Camping life

Dinner time – our simple dinner fare consisted of rice, fried mackerel and salad

From the chateau to the tent — that’s many notches downgrade to our accommodation but we truly love going to the basics.  To our little girl, the tent is more fun than the chateau and she can do a trade-in anytime.  She was actually least happy at the chateau because the other guests were all senior people so aside from the dogs, she had no one to play with.  At the camp, she was in her best element having made friends easily with the other kids, notwithstanding the language barrier.

Dinner preparation — rice and fried mackerel

Fried mackerel

Fresh salad

Card game and warm drinks while waiting for the fresh bread that will be available at 8:30 am.

Sampling the croissant

Our little camper

At the camp playground with other children

Lots of fun between these two girls though one speaks Dutch and the other one is French

A friendship is born despite the language barrier

Two girls enjoying a beautiful friendship

These two girls tried table tennis but …. most times were busy picking the ball from the ground

Very determined table tennis players

54 Responses to Camping life

1. She’s growing up a very beautiful little girl. They’re always happier with kids and camping, as long as it doesn’t rain all the time, is one of their favourite things. Glad you had such fun.

It’s so wonderful to see a happy couple enjoying a decent life and giving a real family time to their beautiful daughter. By writing you blog and sharing your family’s happy moments you’re setting a great example for other families, wherever thy may reside in the world. It’s possible to leave in peace and decency and be happy! Thanks Malou! :)

3. This brings back happy memories of our own time camping with our kids, thanks, Malou!

4. scroungelady says:

Your daughter is right – camping is more fun! She is growing into a beautiful young lady. My husband would love the fried mackerel.

Outdoor life and meeting new friends in the camp are amazing experiences that children should have. My daughter is really cherishing her memories of these camping experiences.

Fried mackerel with just salt and pepper – simple fare but really yummy. ;-)

5. sillyliss says:

So sweet that she makes friends so easily. I wish it were like that for adults. :)

6. Reggie says:

Your little one is totally adorable – I particularly like that photo of her and her new-found friend. Camping is definitely fun!

Thanks a lot, Reggie. I love their innocent giggles too, to think that there is a language barrier between them, I’m astounded by the universality of friendship. ;-)

• Reggie says:

I agree – I think kids are amazing like that, they don’t seem to mind at all that they don’t have the same words for things. A lovely inspiring post.

7. Audrey says:

Love this! Your girl is lovely and it looks like a great time spent with family!

8. Carol Welsh says:

Beautiful family and wonderful photos… :-)

9. Fresh bread on a camping trip? How did you manage that? I notice that nifty little stove you’ve got, love it.
    Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous & I can’t believe how much she’s grown just in the time I’ve begun following your blog. What a sweetie & she looks like she had a grand time.
    We used to camp when I was young but then it was a lot more rustic than what your trip looks like. But I do remember it being so much fun to just be outdoors all day long.

The nice thing about camping in France is that you can order the bread and croissant the night before at the camp shop. The pooled orders are relayed to the village baker who will deliver the bread shortly before 8:30 in the morning.

Time flies, Diane. My little girl can now cycle and has even taken her first riding lesson last Saturday.

There are many types of camping available and indeed there are the more rustic ones still. We go to the more organized ones because of our little girl but we’ve done more basic camping in the past too. ;-)

• Oh, I had visions of you kneading bread outdoors & was wondering how you managed that.
        The riding lessons must be really exciting for her – has she asked you to buy her a horse yet?

She’d love to but we don’t have a space for a pony. I’m happy to just bring her to the riding school which is just cycling distance from our place.

10. The Laotian Commotion says:

Ok, that’s probably the fanciest camping I’ve ever seen! ;)

11. I might add that camping is an upgrade – getting out into nature & all its beauty is my favorite! Great pix.

Your little camper, is just getting more and more .. beautiful. It looks like she are going to be tall like dad. Great shot again – those fried mackerel looks good. I remember when I lived in Gothenburg and we where out fishing spring mackerel – they where so fresh they jumped in the pan. Never been a camper person, but I know so many people that camps and they love it. Maybe I missed out on something. I have been out in tent as a “soldier” 3 days at the time .. just perfect amount for me. *smile Thanks for bringing me here.

13. janinevasta says:

A holiday made in Heaven Malou…. At least for one happy camper!!!

Your camping trip is still too civilized.

15. Wonderful pictures! You look like you had a terrific camping holiday :)

16. Some beautiful pictures and it’s very evident of the fun they were having together.

17. Your blog’s putting me in the camping mood. At least our weather’s cooling enough that camping and hiking are a possibility. Looked like you all had a great time.

18. Expat Alien says:

Wow! Doesn’t look like you are roughing it TOO much!! :)

No, this is a very leisurely type of camping with all the trappings of modern life still (electricity and even wi-fi in designated area within the camp site). What we did not have was a television but I was glad for the respite from that. ;-)

19. ShimonZ says:

I agree with your little girl, I often enjoy camping more than luxurious conditions. And it does seem like you had it very nice.

Simple pleasures in life — children see that in all their innocence. Having a child is being taught again to revisit our youth and the pleasures we seemed to have forgotten from the simple things in life. ;-)

20. zelmare says:

I’m not a keen camper myself, but I can imagine that it would be the most fun for children. Looks like fun was had by all!! :)

One can either love or hate camping. I have friends and colleagues who don’t understand why we love it and the sheer idea that we have to use the common toilet and bathroom freak them out. Still, we feel that we can’t shortchanged our little girl of this amazing experience. ;-)

21. EllaDee says:

Great images – fun. Fish, rice and salad is one of my favourites…mmmm. :)

22. I especially love the sweet friendship of two little girls. Beautiful and heartwarming. Your baby is a flower. Sharon

23. Lovely images of a precious time and the food looks great as well. I must remember to clean my tent before packing it away for the winter.

24. It’s good to be versatile. I love children at that age… Language is no barrier. We can learn so much.

25. What terrific family time!