Drive through Grossglockner High Alpine Road

Spectacular scenery of snow-capped mountains and carpet of wild alpine blooms

Spectacular scenery of snow-capped mountains and carpet of wild alpine blooms

Many say that driving through the hairpin bends of Grossglockner High Alpine Road is the ultimate test for a good driver. There must be some truth to that because this road that goes up to about 3,798 meters above sea level through some 36 tricky bends and steep mountain cliffs is no laughing matter. It is a tall order to negotiate through such challenging conditions and not fall under the spell of amazing mountain sceneries that can make one lose focus which even for just a matter of seconds can be catastrophic.

We made two attempts at Grossglockner with the first one characterized by poor visibility. We were told that we could come back another time without paying the €33 toll fee. When the weather improved a few days later, we were back again and certainly it was worth the effort. The drive was exhilarating — what with the amazing sceneries of snow-capped mountains, scented pine forests, meadows blanketed with colorful alpine blooms, mountain tarns with turquoise colored glacial waters, waterfalls and culminating at the glacier that is Pasterze.

We brought our picnic basket with us and stopped by a nice picnic area close to a waterfall. Nothing can be far nicer than that, to have our meal in such a surrounding and savor all that beauty. Along the way was a restaurant with a lovely children’s playground and flower garden teeming with wild alpine blooms.

I’m looking forward to another trip up Grossglockner this summer. I am already imagining my little girl in her nice summer dress running around in that flower garden, picking a bloom or two to clip in her hair and singing the “Doe a dear” from her favorite movie, “The Sound of Music”.

Glacial mountain tarns

Glacial mountain tarns

Pine-scented forests, meadows carpeted in wild blooms and snow-capped mountain peaks

Waterfalls

Little Francesca at Grossglockner

Little Francesca at Grossglockner

Grossglockner

Grossglockner

Father and daughter

Father and daughter

At the children's playground:  "Let's go this way, Francesca."

At the children’s playground: “Let’s go this way, Francesca.”

"No, I go this way, Papa."

“No, I go this way, Papa.”

Beautiful garden of wild blooms

Me

Me

Father and daughter

Father and daughter

56 Responses to Drive through Grossglockner High Alpine Road

1. restlessjo says:

It does look beautiful. My, but she’s grown since then. :)

2. Thank you for liking my post. Your photography is beautiful. Enjoy your stay in Europe. I remember lots of happy times and beautiful sights traveling there as a child. You have a lovely family.

3. Susan says:

Beautiful photos as usual :D

4. Kitty says:

Oh, goodness, how beautiful! How sweet Francesca looks trundling towards the swings. You all look wonderful…I could smell the pines and feel the cool breezes…I’ll look forward to hearing all about your adventures this summer and seeing the photographs: what a treat that will be!

Thank you, Kitty. I am really looking forward to the summer holidays but it seems like forever yet at this point with the still very busy weeks ahead of us work-wise. ;-)

5. Wow, what a gorgeous place! Another one to add to my bucket list…

6. Margie says:

I enjoyed your photos. The one time we drove this highway it was horribly windy – we didn’t get out very often to take pictures, and when we did we felt like we would get blown away!

Thank you, Margie. Too bad that you were quite unlucky with the weather on your visit. Certainly worth another trip in the future. ;-)

7. can I take a photography class from you so my photos look as awesome as yours?

8. Maddie says:

Wow you have some great photos here!

Such beautiful scenery! The drive must be very dangerous a you pointed out. Your little lady has grown so much!!

Thank you, John. Yes, she’s not a baby anymore. I still miss those days when she can still be dressed in khaki shorts and white shirts. ;-)

10. Pam says:

Stunning! It reminds me very much of Alaska.

Thank you. Alaska has so much more because it has the sea added to its stunning landscape while Austria is landlocked. ;-)

• Pam says:

You are right! Favorite memories of mine in Alaska include the sea – seeing glaciers calving into the water, orca whales, beluga whales, sea otters, sea lions, and more!

11. I couldn’t stop picturing “The Sound of Music” when I saw these pictures, too. But the song in my head was, “The Hill Are Alive…with the sound of music.” :)

12. roadtrips says:

Love the photos! I’m inspired to save for a trip to backpack in Europe.

13. Michelle says:

Oh my goodness, this is uncanny. I was just researching about this with my husband and here it is! Wonderful post as usual. Thank you, I enjoyed this today.

14. I was just thinking the Sound of Music! Beautiful photos, Malou. Looks like it was worth the drive.

15. stunning pictures like usual :)

16. chrisstov says:

Oh such beautiful mountain scenery.

17. gardenerat60 says:

This is amazing!. Heaven on earth. Thanks for those excellent photographs. May you have many more journeys.

18. ventisqueras says:

I love so much this summer, if the view is wonderful, in the middle of winter is magical, it seems to climb higher in the sky where the times are infinite in this mountain I dedicated many poems, thou hast done Poetry with photos

19. bebs1 says:

Wow, this reminds me of our visit there. The snow was much higher then and scary not as beautiful as you experienced. But I did enjoy the meadows. Enjoy your vacation.

20. Purely.. Kay says:

Your vacays are legendary. And just look at father and daughter.. there is nothing more beautiful. Loved this post

21. Yet again, beautiful pictures that just make me want to get up and go see the place for myself! I’m so jealous!

22. Sartenada says:

What a fantastic post, full of gorgeous photos. We love mountains although we have very seldom possibility to visit. Your post gave an idea for next year when we are going to made road trip.

23. dawn says:

very beautiful! love those flowers especially blue ones.. happy family!

24. This is an amazing drive with spectacular scenery!! Lovely photos!

25. Pieter Stok says:

Great Photo essay. Next time I am in Europe I must try this road. Are there any camping opportunities along this road?

26. Funny, the Sound of Music was ringing in my ears before you mentioned it. We start for Alaska next week and will be traveling through quite similar country. Great photos as always. – Curt

27. girlseule says:

Beautiful photos, looks like an amazing part of the world.

28. TBM says:

Wow that is worth the effort, but I would need a driver. Nice that you didn’t have to pay for the toll the first time.

29. That is quite a beautiful place but I certainly wouldn’t want to be the one driving. I know I’d get distracted but then again I’d be afraid my husband would be getting distracted & I’d probably be a terrible back-seat driver.
    Very cool photo inside the tunnel!

30. theresagreen says:

What a beautiful place; I always wanted to visit there, or somewhere similar since I read ‘Heidi’ as a little girl! I’m sure it’s a harsh place in the winter though..

31. Such glorious images, Malou!!! I have only been through the Swiss/Italian Alps…similar, but these are much more spectacular! Love ‘little’ Francesca exploring in her ‘cargo shorts’…she sure has grown, and I’ll wager will enjoy the upcoming trip so much more this year!

Thanks so for this ‘beauty tour’..it reminded me of the movie, “Heidi”, which I just may watch later!

32. Ok this place is gorgeous, but that tunnel picture toward the beginning was awesome!!!!! Haha