What happened to spring?

Snow-covered "forget me not" blooms

Snow-covered “forget me not” blooms

Spring is always a much awaited and celebrated season in Holland. In this very flat country, the Dutch ingenuity of creating flower wonderlands in spring has always attracted millions of visitors from all over the world.

Dutch flower fields - typical spring scenery

Dutch flower fields – typical spring scenery

Easter egg hunt from 2 years ago -- weather was warm then, almost like summer so the kids had so much fun with the egg hunt

Easter egg hunt from 2 years ago — weather was warm then, almost like summer so the kids had so much fun with the egg hunt

Egg hunt from 2 years ago -- we're longing for that weather this time.  Forecast for Sunday is not so encouraging at just around 5 degrees Celsius at the warmest

Egg hunt from 2 years ago — we’re longing for that weather this time. Forecast for Sunday is not so encouraging at just around 5 degrees Celsius at the warmest

As soon as March starts, I’m already in extreme anticipation of the new season with plans to hit the flower fields and visit to Keukenhof topping the agenda. This year, however, that usual enthusiasm is tempered by the current reality of freezing temperature which if forecasts are to be relied upon, is very discouraging as it is expected to persist till most of the month of April.

What happened to spring? Why the big snub this year? Will it still ever come or are we just going to progress to summer and skip spring all together? I hope not….

We had an infinitesimal glimpse of spring three weeks ago for two days with the mercury tipping at 15 degrees Celsius at the warmest and enough to awaken the croci from their winter slumber. My little girl and I went out as she wanted to pick a few blooms and that was all that spring has been so far from our end.

Forget-me-nots with snow dusting

Croci

Croci

Crocus

Crocus

Francesca

Francesca

71 Responses to What happened to spring?

1. Kitty says:

Spring is very late here in Wisconsin, too, but it’s coming, Malou! The snow is retreating and today, temperatures will rise to about 50 F, which is actually “normal” for this date, but will feel like heaven. Hang in there! You have such a beautiful family; it’s always a joy to see your photographs, too. :)

Too difficult to be optimistic, Kitty. It snowed yesterday afternoon which stayed till this morning. Normal temperature at this time of the year is around 13 degrees Celsius but we’re 10 degrees and even more below that. Spring is about 3 weeks behind at the moment. ;-)

Kitty is right, it’s about the same here in Michigan which is very close to Wisconsin – “real” spring can’t arrive fast enough!!

3. Lovely post Malou. Still chilly here in Virginia too with two snows this month along. Happy Easter!

Thank you, Diane. We had snow again yesterday and today a little bit fell but melted right away. I hope tomorrow it stays dry for the children’s egg hunt. ;-)

4. April is nearly here. It will get better! We’ve had cold too here in New Jersey.

5. What about the tulips this year?

Tulips are running at least 3 weeks late this year, Andrew. Drove around the polder area this weekend but the tulips are hardly out from the straw cover. ;-)

6. Jean Monique says:

Hi!

I recently moved to http://www.jeanmonique.com and I hope you could still follow me there. :)

Thanks!

xoxo,
    Monique

7. We have summer like weather here in California…:-)

8. Cassie says:

Lovely pictures of the wintery spring flower. I hope the real spring arrives soon though.

Thank you, Cassie. Let’s keep our fingers crossed. Sun has been shining in the last 2 days although the temp is still way from hitting double digit. ;-)

9. Ha ha, welcome to my world, Malou. We hardly ever get a nice spring here in Newfoundland, Canada. Love the pics of the forget-me-nots, though! And your little girl is growing up before our eyes. :)

I’m a tropical girl, Jennifer. This winter is just taking too long that I can hardly wait for the warmer weather. Holland is lovely in spring with the tulips that it is famous the world over. I long for those days spent hopping through the flower fields. ;-)

10. restlessjo says:

I had thought of trying to get to Keukenhof this year, Malou, but I’m not sure that it would be the best of years. Your photos are delicious, though. Our hellebores too are looking a little bewildered.
    Happy Easter to you.

Happy Easter too, Jo. Keukenhof is already open but I’m sure that the best of the blooms are still far from peaking up. Spring is about 3 weeks late this year so the best time to visit will just be at the end of this month. ;-)

11. flyfishbrat says:

We too are longing for spring here in Southwest Indiana, USA. A teaser last week, then snow was also upon our early blooms. I enjoy your photos so much, thanks for sharing.

Good to know that I am now alone in complaining about the seemingly never-ending winter. I’m looking so much forward to spring but there is little sign of it than inside my home from tulips in the vases. ;-)

12. Lynne Ayers says:

Can you make sure spring has fully sprung my the end of April because we are going to be in Rotterdam ;)

13. ladyredspecs says:

Beautiful photos. The weather seems to be tipsy turvy worldwide. Summer refuses to leave Melbourne in Oz. think positive, at least the Easter eggs won’t melt before they are found!

We’re experiencing extremes then, weather-wise. Indeed with the cold weather, the Easter eggs remained hard as it was 3 degrees then. ;-)

14. samalbahaykubo says:

This will be that ‘global warming’ we keep hearing so much about!

Wow … can’t believe that forget me not … is blooming where you are. They don’t bloom until early summer with us.
    Your photos are so beautiful .. with the flowers and the snow. So long it doesn’t freeze at night, they will be okay. Easter is very early this year .. but the winter has been a bit wired this year, on and off. Our blooming snowdrops has frozen, and so the tulip shots … so envy for your crocus.

