Market day in Le Bugue

Fresh produce

Fresh produce

Open markets never fail to cast their charm on me and I won’t give them a miss if I can find one on any given day. Checking what are on offer from different stalls will make me lost my sense of time as my mind wanders off to what nice meals I can make from the many fresh produce that I can get my hands into. Unfortunately, I don’t have a big family to feed so I always have to try to control the urge to overbuy and overstock especially on those stuffs with limited shelf life.

When we arrived in Dordogne for the second half of our camping holiday, we got some info on what to do and see in the area. The suggestion of open markets in the nearby towns and cities came in handy especially as I was really looking so much forward to exploring a few during this holiday. The nearest to our camping was the town of Le Bugue, a 15-minute drive and where most times we will also get our groceries.

The open market in Le Bugue as compared to the open markets I’ve seen in the west of France has less seafoods and was more oriented to the produce of the land and wood crafts which was pretty understandable from a geographic perspective. We had a great time exploring this market, my little girl so especially loved the trinkets, toys and also the hat that we got her for protection from the strong sun. I enjoyed admiring the fresh vegetables and other food stuffs on offer as well as got myself a nice typical French basket which would later came handy when we get groceries or go on picnics.

Le Bugue

Admiring the trinkets

Admiring the trinkets

Trying out a hat

Trying out a hat

Checking out the toys

Checking out the toys

Wood-carved slingshots -- I played with them a lot as a child

Wood-carved slingshots — I played with them a lot as a child

Wood crafts

Baskets

Baskets

Got myself a French basket

Got myself a French basket

61 Responses to Market day in Le Bugue

1. gedlondon says:

Great write-up and fantastic pictures! Well done! ;-)

2. Glorious summer shots. Can almost smell the produce!

3. You had me peering at the screen with that first photo to look at the prices. I see the beans/habachuelos/judias come from Spain and are a similar price to ours, although sometimes ours drop to two euros something.

But the other prices seemed dearer, the cabbage/col/repollo – ours costs less than a euro a kilo, although one of our neighbours gave us three a couple of weeks ago, so not something I’ve bought – the broccoli, and especially the white turnips/nabos at 3.95€. Can you remember how much the tomatoes were?

We tend to buy the long peppers/pimientos, they are somewhere between one and two euros.

Lovely photos of the produce.

I guess the prices of these fruits and vegetables are far cheaper in Spain especially at the height of the season. Prices at the open markets are not that cheaper nowadays because the sellers also have to pay taxes and other costs that at times, competition from supermarkets are forcing them out of business.

Not sure how much the tomatoes cost but we could sample them right there and then and couldn’t resist buying because they were so sweet and luscious, so perfect for a summer salad. ;-)

4. I love the markets too. You’ve captured the magic here and the great food :)

5. piesandeyes says:

Beautiful photos and delicious food to look at as eye candy! Your little girl is getting so big!

6. What a great trip! Oh.. those tomatoes!

7. Love the bag you got! I love farmer’s market day which is a lot like yours here too! They are Wednesdays and Saturdays (in our town) April through October and I can’t wait for it to open this year! It’s a good thing I can preserve some of my purchases because I over-buy all the time. It just looks so good! We don’t have prepared foods much at our farm markets but that bread looks fantastic! What a great idea – if I had access to a commercial kitchen, I would make some to take to the next one – bet it would sell great here!

My bag was the cheapest at Eur 7. The others with more intricate designs were at least Eur 20+. That’s nice that you have farmer’s market day over there too. It would be nice if you can make/cook stuffs that you can sell to the market. I’d love that idea too but yes, a commercial kitchen and time are two elements which are pre. ;-)

8. wineismylife says:

Great shots. Just so you know what you’re calling “Paprikas” we here in the United States call “Bell Peppers”.

Thank you. I know, these paprikas we also call “bell peppers” in my native country (Philippines) but has adopted the name given here. ;-)

9. Nikki says:

Love open markets too!! Beautiful photos as well!

10. twisterfish says:

Oh those photos make me want to go!

11. RDoug says:

Well, that certainly looked like a lot of fun . . . and once again in the heart of the Bordeaux Region with all those great wines!

12. Wow, what a life! Make me feel so boring here in the states! Your pictures are AMAZING as usual! Love all those vibrant colored fruits and veggies! And you look so comfy cozy in your sundress and sandals! We’re still all bundled up and ready for another snow storm this week!Looks like you’re enjoying your camping trip!

These pictures were from last summer but it’s only now that I’m finding the time to blog about them. Winter is pretty much in the picture here, its been snowing last night and today, the temperature is just a degree or two above freezing. We’re looking forward to summer very much, when we can be in the lightest of clothes and slippers again. ;-)

13. My Life While Shopping says:

AMAZING photos as usual! Looks like you’re enjoying your camping trip! The fruits and veggies look so vibrant! Wishing for warm weather here in the states. We have another snow storm ramping up!

