Hiking in the land where the hills are alive…

Up high in the mountains we do realize how much beauty there is that we oftentimes overlook back in the busy rat race that is every day life...

As the month of June inch its way, the excitement for the coming summer is starting to gather pace. The past week of glorious sunshine is also fueling that summer holiday feeling.

Still lots of patience needed as there are several more weeks to go before the school break. In our region (Middle Netherlands) will be the last to have the school break — only on week 30 (from 20 July to 1 September) which is pretty late this year. Because of this late holiday, we are going to Austria and hopefully, good weather will be on our side this time. The last time that we were there 4 years ago at just the onset of summer, we had a week of just rain and chilly if not freezing temperature.

On this post, I’m taking you high up in the alps on one of the very few days that we saw the sun on this holiday. Near our camping site was this cable lift that took us up the mountains but we opted to hike on the way down. Francesca was then a 20-month old toddler and fitted well in a backpack baby carrier. The hike down the mountain was a very rewarding adventure as we were able to witness first hand the incredible and beckoning beauty of this part of the planet — alpine cows grazing in the meadow, wild blooms of amazing colors, tarn that on a clear day reflects the infinite blue sky, incredible vantage point to view the picturesque villages in the valley and many more.

While the good weather days were few and far between, moments such as this trip we had up the mountain and down were worth the holiday in the Alps. I can hardly wait for another hiking adventure.

Picturesque villages in the valley as viewed from the mountain

Picturesque villages in the valley as viewed from the mountain

Father and daughter

Father and daughter

Father and daughter inside the cable car

Father and daughter inside the cable car

Little girl can hardly wait to check out snow remnants

Little girl can hardly wait to check out snow remnants

Father and daughter

Father and daughter

Mountain tarn -- on a clear day reflects the blue sky above

Mountain tarn — on a clear day reflects the blue sky above

Alpine cow by the alpine shelter

Tree-line part of the mountain

Tree-line part of the mountain

Wild flowers carpeting meadows

Wild flowers carpeting meadows

Butterfly

Butterfly

63 Responses to Hiking in the land where the hills are alive…

1. The Rider says:

Beautiful again…

2. Carole says:

Brilliant pictures. Thanks for sharing your adventure in the Alps. :-)

3. Colline says:

Such beautiful photos.

4. egore89 says:

Awesome pictures, hope the weather is fine for you this time. Where in Austria was this? It looks like somewhere to add to the list.

Thank you. I’m hoping too that by end of next month, we’ll only have gorgeously warm days. This place was close to Bad Gastein in Salzburgerland. ;-)

5. RoSy says:

What a great opportunity for Francesca to get to know the world at such a young age!
    Thanks as always for sharing a past adventure. :)

6. ksbeth says:

this is stunningly beautiful, thanks for sharing )

7. These are beautiful as always.

8. Beautiful landscapes, beautiful flowers. I’ve forgotten how beautiful the Alps are; it has been many years since I have been there. Thanks for a wonderful post!

Thank you. Four years ago was the last time that I’ve been there and it now feels like forever. The beauty of the mountains is simply timeless. ;-)

9. Beautiful photos! And looks like it was a fun family outing too. Thanks for sharing :)

10. thirdeyemom says:

Wow, these are gorgeous pictures!

Beautiful scenery Malou, I wonder if the altitude gave you issues…

Thank you, John. No, I was quite fine with the altitude although I heard that people from low-lying areas can indeed have difficulties when going up mountains. A great part of Holland is of course, below sea level. ;-)

12. Deb Platt says:

What a beautiful series of photos!

13. I have never been to Austria, Malou, but I have spent much of my life in high mountain areas. Your photos suggest the reason why. The winning photo for me: The Alpine cow and the Alpine shelter. –Curt

You must visit that part of the world, Curt. The alps are just amazing and there is so much more to see too. The alpine villages and the old way of life that can still be seen out there is just enthralling. ;-)

14. chrisstov says:

Lovely scenes of the Alps and some very interesting looking Alpine flowers.

15. jdschok says:

Thanks for sharing.

16. Kitty says:

Gorgeous photography…how sweet Francesca looks: Reminds how quickly childhood passes. So happy you’ll be re-visiting the Alps again this summer and I’ll hope for perfect weather…and a lovely time, either way, Malou! Thank you for this beautiful post!

Thank you, Kitty. Francesca’s my barometer of time and indeed, time flies and childhood is a fleeting moment. I can hardly wait to be high up the mountains again (especially as we are in a country which is below sea level for most part). ;-)

17. mandala56 says:

Those gentians are especially gorgeous!

18. Simply gorgeous – the flowers, the mountains, and your family.

19. Roopa says:

Excellent post with some lovely pictures!

20. meryscarsa says:

Malou, incredible landscape!! I supposed that you can follow a path around the mountain!! Francesca was a little baby, so cute!!

Warmest regards from capturaviaje.com.

Thank you, Maria. Yes, there’s a path to follow but not a very straightforward one. At times we thought we were already so close to our destination but it was still a long walk further. Still, the stunning sceneries made every step worth it. ;-)

21. Purely.. Kay says:

Awww Malou you guys look so amazing. I always live through your amazing vacations. Beautiful photos

22. ventisqueras says:

They are beautiful images, especially since they are in the company of a beautiful family,
    If you know let me know the name of that big hairy violet flower, the number six, is very special
    I was glad of your visit in my home
    happy night, and caressing your beautiful children

Thank you. I don’t know the name of the hairy violet flower but they are succulent ones like aloe.

I love your blog even if I do not speak Italian. ;-)

23. Nina says:

WOW! What an amazing place!

24. What breathtaking views! I’d say Francesca definitely had a good deal going in the backpack. That photo of the Alpine cow with the horns – was he charging at you?

25. Ah, the ever-glorious Alps, Malou! You captured everything so superbly back then, I wonder how much more beauty you’ll present from the upcoming trip–which I sincerely hope, for your sakes, has gorgeous weather!

My special favorites here are the many wild blossoms…so very gorgeous, and quite different from those in many gardens.

Looking forward to the new pics, as I’m certain you also are!

The alps can leave you breathless with its exhilarating beauty when the weather is at its best. I’m looking forward to days of sunshine up there with my little girl having the best of times gathering wild alpine blooms. ;-)

• Oh, how I envy you those moments, Malou! Nothing quite like the Alps, with the valley upon valley of little villages to peak one’s curiosity, and so many flowers to gather and a great place to just run in the freshest air!!

26. Austria is the most beautiful country to visit. We hope to go there again. Have you been to Hallstatt? I recommend it, as the scenery is stunning.

27. Wow! incredible view…you’re very very lucky!

28. angelinahue says:

Thanks for visiting my blog and great to see these lovely pics in Asturias! I’m going for a week of summer holidays in Asturias in August and am looking forward to hiking : )

29. Love the pictures. What a beautiful hike. I love Austria. The hills are so green, the scenery is stunning and the people are so friendly. Have a good time on your trip this year!

30. Perfect title! These are breathtaking :) your baby girl is so little and she’s always been so photogenic! Haha!

31. Nothing like hinking in the Alps! So beautiful. So nicely captured with your photos…

32. ibelivetoday says:

beautiful pics!! Thanks for spreading the joy :) totally enjoyed it, especially the father-dotr pics..
    Mindblowing Malou..
    Keep photohopping and sharing :)

Cheers