Market day in Sarlat-la-Canéda

Lunch in Sarlat-la-Caneda

Lunch in Sarlat-la-Caneda

On this particular warm summer day, we were celebrating a special day, my father-in-law’s birthday. In earlier years when they still live up north in Holland in the Friesian farm house which has a very beautiful garden that my mom-in-law lovingly tended, this birthday celebration was usually on home ground with a barbeque party. For the first time, we celebrated this happy occasion abroad and on a completely different atmosphere.

Not wanting to waste opportunity to see as much during their few days in Dordogne, we decided to visit Sarlat-la-Caneda which on a Saturday in summer, also has its open market. Sarlat is a very alluring town, still well-preserved and very much representative of 14th century France. Being there is like taking a step back in time given its many impeccably restored stone buildings from that bygone era. No wonder then why it is the third most popular location for movies in France after Paris and Cannes.

Comparing the open market in Sarlat to that of Le Bugue which we visited earlier, Sarlat has more to offer and there was more to see too. I enjoyed checking out the stuffs on offer from stall to stall but resisted the urge to do my usual panic buying especially of those wonderful dried sausages, terrine, macaroons, cheeses, etc.

As with any birthday celebration, cake and coffee are a must so the first item on our itinerary was to find a nice pattisserie. We found one along the busy main street and enjoyed our cake and cappuccino. Then it was off to see more of the city and for my mom-in-law to also buy her French basket.

Lunch was a simple fare. We found a quaint little restaurant in the city centre where it was amazingly cool on this very warm day. They opted for omelets and salad while I found the prawn flambee in brandy more appealing especially with the little rice on the side.

Dordogne as we experienced it was spectacular. On the trip back, we were beckoned by the picturesque sunflower fields to make a stop for a few pictures.

Sarlat's city centre

Sarlat’s city centre

Sarlat's city centre

Sarlat’s city centre

Sarlat's city centre

Sarlat’s city centre

Cake and coffee celebration of Dad's birthday

Cake and coffee celebration of Dad’s birthday

My little girl wanted this toy so much

Me and my little girl

Me and my little girl

Sunflowers

Sunflowers

51 Responses to Market day in Sarlat-la-Canéda

1. busymomhelp says:

those sweets are so appetizing and i love the totes!

2. wildramp says:

Your photos, as always, are wonderful!

3. samalbahaykubo says:

Beautiful photos. Reminds me of childhood camping holidays in that area about 40 years ago.

4. Walnut cake is such a lovely sweet! It is an old Southern Favorite here in the states – I’m glad to see it’s so European. Looks like a lovely time was had on Opa’s birthday!

I’m a big fan of walnut cake since eating that here in Europe. Hubby is allergic to walnuts so I tend to have the cake all to myself. You’re right, we had a great time celebrating Opa’s birthday. ;-)

Wonderful gallery again – Dordogne is one of the most beautiful areas in France – so green and lush with rivers and hills. ‘They say that there is the French kitchen stands. Never been in Sarlat, but I can understand you were taken with its beauty from looking at yours photos. Those bags – wouldn’t mind one of them. And that raspberry cake!!! Your post is just the France I loved so much in the 70’s when every holiday was sent there … 3 weeks, just driving around and soaking in. Thanks for bringing me back.

Thanks a lot, Viveka. Sarlat appeals to an old soul like me. I always love places that go many centuries back in history and I can still grasp the old way of life in one way or another. Been a lover of history in my student years and being in places which I used to just dream about is such an amazing feeling. ;-)

6. Wonderful capture of the day in Sarlat – with the beautiful photos telling the story of the family times, the yummy food, the picturesque town, the fascinating markets. Lovely.

7. Wonderful capture of the day in Salat – with beautiful photos showing warm family times, yummy food, the picturesque town, the fascinating markets. Lovely.

8. Colline says:

Those cakes look absolutely delicious. Love the pics of you and your little girl with the happy sunflowers.

9. arlene1027 says:

Hi Malou, lovely pics as usual!

Beautiful photography of a wonderful town. I so enjoy your website!

11. Sheila says:

Beautiful old city! Love all the pastries and the market stall shopping. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos! ~ Sheila

12. chrisstov says:

Lovely photos including a colourful display of bags.

13. Beautiful pictures, as always! What a lovely view into European summer life!

14. Kitty says:

AH! Thank again for the mini-vacation, and exactly where I would go, too!

15. cmbanerjee says:

Love the picture of your daughter and you by the sunflowers! That’s a keeper :) Also love those colorful straw looking bags reminds me of the ones they make in the Philippines (feeling homesick). Great capture at every angle and corner! Thanks for sharing!

Maraming salamat, kabayan. It is seldom that I have a pic with my little girl as she’s used to me being behind cam. I hear you about the bags, we’ve got plenty of them back home we would often ignore but out here, they’re priceless. ;-)

16. As I sit here in my winter landscape, your photos bring hope of summer. That market puts US markets to shame and I gained a few pounds simply by looking at all those fabulous desserts! OMG! Thanks so much! Happy Diane

I’m done with winter so I’m not posting any winter stuffs anymore. I’m looking forward to many things starting with the lovely spring that Holland always deliver (you know, tulips and all that spring blooms). Summer is my favorite of course, especially the camping and outdoor life. ;-)

• Malou, You may see my garden’s last year’s spring flowers on my blog by typing “spring flowers” into my search bar. ;-) A bit early for them now, just crocus up today. Enjoy!

The crocus came out last week here because we had 3 days of warm temp but then winter made a re-appearance so we have chilly days and even snow in some places. ;-)

17. meryscarsa says:

what incredible photos, as always Malou! The information is very interesting too. I wanna go there because your photos makes me wish visit this place.

One of my favorite photos is the one where you and your daughter are together with sunflowers.

Congratulations!!

18. Helen Grady says:

I agree with samalbahykubo – I’m his Mum and we used to have wonderful camping holidays in the Sarlat area. Your photos brought back so many memories.

I can imagine why the memories of those camping holidays lingered on, Helen. Such a lovely area in France with so much to see and do. ;-)

19. gorgeous pictures and I especially loved the sunflowers and of course the beautiful princess

20. Yatin says:

You turn ordinary into an extra- ordinary. Pastries looks “sweeter” and sunflower turns more beautiful on your on your blog!! I hope one of the day you do a post on my neighborhood or even me (another ordinary thing) :)

Thank you, Yatin. I hope one day too, that I’ll be able to see your neighborhood. You know what, we have to find beauty in everyday things and see beauty in people. ;-)

21. Quite an amazing tour of Sarlat, Malou! I’ll wager it was your father-in-law’s best birthday celebration ever!

All the fantastic food, especially those cakes, has made me very hungry of a sudden…guess I’ll just have to have some breakfast after all!

Such a gloriously beautiful city…if not for you and your camera, I’d never know it even existed–thank you!

Thank you. Yes, a birthday that he will always treasure. But then, we always make his birthday celebration very special every year.

France is the place for gustatory indulgence. There’s always something that appeals to the palate. ;-)

22. Your photos are so colorful and they make you feel like you’re THERE – just without the benefits of actually being there…if that makes any sense! Lovely and inspiring photos!

23. I LOVE shots of windows and doors, and these are gorgeous! The ones of the ivy around the windows and the archways are just incredible :) Really takes me away

We seem to share that love for windows and doors. I love them in France or Spain where there is always some romanticism created by their rustic simplicity. ;-)

24. Oh Malou! I went a bit potty going through the photos of Sarlat especially of the open market and all the gorgeous goodies and crafts on sale! And the food…What a great holiday and wonderful way to celebrate the FIL’s birthday. Sharon