Discovering the Atlantic

First glimpse of the Atlantic Ocean

I grew up in a country bounded on one side by the Pacific and the other side by the South China Sea. Imagine turquoise blue waters and coconut-tree lined beaches with powdery white sand… yes, the classic definition of paradise.

The Atlantic on the other hand, paints a totally different picture. Forget the coconut trees (this place is too cold for that) but there is certainly lots of charm in its beaches whose sheer breadth is astounding, its golden sand that’s an amazing contrast to its turquoise blue waters and the dunes dotted with amazing flora.

We had a lovely time discovering this piece of paradise on earth. No busy structures along the beach, no ships or boats in the horizon and save for a few others soaking in the sun, this place was totally our own.

Wide beach and hilly dunes

The road leading to the ocean – tough on the calves but the sheer beauty of this place was worth the hard walk

The Atlantic Ocean from the dunes

The dunes with its amazing flora and the blue waters of the Atlantic

One of the many interesting floras in the dunes

The beach, the dunes and the immense sky

The ocean, beach and dunes underneath the immense sky

The beach, the ocean and the immense sky

Golden sand, turquoise water and blue skies

The dunes and the Atlantic Ocean

Father and daughter heading to the beach

Footprints in the sand

Despite the absence of coconut trees, the Atlantic has other charms like this dune teeming with amazing flora

The Atlantic and its dunes

Shells…

Father and daughter all poised to test the water

The little girl attempting to surf (inspired by a Barbie film she’d seen)

The little girl with her Dora floater

Our shelter from the sun and wind in this very empty beach

Our family

Our family

Fun in the sand

Sheer delight for the little girl

Father and daughter

Papa’s girl

Papa’s girl

Father and daughter enjoying the water

93 Responses to Discovering the Atlantic

1. Great pictures! I live very near to the Atlantic Ocean in Canada, and in fact am sitting on my cottage deck right now watching the water. It’s very cloudy today and rain threatens again, so I haven’t gone down to the beach for my usual daily walk, but I may still do it as I need to hunt for more sea glass.

Glad to see that you enjoyed your trip to the Atlantic–what country were you in?

Thanks a lot, Sylvia. Wow, that’s a lovely place where you live. This part of the Atlantic is in France, in a place called Cap Ferret which is further south of Brittany. ;-)

2. Looks beautiful. It looks so much like a place I went to on the other side of that ocean I thought it was…then I noticed it was filed under France.

3. Solveig says:

Lovely post and joyful photos! :) The beach looks just like the one where I live. The shelter looks very cosy!

Thanks a lot, Solveig. You are lucky with the place where you live. To see the ocean every day, my daughter will trade places with you. ;-)

• Solveig says:

Yes I am lucky with that. :) But it’s not very comforting to be on the beach when there’s stormy weather, like it’s very often here in Norway, haha. :)

4. So, after your travels in Italy – this must have been quite different! The French Atlantic coast is quite wonderful but the weather can let you down. You have some lovely shots there but perhaps the locals were hiding indoors? Not sure why as the sand and sea look lovely.

Yes, the temperature with the Atlantic influence can drop a great deal. We were quite fearful that we will have bad weather as that is something quite unpredictable in that area. We were lucky still that most days the weather was nice save for one evening when it rained very hard.

We were there before the French holiday started so it was still not so busy. ;-)

5. Jorie says:

Looks like so much fun!

6. afzaljohar says:

Wonderful pictures! You have got an amazing eye. Good wishes for your family.
    Kind regards

7. As you approach the equator, the coconut trees reappear along the Atlantic Ocean; at least in the Southern Untied States. Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing.

8. So nice to see the ocean. We live 100’s of miles from the Atlantic. Thanks

9. Alexa says:

beautiful photos!

10. rumpydog says:

We just moved near the Gulf of Mexico and I love the beach!

11. It’s amazing how empty the beach was! Lovely! How great.

12. EllaDee says:

Lovely images. Interesting this is the Atlantic, as it looks like so many east coast Australia beaches.

