Chateau de Hautefort and its gardens

Chateau de Hautefort

Chateau de Hautefort

The day before my parents-in-law were due to fly back to Holland, we went to visit yet another castle — the Chateau de Hautefort.

This castle was about an hour’s drive from our base so we brought our picnic basket. One thing that we loved in this holiday was having a picnic lunch which was just so ideal when visiting places like this castle so we avoid long queues and waiting in the restaurant. Our French picnic basket consisted of French bread, pate, cheese and a very succulent melon which we ate under the walnut trees at the foot of the castle’s ground.

The castle was an amazing revelation although it has seen some untoward development in its history like fire but has since then, been rebuilt and restored to its former glory. Not all parts of the castle was open to the public but there was enough to see. The gardens — left me at a loss to describe beauty in its purest sense.

This chateau has also graced the silver screen when it was used as one of the locations for the movie Ever After directed by Andy Tenant and starred by Drew Barrymore.

We enjoyed our picnic lunch at the foothills of this chateau -- under the shade of walnut trees.

We enjoyed our picnic lunch at the foothills of this chateau — under the shade of walnut trees.

Impressive gardens of the chateau -- geometric shapes, topiaries...

Impressive gardens of the chateau — geometric shapes, topiaries…

Parterre garden of Chateau de Hautefort

Parterre garden of Chateau de Hautefort

Chateau de Hautefort

Chateau de Hautefort

Our family

Our family

Francesca's idea of family picture

Francesca’s idea of family picture

Another angle of the chateau

A tunnel inside the chateau

A tunnel inside the chateau

The chateau's door

The chateau’s door

Chateau de Hautefort

Chateau de Hautefort

Opa and Francesca at the chateau's gift shop

Opa and Francesca at the chateau’s gift shop

Opa's present from the chateau's shop

Opa’s present from the chateau’s shop

Opa and oma

French summer basket

Wishing well???

Wishing well???

My little girl

My little girl

59 Responses to Chateau de Hautefort and its gardens

Beautiful pictures Malou! It definitely is a wonderful location to visit. Thanks for the virtual tour! :)

2. Each of these images is so very stunning, Malou! What a gorgeous place to visit…and thanks for the interior shots, as well!

The image of your parents-in-law sitting, with the castle in the background, just made me stop for a moment. How wonderful it must have been for you all to be together, celebrating Opa’s birthday week in this fantastically beautiful area!

Also, your floral images are nothing short of exquisite–KUDOS, Malou!

3. amoonfull says:

Fascinating pictures. Enchanting gardens. I’d love to visit! :-)

4. Kitty says:

Just gorgeous! Love the “family photo!” and so appreciate the well-tended gardens. I’ve always enjoyed watching “Ever After;” now I can say I was virtually there. The picture of Oma and Opa resting on the earth and (seemingly) breathing in the view is so precious and peaceful. Thank you for such a lovely respite, Malou!

Thank you, Kitty. Haven’t seen the movie and we’ve been to most of its locations so that’s now a must-do.

That picture of opa and oma is a favorite too. Such a wonderful moment of pure bliss in such a beautiful surrounding. Can’t be any better. ;-)

Malou, your photography is simply fantastic! My wife and I have been wowing your photos as I scrolled through. Such a beautiful venue. God bless your family!

Thank you, John. I’m recommending France especially Dordogne as a must-see for you and your wife if you get a chance to visit Europe on holiday. ;-)

I can hear music … very suitable .. one too – but I can’t see the player ????!!! It was from the castles website. How funny that became. *smile
    Stunning photos – is there something the French was good on was it to design and build castles – I don’t dare to think how many labor died under their stones. No wonder they started a revolution *smile
    Absolutely stunning … and your photos really do the castles and it surroundings justice. The flowers … so beautiful. You have a fantastic weekend now .. all of you.

Thank you, Viveka. Starting to embrace the weekend after a very busy week and very chilly weather. I’m dying for spring to start and looking forward to summer too.

I know that every stone in any of the castles have stories of hard labour and tyranny behind them. Watched Les Miserables and my eyes cannot stay dry. ;-)

Have a great weekend too!

• viveka says:

Haven’t seen it yet … have to take my time this weekend. The musical was the first musical I ever watched and I was suffering from a stomach bug .. 3 hours is long time then. Love it.
        Yes, when I went to those castles in France … I could see it in front of me … and they built them very quickly too.
        We got the winter back too .. this week.

Les Miserables is a girlie thing so I went to the movies with a very dear friend. Her husband didn’t want to join her so she asked me instead.

