The gardens of the Manor of Eyrignac

Topiaries at Eyrignac

Topiaries at Eyrignac

Dordogne was the logical option for us to go to after spending the first part of our camping holiday in the Bordeaux area as it was just a good three hours drive eastward. I had no clue as to what can be expected in this part of France. The husband went camping here with his parents and older brother when he was small (that was over 3 decades ago) and his memory were only of the caves for which he became claustrophobic. He still dreams of those stalagmites and stalactites and how they would grow into monsters that would suck the life out of him. Another friend from Scotland (we became friends when we stayed in the same agriturismo in Tuscany two summers earlier) holidayed in Dordogne the year before and only had horror stories to tell from unending bad weather and compounded by car breakdown. Thus, to be honest, I had my worries too that this might not be the place to go for summer holiday.

What a pleasant surprise! Our whole stay of 1.5 weeks in Dordogne were only characterized by blue skies and warm temperature. We skipped the caves but there were so much to see from markets to Medieval castles and parterre gardens. We were able to enjoy as well a step back in time, a kind of re-living of childhood memories when we spent wonderful idyllic moments fishing in the Dordogne River, having picnic most times in the best of surroundings, swimming in the pool at the camping, etc.

One of the many gardens that caught my eye was the French gardens of the Manor of Eyrignac. It was about an hour’s drive from our camping and was well worth the visit. Nestled in the heart of Perigord Noir, these gardens feature plant sculptures, box embroideries, fountains and fields of wild blooms.

Sculptured plants at the Gardens of the Manor of Eyrignac

Our family

Goodies from the gardens' shop

Goodies from the gardens’ shop

Goodies from the gardens' shop

Goodies from the gardens’ shop

61 Responses to The gardens of the Manor of Eyrignac

1. The photos are breathtakingly BEAUTIFUL ! WOW. Keep it up.

2. gpcox says:

It must take an army of gardeners to care for this place. Beautiful.

3. RDoug says:

Absolutely stunning photographs as always, Malou. Thanks for sharing them.

Very beautiful photography Malou! A gorgeous setting. Your family is so blessed to travel these places.

5. The flower that you did not know is an Allium. As you saw it, it had already bloomed and is in its drying phase. I have some of these in my garden at home and when they are dried long enough, they can be pulled out of the bulb and used as fairy wands by little girls or boys.

Thank you for this information. Now that you mentioned it, I now remember it as a round purple flower. Good idea about the fairy wands because my little girl will definitely love that. ;-)

6. lucindalines says:

Beautiful shots. Love the one where you caught your daughter in mid air. Also thanks for the flower photos. You have reminded me which seeds I need to purchase for this summer.

Don’t the sculpted plants remind you of Edward Scissorhands? Great shots!

8. Catherine says:

What a wonderful adventure. I loved the photographs, especially of your daughter and the gardens. The ivy-covered building is enchanting. Thank you for this vicarious holiday!

9. amoonfull says:

These photos are timeless! Precious memories in the making. Love it!

10. Thanks so very much for sharing your tour. Loved every photo. I have this want to get on a plane and fly right over. Very nice. Jack

11. You’ve got me longing for summer! I’ve never been a fan of formal gardens (good thing I guess from the state of mine) but these are gorgeous. Thanks for taking me there.

Same here, can hardly wait for the warm weather. Forecast is looking good, we’re expecting 15C next week.

Dordogne had lots of formal gardens and we’ve been to a few. ;-)

12. What an incredible place! The sculpted trees are amazing!
    And what incredible photographs: you have great talent!!

13. sillyliss says:

The jump picture is fantastic!

Oh, but I wish I could visit a sculpture garden like that. It looks just incredible, straight out of Alice in Wonderland.

Thank you. There were quite a lot of sculpture gardens out there in Dordogne and with centuries of history behind them. Definitely a must-see when you have the chance to visit France. ;-)

14. meryscarsa says:

What a beautiful place!!Incredible photographs and the little top model :). Your daughter is very pretty and the jumping photograph is one of the best. All the information that you give in this post is very useful. I wish I could travel to this zone.

Visit my place: capturaviaje.com. Many thanks.

Thank you. You also have many lovely places where you are with lots of history and character and I look forward to knowing more about them. ;-)

15. Miss P says:

such beautiful flowers, and a beautiful family too….. I can see where you could spend hours there.

16. Malou! These photos are so beautiful! Most of all your sun-kissed little girl! Always a pleasure to be here. Sharon

17. Tharien van Eck says:

France in the summer is just a wonderful experience to have. The Canal Di Midi is our favourite

Yes, France has it all. I’d love to do that Canal Du Midi tour someday especially after watching Rick Stein did such a tour and then enjoying the food and wine along the way. ;-)

18. Beautiful photos – as always! I especially loved the one of your daughter mid-air, and the closeup shots of flowers with butterflies and bees.

19. What beautiful gardens! Everything is so green, and the flowers are stunning. And your little girl is so cute!

20. Great batch of shots. The jumping shot of your daughter is a wonderful catch.

21. chrisstov says:

Love that bee on the blue flower.

22. Dana says:

I haven’t visited your blog in a while. It is nice to see all of your beautiful photos!

23. (sorry if this posts twice!). I haven’t visited your blog in a while. It is lovely to see your beautiful photos!

24. Tom says:

Exceptional and so filled with spirit.

25. Your pictures are so amazing I feel like I am there too!

26. Beautiful photos! I’m headed to France in April and looking forward to soaking up some of the culture.

27. RoSy says:

Looks like a place of dreams!

28. Thanks so, Malou, for the wonderful tour and spectacular images, especially those of all the beautifully-done topiaries! What a fantastic spot for learning and enjoying Nature!

Glad to know that you enjoyed the tour. Gardens out there are spectacular and there’s so much nature to savor. Abundantly blessed country in many ways. ;-)

29. ailsapm says:

Oh, how absolutely beautiful, Malou.

30. Amazing gardens. I love topiary, and these are incredible. I can’t imagine what it takes to maintain these…

31. What beautiful gardens and grounds! Glad to see that the Dordogne was not what you expected :-)