French pride on their local products

I envy the French on their pride for everything French and it is no wonder that the local industry is alive and well. Local markets and shops selling traditional French products are everywhere and I am always drawn to them. There are times that I need to remind myself that my eyes seem bigger than my tummy at those mouthwatering goodies of theirs.

Every region takes pride of their local products which also show what are endemic in the area.  Wines, pates, cheeses, sweets, sausages, honey, hand-painted chinas, baskets, etc. are just among the many things that can be found in these shops.

Here are some snapshots of the local goods on one of the local shops beside a petrol station along the French peage.

I could have taken more pictures but I was later told that it was actually forbidden to take pictures inside the shop. ;-)

French wines

French wines and spirits

Various types of honey

Various sorts of caramels

Caramels

Cookies and sweets

French hand-painted chinas

Hand-painted ceramics

Hand-painted ceramics

Various shop merchandise

56 Responses to French pride on their local products

1. faz says:

haha i am amazed at how many pictures you managed to take before they stopped you!

2. They have a huge pride in their terroir! You couldn’t sample everything in one lifetime.

3. Don says:

Wonderful little shop Malou. France is quite something.

4. Wonderful photos. I love pictures of food :)

5. EllaDee says:

I wish we had shops like this next to service stations in Australia ;)

Great photos again – wouldn’t go so far and say that all shops looks like this – but good products they have – they have such nice way to look at life – just like the italian – the food, drinks and friendship is really more important than what shape their houses and gardens are. Very socialable people the french and italians. Beautiful photos from a beautiful shop. The French use all senses.

Thanks a lot, Viveka. I truly agree with you. The French have their own way of looking at life and beauty. I love the country and will never grow tired going there. There’s always something new to discover. ;-)

7. We were on bikes on our trip in June-http://cyclingrandma.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/dordogne-cycling-chateaus-cows-chocolate-shoes-2/
    So couldn’t do that much shopping ! But loved the little shops!

That must be a lot of fun to see the Dordogne on your bike. Lots to see especially the many chateaus (in this area known as the land of 1,001 chateaus) and the lovely markets and little shops. ;-)

8. RDoug says:

I’ve found the French to be funny about have photographs taken of their merchandise unless you ask beforehand. One woman actually accosted me and grabbed for my camera . . . and that was at an outdoor market.

OMG! Look at all those goodies! I love wine, cheese, pate, chocolate, sweets! You’re lucky Malou to be able to visit such nice places. Thanks for sharing! :)

You will love these shops and their goodies that your eyes will be far bigger than your tummy. I used to hoard a lot of the stuffs from these shops before but has learned to now control that by taking pictures. ;-)

10. zelmare says:

Awesome…I just love shops like that!!! :)

11. Did they give any explanation for the ‘forbidden pictures’ rule?

12. ah .. lovely memories .. lovely shops .. thanks for sharing …

I’m glad you were able to take the pictures! I had the same experience when we lived in Japan. I wandered around my local grocery store taking pictures to share with people back home only to be told later that that was against the rules. I still treasure those photos!

14. RoSy says:

Great – you caught some pictures anyway ;)
    Lots of goodies there!

15. Great pictures and thanks for letting us know about the no picture rule…I had no idea.

16. dorannrule says:

An amazing array…. great pictures Malou!

17. Great photos & I’m glad you didn’t get arrested…you didn’t get arrested did you?

Ha, ha, ha! No, I did not get arrested. One time though, I was chased by an Orthodox priest in Crete for taking pictures in the courtyard of the Greek Orthodox Church. To be chased by this guy with long beard made me almost collapse in fear while my husband couldn’t control his laughter. ;-)

18. Great photos! They make me miss France. I’m glad that you managed to snap shots of the store before they intervened!

19. simplycessie says:

Hi Malou! Nice posts and pics as always. For whatever it’s worth, I nominated your blog for the One Lovely Blog Award :) http://simplycessie.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/first-lovely/ :)

20. Mike Sinnott says:

Wonderful sight, those products are really inviting. Top local products and well displayed. I would definitely spend money in that shop. Nice pics, they should have paid you for the publicity!

Love many things French! We are kindred spirits!

22. Isn’t that the truth about reminding yourself that your eyes are bigger than your tummy! But sometimes when you see so much good stuff, it’s hard to remember that!!!

That’s true, Alisa. I still have a good hoard of French stuffs in the store room and they come in handy when we need emergency stuffs especially on wintery days and we’re too lazy to go to the shop. Tinned pate on biscuits downed with white wine on a stormy autumn evening is always nice for instance (that’s how I sell the idea to the Mr. who has to carry the stuffs). ;-)

23. Pingback: Tofu Coop | I am NOT an urban hippie

24. Oh the wine!! yum… :)

25. EJ says:

Yes, Malou, the French do take great pride in their products – and rightly so given the generally high quality of their products.

As to photography in public places, France has strict privacy laws (yes, the same country where Diana was chased by paparazzi and Kate M has now had her private holiday photos printed) and the French are generally very sensitive about their right to privacy. That’s probably why it’s the foreign celebrities who get hounded by paparazzi there. By the way, one of my French friends once told me about an incident when he took a photo of some landmark in Paris and a woman happened to pass by. The woman demanded that she hand him the film! Personally I am always very careful when I’m taking photos with people in them in France or elsewhere. I myself wouldn’t want my photo landing in some stranger’s Facebook page without my permission.

26. Sally says:

I am green with envy! I lived in Italy for a year and they, like the French, take pride in their own products. I miss the fresh fruit and veg, the excellent cuts of meat, cheese and of course, the sublime cakes. Here in Jakarta most everything is fried or American-influenced; vegetables are rare in restaurants!