I believe that this Arctic chill is still staying put till next week. I’m really looking so much forward to spring. ;-)

• viveka says:

Yes, let get all the snow down first and then BRING it on .. the spring. Don’t want snow in the middle of April.
        Now you talked me into watching it. *smile

7. RoSy says:

MAGNIFICENT!

8. Truly glorious. I am glad there are such places – so you can go, and take photos!

9. marysmemories says:

Lovely photos. The gardens look very interesting and you all seem to have had a great time

10. Tharien van Eck says:

Beautiful photos!

11. The chateau is beautiful but those gardens & the topiary are marvelous! I could just wander outside all day. Tell me where you’re going next & when because you always seem to have such beautiful weather in all of your travels – do you bring it with you?
    I LOVE Francesca’s family portrait, she has a wonderful sense of humor. But what a beautiful child she is.

Thank you, Diane. You will definitely love this chateau and its lovely garden. France is highly recommended for excellent summer weather. This coming summer, we will be heading to Austria, around Salzburg and I’m hoping that weather-wise, we will also be lucky. Not so much faith about that as in the past, we had more rain and cold weather than sunshine in early summer.

Francesca is one very funny girl who loves to come up with pranks. ;-)

12. Sank says:

I absolutely love your blog. Your photos never cease to amze.. but it always spring time in Holland or do you not go out and take pictures in WInter?
    Anyway, keep up the great pictures and stories. I might just have to get over and see some of those gardens and markets for myself!

Thank you, Sank. These pictures were from our summer holiday last year in Dordogne, France. Holland is at the moment having this extended winter season, temperature this week is expected to remain below freezing at night and just a degree or two above freezing during the day. Can’t wait for the warmer days of summer. ;-)

13. The garden is gorgeous. I can just imagine how lovely it was to have your lunch in such beautiful surroundings.

14. Francesca has a great sense of humor! She reminds me of my granddaughter, who seems to be about the same age.

Oh, glad to know that your granddaughter is also such a funny girl. Francesca never ceases to come up with funny antics…to the extreme delight of the grandparents. ;-)

15. Absolutely beautiful photos and castle. I will be travelling in the area around Delft in a few weeks any suggestions?

Thank you, Joseph. You must be here in time for a very historic event — the coronation of Willem Alexander as king on the 30th of April in Amsterdam. Of course, the whole country will be exploding in orange on that day.

Delft is always a lovely city to explore as are nearby Den Haag (The Hague) or other places like Amsterdam, Gouda or Leiden. Have fun in Holland! ;-)

• Thanks for the suggestions Malou. I will not be there for the coronation of your new king. My sister lives about thirty minutes by train from Amsterdam. She and some friends have big plans for Koninginnedag. I hope you throw up a post or two about the event.

16. ShimonZ says:

looks like a simply marvelous vacation.
    And Francesca seems to add a lot to the style of the experience.

Always a lovely time when we are all together, Shimon. Can hardly wait for the coming summer when the grandparents will again join us for a few days during our summer holiday. ;-)

17. Fantastic pictures! What a wonderful Chateau :)

18. meryscarsa says:

Malou, what lovely pictures!! The place is just amazing. I love flowers photos and the one where your little daughter is reading the book and the chateaus is a little bit far.
    As always incredible photos.

19. thenry90 says:

Amazing pictures!!

20. beautiful post, enchanting pictures.

21. janets123 says:

Great pics! Especially loved the gardens. Inspires me to try to do something with my rosemary plant next time I trim it. :D FYI, the clusters of tiny yellow blooms are Lantana; pink variegated blooms are Gladioli & the butterfly is resting on a Verbena. Enjoyed the adventure.

22. Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing :-) No one does gardens like the French and the British, do they?

23. Malou, I enjoy the photos from your travels, but your Francesca is always the highlight of your posts! She’s adorable.

24. Oh my goodness what an amazing place! So much detail in the garden area! I love the old stone walls as well :) And …of course… your family photo HAHAHA! So fun :D

25. llafont says:

Those pictures are lovely scalloped gardens, great pictures, wonderful blog, love the new pasley background.

26. celia knox says:

Wow, I adore your photos! It’s been my dream since I was 13 to visit France and see places like this. One day I’ll get there!!

Thank you, Celia. I am sure that one day soon you will be exploring every nook and corner of France because you have that ever burning dream in your heart. I had that since childhood, to go places, visit castles and palaces, get to the top of the Alps, etc. Keep that dream alive. ;-)