One lovely spring day at the flower fields

Our family at the tulip fields in the Noordoost Polder

Our family at the tulip fields in the Noordoost Polder

One thing that spring affords me generously is a cost-free trip to seemingly endless floral wonderland. In the Noordoost Polder, there’s over hundred kilometers of flower fields to drive through and the whole journey doesn’t cost a thing except for the car’s petrol needs.

On Ascension Day (a Dutch public holiday) almost three weeks ago, we made this annual foray into the flower fields with my friend Elsa as well as my parents-in-law joining us. The trip was very Dutch as we brought our picnic basket and had our picnic lunch just beside the flower fields. Who needed a fancy restaurant lunch when we could have ours in the open with the seemingly endless fields of tulips right before our eyes.

We had a great time going from one field to the next and finally capping our floral wonderland tour at the exhibit of hundreds of types of tulips where I went crazy for macro shots despite the very windy condition.

Fields of pink tulips

Father and daughter

Yellow tulips

Yellow tulips

Red and pink tulips

Red and pink tulips

111 Responses to One lovely spring day at the flower fields

1. Your close-ups of the flowers are always great!

2. Sigh…beautiful as usual! I look forward to your tulip forays every spring!

3. K says:

What a wonderful post! You made my day with these beautiful photos of those gorgeous blooms! Thanks!

4. K says:

What a lovely post! Thanks for making my day with those beautiful flower blooms!

5. What an amazing collection of tulips you got to enjoy. Thank you so much for sharing.

6. cmbanerjee says:

Love love love tulips! So happy to see these wide variety! Beautiful pictures. Lovely family pics!

7. RoSy says:

WOW – like an ocean of flowers – Breathtaking!

8. thoaread says:

Beautiful flower and talented photographer! I like photography and travelling very much.

9. I have been waiting on this! Last year when I was introduced to your blog for the first time it was your beautiful pictures of spring Dutch tulips – and this time I am going to share your blog on my FaceBook page – these flowers are just too pretty not to share!

Thank you, Kelli. I feel privileged to be in this country where this beauty is simply out there for me to grasp and appreciate each spring time. ;-)

10. Kitty says:

How lovely, Malou; thank you! What vivid colors and endless fields…I wonder if your sweet daughter dreams of these…it would seem a childhood full of such wonder would create interesting memories.

I feel silly asking, but do they grow these just to exhibit and to amaze, or do they cut them and sell them, or are these “test gardens” for developing bulbs?

Just glorious! Love the photo of you and your husband, too! :)

Peace to your week.

Thank you, Kitty. In many ways, my daughter thinks that these flower fields are pretty ordinary just like when I was growing up in the Philippines where I never bothered about the rice fields and coconut plantations because they were “normal”. I would later find it so funny when my husband insisted to have his pictures with the rice fields or coconut trees in the background. ;-)

You would find it unbelievable what happens to these tulips. Here’s a blog I wrote about this subject sometime ago.

We were just there in time because the farmers were already preparing to cut off the flowers.

11. These photos are beautiful as always.

12. Such a riot of color, Malou!!! I’ve never seen the ‘multi-colors’ except once lately, just red and yellow combo…those you’ve shown have greens and pink, both stark and subdued—so very lovely! Who’d have thought there could be so many different varieties back when the tulip fields were first planted?

Thanks so much for this tour…tulips are among the ‘top five’ favorite flowers in my life!

13. bebs1 says:

What a perfect place for a picnic!

14. Amy says:

Oh my gosh, I wish I lived near these tulips…how awesome. And your daughter is gorgeous!!! So so adorable :)

15. What a treat for us to come along too! Spectacular, really, what else to say except congratulations on those macros in the wind!

Thank you. I must still be thankful for the wind because they influence the weather change. The day before was cloudy and because of the strong wind, we could enjoy the sunshine on this particular day. ;-)

16. How lovely! I didn’t make it out to the tulip fields in Skagit Valley (northern Washington State) this year and was so sad to miss out. This gave me a temporary fix – thank you! :) Lovely shots!

Thank you. Glad to know about this post giving you a temporary fix. I hope next springtime you make it to the tulip fields out there. ;-)

17. I would never get tired of wandering those fields :)

18. So beautiful, I’ve visited a spring flower garden once, but when i see this, i think i had not visited one. heheheheh

19. Stunning, Malou! I always love your photos of flowers, but you really outdid yourself here! They look gorgeous! One day, I am going to visit those fields and have lunch next to them like you did.

Btw, I also wanted to mention how much I like the new background of the blog! Nice pattern!

20. Lucid Gypsy says:

Wow, it must be a dazzling sight!

21. justmusing says:

The effort you give to sharing is incredible! With these flowers, that will eventually travel the world, it feels as if the whole world is embodied in the flower – i.e., what’s ever good ; ) Thank you!

