something I too read about in school and would like to see. Judith

15. rumpydog says:

Fantastic photos my friend. I confess I’ve known about the tower my entire life but have never taken the time to learn much about it. I’ve learned much from you just now, so thanks!!!

16. galuhanjani says:

I’m “wow” with the pic of the fake designer bags ..

17. RDoug says:

A beautiful day there. I took Ursula there twelve years ago as part of a nine-day bus tour of Italy. Unfortunately, photography (at least mine) doesn’t reveal the true extent at which the tower leans. It looked much closer to toppling when viewed live.\

18. Wonderful account of your trip! Thanks for sharing such great pictures. Italy is on my short list of places to visit and your travel log makes even more excited to get there someday!

19. zelmare says:

Liked the tour. The church ceiling and altar are so beautiful!! :)

20. I would love to visit there some day…
    Thanks for always sharing your travels.
    Love the red dress – you look fab!

21. kentiki says:

Oh wow, fantastic trip! And it looks like there weren’t so many people that you couldn’t get great shots. Way to go!

I didn’t even know you could go to the top of the tower at all.

22. I’ve never been there..shame on me with my Italian heritage. These are the best photos I’ve seen of it.

23. Jane says:

Very cool! Good job holding up the tower :)

As always, a fantastic crop of photos! The church is absolutely beautiful inside. I’m impressed by your physical strength, being able to push the tower back some. :)

25. kiwidutch says:

The Duomo is a lot bigger than I imagined it was… stunning!
    I love the look of the leaning tower but if I’m really honest the the Duomo would be higher on my “to see” list :)

26. Gilly Gee says:

The Duomo is fantastic and I’m struck by the simplicity of the confessional! Thanks for sharing your journey dear Malou.

27. vimal says:

nice pics :-)
    the interiors of the duomo especially.

28. I spent 3 months in Tuscany in Cortona with the University of Georgia. The there were 2 goals that I had before I left America, Pompeii and Pisa, neither of which I got to see. Thank you for your posting, I feel like I was there with you visiting the town!!

29. I found the baptistery magical when I visited. Your photos of the duomo are super.

30. Great photos & it’s a good thing you held back that tower! I hear you’ve saved it because it’s still standing.

31. You have added to my bucket list!!!

32. Lovely photos. It’s a long time since I visited Pisa – makes we want to visit again!

33. pbnb says:

Thanks for the like and the follow, very jealous of your trip to Pisa!

x.

34. janinevasta says:

I love the last shot of your mother-in law and her new hat, Malou! What a wonderful experience for you all to share together.

35. In His Image Photography says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog!!! I LOVE the photography on yours!! In this post you “holding up” the tower is really awesome!!! -April

36. orples says:

I can not begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. Your photographs are stunning. You really gave me/us wonderful insight into the Tower and the surrounding buildings. Then the inside details … simply marvelous,showing the detail of the craftsmanship displayed. The intricacies of these structures really is mind-boggling … especially if you zoom in and out of the ‘church ceiling’ shot a few times. LOL . you should try it. ;)

I also love the way you ended this set of shots with the street scenes … especially those aprons. What a hoot! You have a lovely family. May you all be blessed. Thank you so much for taking the time to organize and post these photos for everyone to enjoy. Truly, this is a wonderful share. Thank you.

37. sillyliss says:

It’s hilarious that you can see people in the background doing their various perspective shots with the tower. I didn’t know that was part of the normal tourist’s experience!

Loved the pictures of Duomo, too. You travel to so many interesting places. Had your in-laws been there before?

38. Don says:

Magnificent architecture. The photo of you “holding off the tower” is so good.

39. notacluegal says:

Wonderful photos – I doubt I will ever get there and I am thankful for you sharing your experience.

40. Jane says:

So fun to see your family in Pisa. I cherish my photographs of my two daughters “holding up the tower”! Great memories to have :-)

41. 40 degrees! Oh my gosh. I would have been melting!

It must have been surreal to see the tower in person. It’s really different than how I pictured it. I didn’t think the façade was so detailed!

