Caramel popcorn

Caramel popcorn

Caramel popcorn

I love popcorn but my preference is for the sweet version, preferably caramel popcorn. My husband at first thought of sweet popcorn as very weird and so did his parents. Anyway, since I was really missing sweet popcorn, I scoured the internet for an easy recipe. There were quite a lot of versions and most of them require light corn syrup (typical American) which is not an easy ingredient to find in Holland as supermarkets do not sell them. I could get them from the Asian shops which sell most of the sought after imported foodstuffs.

I didn’t know what to expect from this caramel popcorn recipe but the good reviews were enough to motivate me. Compared to the other recipes that I’ve seen which require baking the popcorn after pouring the caramel a further hour, this recipe was quick and straight forward. Took me less than 15 minutes from popping the corn till the finished product, I was pleasantly surprised by the result. Even my skeptical husband and parents-in-law became instant fans of this caramel popcorn. Warning: A calorie bomb with its ingredients of butter and sugar so be careful as it is so easy to keep on eating especially while watching a nice movie on TV…

Ingredients:

Popcorn
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup popcorn

Caramel
3/4 cup sugar
125 grams butter
2 tablespoons honey
pinch of salt
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped (optional)

Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot enough, add the popcorn. Cover with tight-fitting lid. Shake the pan gently when the corn starts popping. Remove from heat when the corn starts popping. Transfer to a large bowl, discarding any unpopped corn.

Plain popcorn - popped from 1/2 cup raw popcorn and 1/4 cup oil

Plain popcorn – popped from 1/2 cup raw popcorn and 1/4 cup oil

2. Make caramel. Combine butter, sugar, honey and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, bring to the boil, uncovered and without stirring for 5 to 7 minutes or until amber colored.

Caramel is made from 125 grams butter, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsps. honey and a pinch of salt

Caramel is done when it reaches amber color, around 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat

3. Remove from heat. Pour caramel over popcorn and stir until popcorn is coated. Set aside to cool. Break into pieces.

Caramel is poured over the popcorn until evenly coated

Caramel is poured over the popcorn until evenly coated

42 Responses to Caramel popcorn

1. Tom says:

My mom always made popcorn balls around Christmas time, some green, some red. About three inches in diameter, they are easy to make while everything is still warm and tacky. Of course, one must coat the hands with butter first … and that adds to later goodness. Great fun to eat.

You may be able to tell that I got to assist when I was little. But mom also mailed them to us along with her fudge until I was into my 50s, and she was no longer able to make them.

I love the idea of popcorn with maple syrup. Maple syrup is also something that we cannot get from the supermarket here, another special item that I can only get from the Toko (Asian shops) here. ;-)

2. lucindalines says:

Oh it looks so yummy, I can’t wait to go home and make popcorn.

3. CokaRabbit says:

OMG, I love Caramel popcorn!! My office always has Caramel popcorn at the kitchen. Can’t resist them at all!! Now I can make them at home!! Thanks for sharing!

4. Miss P says:

i love caramel corn!!!

5. That looks so good… I’m going to try the maple syrup option as I am allergic to butter and cane sugar (which is present in corn syrup). The walnut oil might be a challenge here, but I’m going to have a look. I could always sprinkle on some ground walnuts… Got me thinking… Is it lunchtime yet?? Getting hungry, too! LOL

6. Theadora says:

YUM. Dangerous recipe. I’m a huge fan of the sweet popcorn snack! I love the pecan addition, Malou! T. (Your top shot of the popcorn is gorgeous, by the way. Scrumptious-looking.)

7. Lucid Gypsy says:

I love it but not the shiny bits between my teeth!

8. Shareena Floro-Bernstein says:

Great snack for a ballgame or to the movies! My fave, Malou!

Hi Nina! Yes, great snack but just extremely calorific. I miss those Jack & Jill sweet popcorns we have from way, way back and since the people here only go for salty popcorns, I had to make it myself. ;-)

I like popcorn too … but I like my salty …. tried caramel in Canada and I couldn’t eat them – over there they have the most wired … flavors. But yours look divine and dangerous. If I just a big bowl with ice cream otherwise I would had made myself some popcorn now. Watching a TV-series about the catholic church in the 1400’s – very good.

10. Kitty says:

How wonderful! Thank you, Malou…glad your family appreciates this recipe, too! :)

It looks totally delish!!

12. That looks delish all right, but I am eating low-carb and sugar free so none for me. Sigh! Maybe later.

13. akhivar says:

I have tried before… yummy! my kids just love it…

14. As I read this, Malou, it is 7:30 AM Monday morning…and you have made me so hungry–for caramel corn, which I have always preferred over regular popcorn! Such a naughty girl you are to do that to me this early (going shopping later, for popcorn, of course!)!

15. Meenakshi says:

I like the fact that your recipe does not use corn syrup! I am a big fan of caramel popcorn- it trumps cheese-flavoured anyday!!

16. My one great weakness – CARAMEL POPCORN! :D I always miss it at the movies here in Finland. Funny that caramel popcorn never took off here in Scandinavia. How wonderful yours turned out and thank you heaps for the great recipe! Sharon

The Europeans prefer the salted version of the popcorn, I guess. The sweet variety is very much American. Most sweet popcorn recipes call for corn syrup which is a very uncommon ingredient here in Holland. ;-)

• But guess what we have here in Finland??!! We have caramel sauce sold as toppings for cakes and ice-creams. I guess that would work pretty good too eh?! I’ll introduce caramel popcorn to the Finns and maybe it’ll take Finland by a storm :D

17. What are you trying to do to me?? HAHA! This looks amazing! I will be making it shortly I’m sure :P

18. Pingback: Sticky Caramel Popcorn Cups | Quick & Easy Party Snack For Kids | Masala Art