22. restlessjo says:

Ribbons and ribbons of colour, Malou, and the close-ups are absolutely breathtaking. What a gorgeous little girl she is, too. Thanks for cheering me up on this wet disaster of an English day. :)

Thank you, Jo. This spring has been one of unpredictable kind, sunny at times but most days cold and wet. I’m glad of the few nice days that I was able to savor the colors and scents of spring. ;-)

23. Mike Sinnott says:

Beautiful colours. Amazing they have produced mutations, crossing varieties and getting multi-coloured tulips.

Thank you, Mike. The cross-breeding is an endless process here so new types/varieties are still being produced all the time. ;-)

24. Especially like the variegated ones – amazing!

25. What lovely photographs and colours. Recently while transiting through Schipol airport, I had the opportunity to buy some tulips!

Your post reminds me of William Wordsworth’s Daffodils, and I quote:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
    In vacant or in pensive mood,
    They flash upon that inward eye
    Which is the bliss of solitude;
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils

I can well imagine that the images of the tulips would fill you with pleasure for a long.long time.

Shakti

Thank you, Shakti. I love that poem too which I vividly remember from grade school. Strangely enough though, I didn’t have any idea what type of flower the daffodil was because I am from the tropics. ;-)

26. sassyray says:

WOW! Just wow!

27. sillyliss says:

Oh how I adore your flower posts!

28. dasganu says:

Superb photos!
    – Ganesh

29. Jerry says:

How pretty. It must have smelled awesome.

30. Absolutely stunning Malou. Did you ever read Michael Pollan’s book “The Botany of Desires” where he writes about massive fortunes being spent on a particular tulip bulb? I can almost understand why. As for the wind and close ups. It can be perfectly calm and then start blowing just before you snap your photo– every time, and with malice. I swear. :) Curt

Thank you, Curt. Never read the book but I know about that classic story of the first stock market bust / economic crisis due to the rare black tulips. An analogy of the current crisis is being drawn from that story because much has to do with speculations and with people wanting to get rich fast. ;-)

31. I’ve certainly chosen the perfect time to come round.. those fields of flowers are just stunning! Your little Francesca has grown, my goodness, she’s so beautiful!! xx

32. Reblogged this on tinwhilemeandering's Blog and commented:
    Definitely going to my list of places I need to visit.

33. lucindalines says:

Beautiful flowers and family. Love the photos. Thanks for sharing.

34. chrisstov says:

Beautiful displays.

35. Colline says:

These fields of flowers are so beautiful. How lovely to be ale to walk in them.

36. Sally says:

Lovely post as always. Pictures are beautiful …

37. pdjpix says:

I think you’ve covered every type of tulip available. Such a good idea going to the fields. Amazing colour, unlike anywhere else in the natural world. I have a couple of posts specifically on Holland as well as many others of my favourite European country.

Best regards Peet

Oh, this is just a tip of the hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of types of tulips there are. Checked your post on Holland and they are wonderful! ;-)

38. Sartenada says:

Sigh. Although that I know Your flower fields are lovely to see, but Your great photos praise them enormously.

39. Sheila says:

Amazing photos…what a joy to see all this beauty! I can only imagine seeing it in person. What a gift! Thank you for sharing! ~ Sheila

40. meryscarsa says:

Malou, as you has told me I HAVE TO GO to Netherlands and visit these beautiful tulips fields!!! As always your photos are great. I love the yellow tulip and the spanish tulip, red and yellow.
    Warmest regards

41. Such beauty. It fills the heart with joy.

42. a garden of tulips. Wow!

43. The tulip really is the queen of flowers. Such variety. Great shots.

44. Rusha Sams says:

Not only did nature give you something stunningly beautiful to work with, your photos are incredible. Love the close-up ones especially. Thanks for sharing. I hope some day to get there to see all of this. http://ohtheplaceswesee.com

Thank you. I am so grateful of the privilege to be able to witness this amazing beauty every spring. I hope you too will make it here in spring one day. ;-)

45. These made me so happy :D

46. All I can say is these are so beautiful.

47. TBM says:

Wow! So many. Thanks for sharing.

48. Reggie says:

Oh my goodness, these photos are just spectacular!

49. lungomoto says:

Thx for sharing, I planned to make this kind of pics too but i was too early, mid April in Holland and no tulip :(

50. angelinahue says:

Looks beautiful – my mum will love being in this tulip garden!

51. Love all of the beautiful colors of the tulips! Looks like your parents-in-law, daughter and friend all had a great time!

52. mariannegv says:

Wow! This is sooo beautiful! I would love to visit this place.

53. Bibba Lee says:

Beautiful! What a wonderful experience!

54. I always love your tulip pictures! I’m planning my own visit to the tulips this spring. Which area do you think is best to visit? (We’ll be based in Amsterdam and have a car for 1 day.)
    And, how does it work? Do the farmers mind if you walk through the fields, or are there marked places to stop and take pictures?

Thanks for the travel inspiration!

Thank you. If you are staying in Amsterdam, then I will recommend a visit to Keukenhof and drive through the flower fields in the towns around this spring park.

You can stop and have pictures taken In the flower fields. Normally the farmers don’t mind.