Monet’s home and garden in Giverny

Monet's home in Giverny

Monet’s home in Giverny

Monet entered my consciousness as a college freshman taking up the elective subject of Humanities.  His paintings of water lilies from his garden in Giverny were special favorites.

Fast forward to over two decades later I would be in Giverny, admiring his amazing gardens and being inside his home which gave me a glimpse of his life way back then.  Unfortunately, taking pictures inside his home was forbidden so I could only commit to memory the lovely and cozy atmosphere of his family home.

Giverny is a short distance from Paris and a one day side trip is what many visitors to the City of Lights do. Pretty popular, it is advisable to go there a bit early in the morning to avoid the big crowd of tourists who come in huge touring buses. We took a lazy approach to our sightseeing, staying two nights at a lovely bed and breakfast in a village that’s about 10 minutes drive from Giverny.

Water lilies at Monet's garden in Giverny

Water lilies at Monet’s garden in Giverny

Bridge over a pond of water lilies

Bridge over a pond of water lilies

Water lilies - inspiration for his many paintings

Water lilies – inspiration for his many paintings

Yellow water lilies

Yellow water lilies

Our family

Our family

Well tended garden with flowers carefully organized to bloom from spring to fall

Monet's garden is paradise to butterflies

Monet’s garden is paradise to butterflies

My little girl

My little girl

Pink blooms

Pink blooms

zinnia

zinnia

Roses

Roses

One of the many summer blooms

One of the many summer blooms

Monet's home from his garden

Monet’s home from his garden

Flowers everywhere

Flowers everywhere

Water lilies

Water lilies

Pink zinnia

Pink zinnia

Dahlias

Dahlias

Monet's home from the garden

Monet’s home from the garden

My little girl

Monet’s garden

Bamboos

Bamboos

Monet's garden in Giverny

Monet’s garden in Giverny

102 Responses to Monet’s home and garden in Giverny

1. So glad to see you! Beautiful pix as usual AND the little girl has grown! Welcome back!

2. bluehourmagazine says:

Moriah here, great work Malou!

3. Went there a long time ago – thanks for the memory nudge!

Welcome back! I have missed you. Your pictures are lovely, as always. Is it any wonder that Monet was such a great artist when he was surrounded by such beauty?

Thank you, Elaine. Monet created his magical world from which he can make amazing paintings. Certainly a must-see place. The collection of flowers were just amazing! ;-)

5. Definitely on my bucket list to visit some day!! Thanks for the beautiful pics!

6. Wonderful – you have caught it how we always hoped it would be!
    Welcome back!!

7. scroungelady says:

Welcome back! The garden photos are like paintings. May use some for inspiration for painting. The family looks well – your daughter has grown!

8. jamielynne82 says:

I must go there once in my life.

9. what a great post! thanks for taking us through a stroll through the lovely gardens! your daughter is precious! z

10. mysending says:

Here in New England, surrounded by snow, this is so welcome! Thank you for this lovely infusion of color!

It’s very cold here as well that summer is much longed for. I’m looking back to last summer to remind me of the many nice things to look forward to. ;-)

11. lucindalines says:

Oh how beautiful! I am so glad to see you back, beautiful photos of the family and the flowers.

12. Welcome back! Beautiful photos of a beautiful place…have missed your flowers!

Thank you, Karen. Hopefully will have more time to post flower and garden pictures in the coming days. We’ve been to many lovely gardens in Dordogne last summer. ;-)

13. restlessjo says:

It looks so beautiful, Malou. Your little girl is growing. I remember when she wasn’t much higher than a daisy. Lovely collection.

Thank you, Jo. She’s indeed growing up so fast and is into a lot of things too from swimming to horseback-riding, reasons why the long absence here in WP. ;-)

14. Theadora says:

Gorgeous. Gorgeous. I love this place. You’ve been missed, Malou !! Theadora

Thank you for the warm welcome, Theadora. I just so love your country and can’t wait for the next summer holiday again. We’ve been to Dordogne which was an amazing revelation. ;-)

15. Megan says:

Wow! All of this pictures are gorgeous! I am asking for a camera this year for my birthday, I can’t wait for the quality of my pictures to be even close to this!

16. Java Girl says:

These are gorgeous! As a oil painter myself, this blog touches my heart. What a beautiful day and I’m happy you got to see his garden. Wonderful blog! Welcome back!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Happy to be back after many hectic months that kept me away. Still busy bee here but I try to get back to this space. I’ll definitely entice you to visit Monet’s place and I’m sure that you’ll have endless inspiration for your oil paintings.

17. I saw Monet’s Giverny paintings when they were on tour in New Orleans. So incredible. Much bigger than I thought they would be. The Museum of Art also has a Giverny painting – very small, but beautiful: Giverny in a snowstorm. He managed to capture in paint those big, fat, wet snowflakes. Your pictures make me see where and how his eyes saw light and what he committed to canvas. Lovely! Thank you.

