Picnic and fishing at the Dordogne River

Picnic under the shade of trees by the river bank makes for perfect summer memories

Fishing for baby trout in the Dordogne River

Fishing for baby trout in the Dordogne River

It was yet again another very warm summer day and my parents-in-law’s last day in the Dordogne. After checking out from Le Chambellan which has been their home away from home in the last few days, we all headed to the nearby Dordogne River for one last visit to this idyllic place from where we all had a great time — having picnic and fishing before driving to Bergerac for their flight back to Holland.

With her pink net and just slathered with a thick layer of sunblock, Francesca together with her father spent a great deal of time netting baby and juvenile trouts in the shallow waters of Dordogne while me, Opa and Oma watched with delight in the shades by the river bank. Lunch was a picnic of French goodies which can never be any nicer than in such a setting.

Picnic of French bread accompanied by creamy butter, cheese and terrine

Picnic of French bread accompanied by creamy butter, cheese and terrine

Opa and Oma

Opa and Oma

Father and daughter fishing for baby trouts

Father and daughter fishing for baby trouts

Francesca with her catch of trout that went into the bottle filled with water (she later released them back in the river)

This boy joined her in the fishing expedition

This boy joined her in the fishing expedition

The fish catchers

The fish catchers

Fishing in action -- the trouts were quite fast

Fishing in action — the trouts were quite fast

Two excited fish catchers

Two excited fish catchers

Birds in the sky

Birds in the sky

Other holiday makers

Other holiday makers

Aiming for the baby trouts

Aiming for the baby trouts

The fish catchers

The fish catchers

17 Responses to Picnic and fishing at the Dordogne River

How sweet, and memories your little lady will cherish too. Great photos. Is it so warm there just now?

Thank you, John. These are summer pictures from last year. At the moment, winter is on an extended stay here and we see no respite at the moment. ;-)

2. How lovely to see young children entranced by nature.

Malou …. thanks for bringing the summer to me … let us jump the spring this year *smile Amazing how kids can play and communicate without any problems . doesn’t matter what language they may speak. Always amaze me … and we adults can’t manage.
    This a wonderful gallery of a close family holiday. I love that you always travel with Oma and Opa. I miss France now. Thanks for taking me along.

I guess spring is giving us a big snub this year, Viveka. It is still freezing here, no snow but thin layer of ice on the water and combined with the wind, the chill factor is just too much.

Kids are also longing for warmer weather when they can be out playing without their thick coats.

Just booked the summer holidays…and opa and oma are also joining us for a week. ;-)

4. I remember going to the lake & catching the little fishies w/my net. Truly wonderful memories for your family & especially for Francesca.

5. Such a lovely thing to allow a child to ‘catch’ fish in a net, Malou! A really fine learning experience!

Looks as if you all were enjoying that day, and the luncheon choice is perfect…light, yet very satisfying!

Wonderful images of this gorgeous area…I shall continue to dream of visiting la France…perhaps a dream which would come true?

It was indeed a lovely experience to go fishing in the river. I had the same childhood memories of spending summer days catching fish in the river.

We’re big picnic fans now and this is something that we plan to do again when the weather warms up….

France is such a beautiful country with so much to offer… Believe in dreams for in me, they all came through. I used to be a country mouse from the Philippines and I never thought that I will be here yet here I am… ;-)

Malou, I have returned to WP.com, i’m at http://ourretiredlife.org/ now. Be well!

7. The Rider says:

I am so glad that WordPress directed me to your doorstep! This is a wonderful blog, which I will follow gladly! I even understand the Dutch language, been to Holland a few times. With Dutch ancestors- we share the love of the language and culture…

Thank you for dropping by. I believe Afrikaans is like the old Dutch so I’m sure that you can understand Dutch very well. Your part of the world is still a dream destination for me which I hope to realize someday. -)

Ahh! This makes me want summer to come even sooner! Your little one looks like she had so much fun!