13. Bella Remy Photography says:

Such a beautiful beach! Almost looks like Florida

14. RoSy says:

Ahhh…The beauty in your posts!
    LOVE the pic with your daughter – Fun in the sand & then the close-up – Cute :)

15. artbycamila says:

What can I say??? This is just so beautiful! There is something about the pictures you take… something like “magic”… you know something else… besides, is so good to see your daughter growing up!! And the bond between father and daughter… What a lovely family!! God bless!!

16. janinevasta says:

You three are just gorgeous Malou! What fabulous memories!

I had no idea that the European side of the Atlantic looked so similar to parts of the North American coast that I have visited!

18. ShimonZ says:

There are many different versions of paradise… and often we find a variation of what we’ve gotten used to, most gratifying. I love the look of this beach, and the fauna close to the pounding of the waves… and so much empty space. It does look like a sublime pleasure.

In many ways, paradise as in beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Shimon. I thought that tropical beaches were far lovelier but then it is just not fair to compare them. They have their own merits which should be considered independent of each other. The sheer space and emptiness of this beach gave me a different perspective of things and after such busy days juggling career and the domestic life, escaping to this place was simply heaven. ;-)

19. I miss the beach soooo much! These pictures were fab. You all look so lovely and your little girl is so pretty. Wonderful post again! :)

20. Meenakshi says:

The water looks so pristine! I love looking at non-tropical beaches…I am also surrounded by water and coconut trees. For some reason, these beaches look less ‘busy.’

I love tropical and non-tropical beaches — both are special in their own way. Here, what I love the most was the sheer breadth and feeling of emptiness of the beach. ;-)

21. Wonderful photos! Some of the pictures remind me more of the Gulf of Mexico than the Atlantic that I remember from Maine and Massachusetts, USA. There the Atlantic has rock – no, boulders rather than all that sand!

22. zelmare says:

Gorgeous pictures, Malou! :)

23. Deb Platt says:

Lovely photos! It’s surprising that so few people were there.

24. scroungelady says:

Beautiful photos. The beach resembles several on east US coast. The Atlantic may lack your home’s tropical setting, but it has a beauty and mystery of its’ own. Lovely family photos on the beach!

25. Beautiful images, Malou! I know it is France, but it looks so much like my area here on Lake Michigan in northernmost Chicago IL USA!

We may be thousands of miles apart but both sides of the Atlantic used to be one mass until the continents separated so the coasts will look alike (that’s the geologist hubby’s explanation). ;-)

26. restlessjo says:

So reminds me of my “other” home, Malou. Lovely to see your family looking so happy.

27. Beautiful pictures, and yes, you can see the joy in your daughter’s face. Priceless!

28. Reggie says:

I love this series of pictures, Malou – such a peaceful place.

29. namitasunder says:

loved the pics,Malou.the sheer expanse is so magnificent and the colors……..Always love your little princess.Best wishes to you and yours…..

30. Reblogged this on My road travel planner and commented:
    TRAVELING CHINA? or maybe Australia? this is a great article, check it out!

31. Travelindia says:

Wonderful Picture’s and great memories of sweet little family..

32. pubnknit says:

I grew up by the Atlantic, and I love it. Beautiful pictures :)

33. Jill Archer says:

The Atlantic looks familiar, but where are all the people?! You lucked out either with your spot or time of year! We vacation on the Atlantic every year (I’m from Maryland, although we usually hit the Jersey Shore). I enjoyed reading this post. Your pictures were beautiful!

34. What a wonderful post, I really loved it, your photos are all so beautiful !

35. Gorgeous photos! Interesting contrats between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

Not sure how I got unsubscribed from your site. Hope all is well. :)

37. Madhu says:

I don’t get notifications either Malou! Missed these happy images of your family :-)

38. I’ve never seen the Atlantic ocean in person, it looks amazing :) Hopefully someday

39. Awesome photos! Congratulations!

40. carolinalaya says:

Oh!! The Atlantic!! There is where I am from (the north-western region of Galicia, in Spain)

41. Joy Monger says:

Beautiful!

42. My French Heaven says:

What a lovely family you have. Great shots too!

43. LucyJartz says:

Nice beaches, loved the buried in sand picture! Thanks for sharing and warming up my winter holidays, now that there is a little time to travel vicariously through your blog.

44. saudagar says:

Fun to see a couple who shares the same passion, and here’s a family. And it’s also fun to see those travelling photos.