And I think that you did a great job holding up the tower. Bravo, Malou!

42. Carine says:

Hello,

I’ve nominated you for the Illuminating Blogger Award: http://bookscupcakescats.wordpress.com/2012/06/03/1-2-3-sunshine-award-time/

You can learn more about the award there: http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award

43. ladyfi says:

More wonderful shots! Impressive architecture and lovely details from the inside.

The misty shots are gorgeous too.

44. Love the shots of Duomo interior.

Thanks,

Vic

45. ruthkeys says:

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Love your pictures :)

46. Fun… we did sort of a wham bam thank you ma’m of Pisa too. Very cool to see but sort of a check on the list. Poor town of Pisa!

47. chrisstov says:

Great pictures. Must have taken some doing pushing the tower back up.

48. Carine says:

Hello,

49. Beautiful pictures! I didn’t realize how ornate the tower was. Thank you for sharing your travels with us. :-)

50. Such amazing architecture and art. It would take months to look at it all!

51. That ceiling is gorgeous!

52. You’re such an adorable family! And you make Pisa look more fun than I’ve imagined before.

53. Wow! I really want to see this now!

54. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK You ! I’m visiting my dream place with you! Thank you soooo much! Deborah

55. lily says:

I have just finished perusing all of your posts of Italy and gazing at your beautiful photographs. It was lovely to travel with you, Malou! Thank you so much for sharing.
    Wishing you happiness ~ Lily

56. sugali says:

Incredible, awesome pictures. Thank you for sharing

57. Incredible pictures! I’ve never seen so many giving such detailed views. Thanks for this. Another place I REALLY want to visit sometime. Glad you enjoyed your time there with your family :)

58. Pete Denton says:

Great photographs. I’m finding the church ceiling shot mesmeric. And, where would we be without fridge magnets? You can get them everywhere of everything :)

59. Everything is beautiful and looks so big! I love the picture of everyone sitting down, nap time! Haha great pictures :-)

60. I enjoyed the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I made reservations to climb to the top and it was a very fun experience! Something, I too, can cross off my list now!

61. My sons like the spiky rubber balls too. I guess they have international appeal.

62. The Boy! says:

Cool aprons! I know I would have got one.

63. J says:

Awesome, Malou! Thanks for the first-person narration of your trip to the Leaning Tower of Pisa with lovely pictures. I now have a feeling that I’ve seen it too! :)

64. soumyav says:

HI Malou! Always impressed by the range and variety of photgraphs that you present that vividly give a sense and feeling of travelling with you.. Iam nominating you for this award! :-) http://wp.me/p1Zs7k-qQ

65. This brings back great memories!

66. I didn’t get to see inside the Duomo when we were there, looks quite spectacular inside from your photos! I felt it was a shame really that the leaning tower took the focus when the other buildings were so beautiful also.

67. Bron says:

I know what you mean about when you see the tower for the first time! Did you go inside the Baptistry? It looks quite nondescript but it has magical acoustics which the staff demonstrate at regular intervals, it gave me goosebumps. Lovely photos, so nice and sunny. :)

68. Such beautiful photos! Lovely to visit Italy through your lens, thank you!

69. restlessjo says:

Delightful photographs and I love your family! Apologies are owed because I thought I was following you from some time ago but I’m having a few WordPress “misunderstandings”.

70. mamadou says:

Hopefully one day I will be here visiting the wonderful creature of the world!
    Thanks for sharing

71. luvsclassics says:

Hi, Malou, I’m stopping by once again to visit your blog. I visited Italy many years ago ( time flies) during High school Easter break. Thank-you for all of your photographs.
    I’m pretty sure I saw the interior of the Duomo, but I don’t have a single picture. Those days, my simple point and shoot camera was good for outdoors.
    My favorite religious pictures are the Church ceiling, the candles in front of the Madonna and child painting, “the alter” with the magnificent religious paintings. Your many photos of the marble structures brings me back to the memory of how Impressed I was of the huge marble columns withing the churches.
    P.S. would love to sample your luncheon of grilled seafood on the salad! :)