14. What a fabulous market. It looks like you could spend a whole day there.

15. Sheila says:

Great photos! It isn’t fair to show all that lovely produce to someone sitting in Alaska in February! Of course our grocery stores have “fresh” produce…but nothing straight from the fields, and I’m sure the flavors of the foods you show are amazing! I love open markets too…(“farmers’ markets” I call them) ..especially finding the fresh breads and local fare that is always so fun to sample! ~ Sheila

Thank you, Sheila. I’m also still experiencing the heart of winter out here at the moment and these pictures were from last summer when we went on a camping holiday in France. I could tell you that the fresh produce here really tasted wonderful, bought paprikas and aubergines which I just brushed with a bit of olive oil and they went nicely on top of the grill as side veggies to the chicken and pork barbeques we had. The fresh salad was also great especially these tomatoes which were really sweet and fresh. Bread in France is just so good and even a non-bread eater like me is an instant convert. ;-)

• Sheila says:

Bread! I think there is hardly a bread in the world that isn’t wonderful…especially the homemade kind. I’m not talking about the commercially made stuff…but what you find at markets or little shops? I could live on it!

This what I love so much about the French villages and small towns –their markets and fresh products. They are so spoiled, but it’s their way of life. So only as there is food, bread and wine on the table … and good friends around it – they are happy. Why can’t we be the same. Wonderful photos, but I wouldn’t expect anything else of you.
    A little envy on your holiday and for your French basket. *smile – thanks for bring me along to Le Bugue … my first visit.

I could live in that part of Europe, huh! Food is amazing and there’s so much to see and do as well.
      I love my French basket, quite a steal at Eur 7.00 and is very useful when I go out. No need for the pricey bags, happy with this basket as fashion accessory. ;-)

• viveka says:

Those French baskets will never go out of fashion .. it’s like the French brooms. Love them too.
        Yes, France is a fantastic place to live … maybe if I win on the lottery there will be money to get the sea view apartment in Biarritz *smile

17. meryscarsa says:

What a beautiful place!! The photographs are amazing!! I wish I could visit the place, it seems very interesting. As you say I love the markets too. Hope you enjoyed a lot the place and the food.
    Thanks for visit my place: capturaviaje.com and let us a message. You have give us an idea and we will try to translate the information into English.

Maybe your next journey is to this part of Spain!!! :)

Thank you. I look forward to someday visiting your country again. Been there a couple of times many years ago and have really enjoyed exploring lovely mountain villages and going to vineyards and markets too. ;-)

18. RoSy says:

I love open markets!
    As always thanks for sharing a glimpse of your adventures!
    Great pic of you at the end of this post :)

19. dorannrule says:

What a fabulous market Malou! Thanks for sharing your lovely photos. :)

20. I love markets everywhere. You got some wonderful shots but it looks like your little girl is growing.

21. Miss P says:

What wonderful pictures of the market. I love open markets as well, but there are non that compare to what I have seen in your photos.

This looks great! Love open markets too. Went to a couple in Provence. But that was 4 years ago. The wooden toys are great to young kids. I hope your daughter can enjoy these before she gets hooked on the video games.

Thank you. Those Provence markets must have been wonderful. We’re thinking of heading to Provence this summer and definitely, open markets are on my itinerary. My little girl is not that interested with video games, she’s more into making/creating things and drawings. ;-)

• likeitiz says:

I hope you can keep her off video games as long as you can. It is the most awful nightmare a parent can have to battle with once it starts. We banned it from our house but when she had play dates at other people’s homes, well, we could not control that.

She’s got this Wii and some other console games as well. Strangely enough, she’s not that keen. Playmates come here and want to play these games but she’s more keen to do other things like build a tent from blankets in the living room. ;-)

23. I love the vibrant colors and the varieties that the open/farmers market has to offer. Ours are so limited…definitely no nice wooden toys here. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more market days from your post. :)

It must be nice to encourage local produce like the way they are given a boost in France. Despite the proliferation of supermarkets, many are still longing for the markets in the old-fashioned way. ;-)

24. Lucid Gypsy says:

I love markets anywhere! A nice photo of you Malou :-)

25. lynnwyvill says:

Gorgeous photos! How did you decide what you would buy? It all looks fantastic!

26. Ah, what a lovely town, Malou, with a marvelous open market! Your images have made me very hungry! It’s amazing the amount of handcrafted wooden objects…they all look so finely done, too! Le Bugue…had never heard of it, but now it will be in my dreams…and on the ‘wish list’!

I can recommend the whole of Dordogne as worth exploring. Many lovely old towns and open markets, Medieval castles and parterre gardens. So much to see and do out there. ;-)

27. I love markets especially in France! Amazing and beautiful and I love how you are enjoying it thoroughly :)

28. I get so excited looking at the photos in your blog. I hope to travel in Europe one day!