The overhanging gardens of Chateau de Marqueyssac

Carved boxwood trees - Chateau de Marqueyssac

Carved boxwood trees – Chateau de Marqueyssac

Dordogne is reputed to be the land of a thousand chateaus (castles) so it is mecca to a castle fanatic like me. Further to that reputation are its many amazing parterre (formal) gardens which have behind them centuries of history.

On this post, let me take you to the lovely Chateau de Marqueyssac and its amazing gardens of boxwood trees carved in fantastic shapes. Certainly well worth a visit if you happen to be in Dordogne, this chateau and garden is nestled on a hill with splendid views of the medieval Chateau de Castelnaud and its fierce rival, the Chateau de Beynac as well as the lovely medieval villages along the Dordogne river.

We had a great time exploring this garden, even taking the five kilometer walk to explore every nook and corner of this lovely place. At the end of that walk, we enjoyed a lovely picnic at the chateau’s grounds with amazing view of the farmlands below the hill and the Chateau de Beynac in the distance.

By the way, Chateau de Beynac has served as location for several films, among them Ever After by Andy Tennant in 1998 and Jeanne d’Arc by Luc Besson, in 1999. The village of Beynac below the chateau, also served as a location for the film Chocolat by Lasse Hallström, in 2000.

Carved boxwood trees

Lovely medieval villages along the Dordogne River

Lovely medieval villages along the Dordogne River

Playground

Playground

Playground

Playground

Chapel at the chateau's ground

Chapel at the chateau’s ground

Oma ensuring that Francesca does not fall over the cliff

Oma ensuring that Francesca does not fall over the cliff

Curious visitors checking out what's inside the chapel

Curious visitors checking out what’s inside the chapel

Alley of santolina and rosemary

Family picnic

Family picnic

Francesca with Opa and Oma

Francesca with Opa and Oma

55 Responses to The overhanging gardens of Chateau de Marqueyssac

1. RichardB1001 says:

These pictures are absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing them.

2. Another beautiful area-I can see why you love castles!

3. Neat! Glad you posted this! I’m going to put it on my to-see list. ;-)

4. I just overall admire your blog. This is such an amazing adventure that your taking. The places you visit are inspiring and magnificent. For us back at home in the U.S.A., busy with our work and stressing over deadlines, your photos and snippets of storyline whisk us off – even for a moment – to Neverland.

Thank you. Just like you, I’m also caught up with deadlines and lots of stuff but I hang on to the lovely memories of past summers and look forward to the coming summer to get me past through the stressful months. ;-)

• That’s such an interesting take on vacations. Even though you’re not momentarily in one, just the idea of taking off can de-stress you. Wow! I never thought of it like that.

5. Beautiful pictures!

6. Pam says:

Amazing landscaping!

7. bebs1 says:

This is so beautiful. Beautiful views of the garden and the surroundings. Love it! Thank you!

Beautiful countryside and castles, as always!

9. Ahhhhh……I sure have missed my Malou Moments and I’m very glad to have them back! When I read your posts it takes my blood pressure down several notches. Such magnificent mansions!

10. Colline says:

A very interesting garden. Never seen one like this.

11. A slice of heaven for sure. Wonder how many elves it takes to manage all those boxwood? What time of year were you there? Thanks for sharing these fab images, as wet snow is forecast for here tonight. Diane

12. dapithapon says:

Ma’am, your pictures are amazingly beautiful! ^_^

13. just have no words . . . Fabulous post & pictures :)

Nirav / India .

14. restlessjo says:

Lovely to see Francesca having such fun, Malou. Surrounded by all that beauty, all they need is a swing and a climbing frame, or failing that a doorstep! I would love to visit the Dordogne. France is a secret book to me.

Francesca is easy to entertain. Playground, beach or pool and she’s already in seventh heaven.

You must visit France. Lots to see and Dordogne was quite a revelation too. ;-)

15. peachcordial says:

Looks so picturesque! Amazing :)

16. Great photos and tour. Looks something like my home – don’t I wish!

Thank you. We can only wish to live in such a place, wouldn’t mind but in this day and age, that’s lot of headache thinking of maintenance cost. Happy to just pay entrance fee and explore without the responsibility. ;-)

17. meryscarsa says:

Wow, what a beautiful place Malou! As always your photos are great! The gardens are amazing, the chateaux is incredible! My favourite photo is your little girl and oma, making sure that she wasn’t

18. Audrey says:

The photos are spectacular! Looks like so much fun to visit – a little bit of a fairy land. :)

19. As always, beautiful photos. I’ll bet Francesca would have loved to live in that tree house (and of course you could live in the chateau).

Thank you, Diane. You are absolutely right, Francesca would have loved living in that tree house and I don’t mind living in the chateau. I’m quite easy to please, ha, ha, ha! ;-)

20. mrsdaffodil says:

What an amazing place, and your photos show it off to perfection.

21. Lovely countryside for a family picnic, Malou! Your images gave me a fine tour, with a few giggles, too! Love the photo of Francesca at the door…such subtle colors enhanced by her dark beauty!

22. The first couple of pictures reminded me of a fairy tale :) They look like they came out of a book they are just gorgeous! The kind of stuff you only imagine :)

23. cmbanerjee says:

I’m green with envy :) Super pictures! My girls would love the tree house. Nice candid pic of grandma holding on to your little girl. I would be inclined to do the same thing. :)

Thank you. Children will always be charmed by a tree house, summer days will be stretched to as far as they can to be out there playing. ;-)

24. Gorgeous photos Malou! Such a beautiful part of the world – thanks for sharing!
    Happy weekend :-)

25. That is fantastic! What an incredible landscaping job; it doesn’t look real!

Almost surreal. And guess what, you can also visit these gardens when its lighted by candles one day every week (Thursday I guess) in summer. Pretty romantic, huh! ;-)