These forget-me-nots are not really the one planted in the ground but the ones from the garden centers that we buy close to blooming point and put out when we think the spring weather has already arrived. Too bad that we underestimated the fury of winter this year.

The blooming crocus are on extended stay because the chill won’t go away just yet. ;-)

• viveka says:

I took photos of some crocuses today .. very small and fragile, strong blue .. love to see in the park, but everything is a bit late this year.
        I thought you had them on your patio deck or something.
        I just adore “forget me not” – such a pretty little flower.

16. Looks chilly, but those pretty flowers are so stunning covered in the snow.

17. chrisstov says:

What lovely shots of snow on flowers. Pictures of those forget-me-nots I shall not forget.

18. meryscarsa says:

Malou, Where I live, south of south of Spain, we always live in Spring, we don’t have winter it is true, so I like so much to see how flowers bloom in Holland with all that snow!
    Congratulations as always your photos are so great!!

19. puppy1952 says:

Wow – Snow fascinates me because I see it so seldom. I can’t imagine waking up to snowflakes in my garden. Your photographs are beautiful. Here at the southern tip of Africa where I am spending the Easter Weekend, Summer has been unceremoniously ousted by our first Winter rains. This fishing village is full of disappointed holiday makers. Enjoy your Spring when eventually it does arrive:-)

Being from the tropics, I’ve always been fascinated by snow but this time, I’ve had enough. I can’t wait for the weather to really warm up. We all need cheering up here. ;-)

20. It’s certainly been an odd couple of years. This time last year in the UK we were looking at a drought, this year it’s still winter! Your photos of the Forget-me-not flowers in the snow are lovely, they really capture the idea of delicate strength that flowers seem to have.

Thank you, Noeline. We’re also faced with drought-like situation here because aside from this little snowfall, we’ve not seen much. ;-)

21. The photos of the flowers with ice & snow are sad but stunning. I was just out in our yard trying to see if there was a hint of new buds on the trees but in some places we still have almost a foot of snow. It’s hard to believe that in a couple of weeks they will be running the Boston Marathon. My niece runs in it & last year she & many runners opted out because of the extreme heat wave! I’d been happy with just a hint of warm air, just a little.

Let’s hope for warmer weather. It is still freezing at night here, there is still frost each morning. I’m longing for the explosion of colors which are typical at this time of the year but so far, the trees and other plants here are also on extended winter slumber.

Well, I hope your niece will have just the perfect weather and temp during the marathon — not too hot and not too cold either. ;-)

• We’ve had some luck in the past 2 days with warmer days & all of a sudden my daffodils & tulips are sprouting up out of the ground. I’m finally getting the feeling that it could possibly happen & hope you see signs of spring too.

22. lucindalines says:

It seems that spring is late all over. We finally have snow geese coming north through the Dakotas, supposidly that is the real sign.

23. Sheila says:

Ah, a chilly spring! I’ve had many of those, spending most of my life in the foothills of Colorado, and now living in SE Alaska. I have daffodils coming up in my flower bed, but I’ll be wearing a jacket this morning as I go to my church service. At least your photos are lovely, even if the flowers have to peek through snow and ice cover! ~ Sheila

This is by far the coldest springtime here in many decades, Sheila. Certainly my first time to have a spring this cold in my almost 15 years here. The daffodils will still take a few weeks to come out and cheer us up at the current going rate of the temperature. ;-)

24. It is the same here in Chicago, Malou…a very late Spring, with the crocus only blooming well in the past few days…and the tulips are definitely way behind their normal bloom time. The cold weather has slowed down their growth, even though the days are longer. Waiting is difficult!

Your images here are very spectacular…and nothing quite so adorable as Francesca with her croci bouquet!

We will only see the tulips next month at the way this chilly temperature is holding up. It is only inside the house that we are seeing a bit of spring — from the tulips in the flower vase.

Francesca too, can hardly wait for spring as she loves flowers and making lovely bouquets with them. ;-)

25. Meenakshi says:

Beautiful pictures, Malou! Can’t believe it’s still so chilly there- it is getting very warm here in Mumbai and should be sweltering soon!

Thank you, Meenakshi. We’re at the opposite sides of the spectrum temperature-wise. I really long for the warm weather as I am still a tropical girl at heart. ;-)

26. And yet, such a lovely photo (my favorite little flowers)!

I hope the flowers can recover from all that frost. Poor things! It was cloudy yesterday for Easter. By evening it rained here in Northern California. But, we still had decent weather.

28. Loving the snow crusted forget-me-nots! But the fairest flower is always your baby girl. Not a sign of flower yet here in Finland! :D Sharon

29. I love pictures of snow on flowers! HAHA! It’s so sad and funny at the same time! It’s all, “Nooooo we want the sun not snow!” lol

30. Reggie says:

Brrr, that looks sooo cold. I imagine the Easter Bunny might have found it very difficult to find nice hiding places for all his colourful eggs – he was probably afraid they would all get lost in the snow.

Are those eggs from 2 years ago hand-painted? They are beautiful!

31. C.C. says:

Clearly you do not need to publish this comment, but I was unsure as to how else to contact you. I am editor of a blog of daily spiritual reflections (located here: WordsOfWisdom.uucg.org ), and I would like to use one of your images from this post as our banner for the month of February, with your kind permission. We write according to monthly themes, and our February theme is Ecology. The simple beauty of your images of forget-me-nots in the snow are exactly what I am looking for to grace our header for the month. I would appreciate it if you could get back to me to let me know if we may use the image, and how you would like the copyright/photo credit to read.

C.C. McQuain