Bewitching aren’t they? Saw some of his works when I visited the Louvre many years ago and has since then, been dreaming of going to Giverny. Didn’t happen right away despite many trips to Paris and holidays to Normandy so last year I really made it a point to make a side trip to Giverny. Well worth the visit and the area around Giverny is also lovely. ;-)

18. zozokie says:

Amazing imagery.

19. Lucid Gypsy says:

What a stunning post Malou, thank you!

Wonderful to have you back, have missed your photos so much. Was at the gardens many years, but a little too late – in September and there wasn’t much flowers left in the garden, but what a wonderful place to stop and just reflex on life at. Was it last year you were there. Stunning and breathtaking photo gallery. Little princess sweet as always and .. the same little happy family. Welcome back.

Thank you for the very warm welcome, Viveka. Many thanks too for the CDs. It’s been crazy past couple of months starting with the little girl having her birthday and asked for princess cakes. Had to follow a lot of youtube tutorials for that and managed to deliver. Then turning 5 also meant more activities like horseback riding and a very intensive swimming lesson.

We were in Giverny at the height of summer so the gardens were just majestic with flowers everywhere. We had a great time in France last summer, went to see a lot of gardens in Dordogne. Looking forward again to summer in France this year. ;-)

• viveka says:

Great news … didn’t you do some post about your summer holiday – sure I seen some photos from a castle where you stayed. Is she 5 now … it’s true the time just fly away with us. She are still such an adorable little girl. It’s truly wonderful to hear from you and to have you back. *smile

Just posted a few from the start of our holiday in West France. Still more to post from our time in Dordogne which was a pleasant surprise. Beautiful gardens out there. ;-)

Hi! Glad your back! Good to see you are all well there, your little lady has grown! Beautiful home Monet had. I have read about him and seen many of his paintings in online galleries and read about his life. A very interesting man, a fascinating era he lived in. I have moved my site, stop by sometime. Be well!

Thanks for the warm welcome, John. Indeed the little lady is growing up so fast.

If ever you have the chance to go to Paris, make a side trip to Giverny as it is simply worth the visit. ;-)

22. Once of my favourite places in the world! Beautiful photos, thank you.

23. Love your photos. I so want to go there. Thanks for sharing your trip!

24. Audrey says:

Beautiful photos! What a stunning place to visit. I could see why he was inspired… Monet is one of my favorite painters and the Impressionist work has always captured my interest and imagination.
    Thanks for sharing this!

Same here, I’m also a big fan of Impressionist work and Monet is a favorite. I’m lucky to have seen for real some places which had been inspiration for his work. ;-)

25. Haven’t seen you here in quite awhile…what a beautiful series…

26. bebs1 says:

What a lovely home and garden! Welcome back!

27. These are beautiful. We wish we’d gone to Giverny. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

28. tita buds says:

Malou! Welcome back. :)
    Now that’s a garden. There’s even some bamboo in there! (I wonder if they were already there when Monet was alive.) That garden’s all too pretty for words. :)

Thank you, Tita Buds. Been very busy the last couple of months.

The bamboo could be a later addition (not sure???) but blended well with the entire garden. A must-see place if you visit Paris. ;-)

29. Monica says:

Thanks for sharing these pictures and your experiences…..so lovely! regards…..it’s been a while.

30. Shutterbug Sage says:

Oh, one of my favorite places in all of France! Lovely photos!

31. ShimonZ says:

What a beautiful park, and I enjoyed seeing the beautiful picture of the family together.

32. Mike Sinnott says:

Beautiful garden photos, just wonderful scenery.

33. Love the Photos…I remember standing in the In the Nelson-Adkins Museum in KCMO many years ago totally blown away I came back again and again

34. rrabano says:

Wow! So GREEN, looks so peaceful. Thanks for sharing.

35. RoSy says:

Your photos always make me feel like I’m right there with you!

36. Like you we stayed in a B&B, for three nights. There is so much to see in the area. It was all very beautiful.

Wonderful isn’t it? Our B&B was really super lovely and the owner even recommended that we had dinner at this restaurant by the river with the watermill. Driving around the area was such a great experience especially in the summer when the wheat fields shone like gold. ;-)

37. These are beautiful, and the water lilies shot is my favorite I think :D

38. Emilie says:

Lovely! I’m a big fan of Monet as well. It would be so lovely to see all the things he painted up close!

39. Absolutely beautiful, Malou! Glad to see you back :-) Love the glasses too!

Thank you. Indeed it’s been a while with many things keeping me busy. The soft lenses broke during the holiday and I had no spare. Couldn’t buy disposable ones in France but would need to go for an appointment at the optometrist so had to rely on glasses for the rest of the holiday. ;-)

40. Simply stunning images, Malou…thanks so very much for sharing! Glad to see you back, and yes, she is getting to be quite the young lady…little girl no longer!

41. Been there myself, so this brings back lots of memories :) Its such a beautiful, calming place. Also, your little girl is so adorable.

42. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Again your post is gorgeous!

43. Malou, thanks for sharing the link – what a wonderful visit you had! Love the photos and so so dream of visiting this place someday.

You are welcome. Monet’s home is also very beautiful and I so love the kitchen (though taking pictures inside was prohibited). ;-)